Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another question about fish finders
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]I don't beleive I missed anything. [/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]What I'm saying is you really don't need dual frequency. Dual frequency is made for DEEP water. 80 ft is not considered deep water. 1000 ft deep is considered deep water. Will dual frequency work in 80 ft? Yes but there is no advantage. The 200khz, standard tranducer will do everything you are wanting.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]I'm using my dual frequency sonar as my ice fishing fishfinder with the 200khz transducer and get perfect results. Why pay more for stuff you'll rarely use or need when that extra cash can go to upgrade to the next step up model that has faster processing speed and more menu options that can inhance your fishing experience?[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]If I'm right the 480 max has an 18 degree transducer. This is fine for both your senarios. At 80 ft deep you're seeing about (without trigging it out) a 25 ft circle. That's not too big. Even at a 100 ft deep, that's less than 34ft diameter. [/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Whatever you buy should work just fine. If you've never used or seen some of the stuff you think you need then the second best thing is to rely on the experiences of people you think you can trust that have used and own it. I'm just trying to give you the culmination of my experiences to help you make the best informed decision. Whether you decide to use it is your decision. Good Luck in your search for the perfect sonar.[/size][/font]
[signature]
Thanks for the help BLM, I know I can always get great info from you. All I was saying was, I did address the pixel issue at the beginning and I thought I had that part figured out. The issue about frequency and the degree of the cone was what I wasn't so sure about, along with you and the other guys I think I understand what I need now, thanks everyone for your comments. WH2
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]You're right, I skipped right over the 480 pixels posted in my first post and zeroed in on the dual frequency thing. My mistake, sorry. 480 vertical pixels, Right on! you made the right choice in my book. I just didn't want you to waste your money on DF and use the cash for better stuff you can really use. [/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]I'd go to sportsman's and play with them. You may find a finder that has all the features you want. I say this because at one time when I had the X85, a guy brought out an X65 on the ice and it did not have some of the key features that made the X85 so cool to use. So go play with them, thumb through all the menus and run them through the ringer before you buy. You know what you're looking for. Make sure you get what you really want. Later. [/size][/font]
[signature]
I think BLM's numbers for an 18 degree cone are correct. In deeper water a narrow beam gives you plenty of scan area. However, fishing shallow waters like Willard, that 18 degree beam will only give you about 4 feet scan area in 12' of water. Unless I am missing something, shallow water is where your dual beam units really shine. That Matrix 27 on wide angle (60 degrees) will give you a 13' or so scan area at 12'. You can always shift back to the narrow cone angle to get the better detail you might want. I like the flexibility and options a dual mode unit gives. The Matrix 37 gives a 90 degree view on the wide angle selection which is almost a side-finder feature. That would be great for fish location purposes, and once you find the fish, you always have the option of going back to a narrow cone for detail. The Matrix units are also GPS enabled which would be great to mark your best hot spot locations.
[signature]
I guess what I'm doing is confusing frequency with duel beams, I was thinking that the frequency went from 200 to 400kHz depending on what beam was selected but I guess I can have the same freq for both beams, is that right? Does the Matrix 27 come with GPS or is that an option that can be added on? WH2
[signature]
I think you usually get a lower frequency with a narrower beam and a higher frequency with a broader beam. Maybe in some units it is the same with both, I don't know. All the Matrix units are GPS enabled which means you can connect your existing hand held GPS via adaptor cord to the unit or for $99 +/- you can buy the Humminbird dedicated receiver. Check the Humminbird website for more details. www.humminbird.com
[signature]
I'm hearing two different things here unless I'm way off base(which is very possible), BLM was just saying that the high freq was only needed for very deep water, (over several hundred feet). Is it possible to have a duel beam that works on low freq(200kHz), any one else out there know? Do you know for sure that the Matrix works with both high and low Freq? It sounds like the GPS enable feature would be good option to have. WH2
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Go read RipNlip's post on Low verses high frequencies again. Low frequency equals deeper depths but lower definition. High frequencies dont penetrate as well but detect better detail. Where are you coming up with the 400khz number?[/size][/font]
[signature]
I got the latest Bass Pro (Marina) catalog last week and the ad for the new Garmin 250 list it like this, Frequency: 400kHz (20*)
[signature]
[reply]
I got the latest Bass Pro (Marina) catalog last week and the ad for the new Garmin 250 list it like this, Frequency: 400kHz (20*) [/reply]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]The Garmin 250 is a 50/200 khz DF machine. I think what you're seeing is 500 RMS / 4000 PtP with the 50/200 DF transducer and 400 RMS / 3200 PtP with the single high frequency 200khz tranducer. [/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]You've got to love keeping up with all the specs! HA![/size][/font]
[signature]
The ad in Bass Pro is just like I wrote it but you got me thinking about it, so I went to their site and checked it out. You were right of course, so the ad in the BP catalog is wrong, they also claimed that the 250c had a freq of 400kHz, that too was wrong. I looked at the specs for all the other finders in the catalog and none of them have freqs that high, what kind of finders would use a 400kHz transducer? WH2
[signature]