Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
burraston ponds
Has anyone fished there lately?
[signature]
i havent fished there lately, but you can catch blue gill there, i think that there is alot less pressure on them then the rainbows, and i hear that they taste great, you should give it a try, just dont use bruce for fish bait[Tongue]
[signature]
Since when do they have blue gills in there?
[signature]
I haven't fished there in years. It used to be a great place to collect shrimp. They grow huge (for fresh water shrimp) in there. Two of those on a 20 or 22 hook will get you a fish every time. I know they used to stock Rainbows in there a plenty, but I don't know if they still do. I never caught anything huge out of there, but it sure is a nice palce to spend an afternoon and is easy access for the kids.
[signature]
I know they used to have huge albino trout in there a couple of years ago but people fished them out .
[signature]
they have had blue gills in there sence, long before i moved away it is just that not a whole lot of people know about them so the word isnt really out, everybody there goes for the trout. juswt fish around some of the submerged trees and stuff.

curtis, where and how did you catch the shrimp there?

the Sad thing is i lived 5 minutes from the ponds and i didnt fish there more then a handfull of times, the crowds were just too much
[signature]
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you fish4fish.

We used to go to the shallow, swampy areas with a lot of moss growth and run a small mesh net ( I forget what the fly fisherman call it) through some of the moss. It would only take a couple of minutes to get enough for the day. Some of the shrimp in there ran 3/4". We always wondered if it was legal, but couldn't find anything in the proclamation reguarding shrimp caught and used on the same water. We figured it would have to be OK where the shrimp weren't game fish and weren't being transported.

I tried this on some other waters too. I found that Browns go nuts for those shrimp. We found a pond up Nephi canyon just off the road where we could catch some smaller shrimp, but they were still big enough to get on a tiny hook. Float that about 9' under a bubble and just wait. I only went up there a few times, but a buddy of mine caught a few Browns over 6lbs. out of that tiny diversion pond.
[signature]
WHERE ARE THE PONDS AND HOW DO YOU GET THERE FROM SALT LAKE??[shocked]
[signature]
Burraston ponds are down by Nephi. Take I-15 South. I'm not sure what exit though, possibly the Benjamin Exit or the Nephi Exit???

If you know where Mona Reservoir is it's near there.
[signature]
the easiest way is to get off of the mona exit i think it is about 236 then go west till you get to the stop sign then head south out of town and about 1 mile out of town look to the west and you will see the ponds, there are alot of trees around there.

for the nephi pond that curtis is talking about get off of the manti/nephi exit and head east up the canyon you cant miss the pond.
[signature]
In fact, if you are too busy looking for the pond to watch the road, you'll end up in it. The road bends left at the pool, if you went straight.......
[signature]
I used to work right by the stream that comed out of the pond in nephi canyon and when they would use the spillway there were some nice sized fish that came out of there and would congregate in the deeper pools behind work so i know that there are even nicer fish in the canyon pond, if someone had some ambition they could hand launch a SMALL boat on this pond and get at the fish in the middle, i've never seen a boat on there everyone shore fishes.
[signature]
I also used to work with fish4fish and years ago before he started working for me i would fish the river behind my job and man were there some giant browns in there!I would catch one and keep it sometimes and cook it at work yummy!But they stopped the flow of the river years ago and the fish all died !Now theres small rainbows in there have not fished it since they drained it. I used the grasshoppers as bait .There are several holes there that hold fish .
[signature]