Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
8 lb. smallie from jordanelle ????????
[unimpressed] Hey Guys have any of you seen the bassmaster mag. January Issue ??.

well, there's a picture of a smallie that says it's 8.9 lbs caught in jordanelle on july 4 2003. caught be a guy named Clifford Sackett of Murry Ut. the picture is in the lunker club. to me this fish does not look that big, if it is 8.9 then the one I caught with utbass fishing in a tournement would be about 10lbs. because it looks about twice the girth of this one. hope you guys have seen it, let me know what you think or if I'm high in the night. later chuck
[signature]
I dont put much stock in most of those mag photos. Pictures can be deceiving but when I guys holding a fish and the hand he's holding with looks like it belongs on Andre the giant, you get a pretty good feel for how big the fish really is.

These mags print whatever the person sending in the photos claims their fish to be, some of them are honest some of them arent.

I haven't saw the picture you're refering to but an 8.9 bass is one &^$%$ of a big smallie.
[signature]
I heard a bass over eight did come out last summer. Not sure if it's the same one.

Good Fishing, Kayote
[signature]
[Smile]if you look back in the old posts i think there is a picture of the smallie

that was caught at jordenelle. it looks huge. trfishin
[signature]
I have'nt seen it but i've seen alot of pictures that look like they don't match up.[crazy]
[signature]
[Smile]hey i looked back on page 130 in the posts by utbass (NEW JORDENELLE RECORD) it shows a smallie caught by jason jensen and it says it's 7.3lbs. it is huge and i sure would like to catch one like that and get a reproduction mount of one on my wall. trfishin
[signature]
Utah catch and release record:

Smallmouth bass: Clifford Sackett Jr., Jordanelle Res, 23 1/2" long, 7/4/03.

the state catch record is 22" long, and 7lbs 6oz. I think that Cliff's fish could be every bit of 8lbs 9oz....

Nice fish Cliff!

more considerations: Length x length x length / 1600 will give an approximate weight for a smallmouth. This works for an average size smallmouth, but a smallmouth over 20" is anything but average, and will be HIGHLY variable. 8.9 might be a bit of an exageration, but not by much!
[signature]
[Smile] Wow I guess it is, It does look pretty long but not that heavy I beleve now though. thanks, later chuck
[signature]
Hey Trfishin, I was there that day Jason cauht that fish, he was also fishing in the tournament. I caught one that was 19 1/4 in. I thought I was going to win the big fish of the tournament but when Jason came in I was shocked to see he had one over 20in. later chuck
[signature]
[#800080][size 2]Hey Chuck, How ya feeling? I saw you blaze by last sat with walleyebob behind you. I was fishing in my waders til Bob pick me up and we swapped lies/lost jigs . [/size][/#800080]

[#800080][size 2] I was there too when Jason caught that pig. I got to hear the phone conversation when Jason called Crowder. Crowder and I had our boats in the mouth of the river when the blessed event happened. Cliffie has told the story so many times I think Jason wished he didn't caught her(just kidding. I had a hour talk with Jason when we fished a tourney at the gorge). [/size][/#800080]

[#800080][size 2] The local club fishermen really don't recognize that fish as a state record. I've caught half-dozen or more bigger than Sackett's fish(with pictures to prove it). Currently, I have a picture down at Sportmens(Provo) of a 24" that weighted 5.5lbs(its on the end on the flyfishing equipment side. I'm wearing a light blue GLoomis hat). [/size][/#800080]

[#800080][size 2] From what I have been told, the picture in question was fully self promoted.[/size][/#800080]
[signature]
I thought that all smallies over 12" had to be immediately released. Do they allow tournaments to have an exception if they have a live well? I assume it must be legal if the UTbass guys can bring the fish in for weight.
[signature]
[Smile] Now that fish looks like a hog, If I could I would post the picture of the one in bassmaster mag. I need to have my computer up graded to have a usp port. maybe after I get back to work and start getting paid again I'll get a digital camera and have my computer upgraded. laetr chuck
[signature]
[Smile] Hey Tomegun, feeling pretty good so far, my doc says I'm healing up like a 25 year old, that made me feel pretty good to here. I did't see you out there last week, that might be because I haven't met you yet. I'll be out there this sunday, come on out if you can and loose some jigs with me.

talk to you later chuck
[signature]
[#800080][size 2]I'll be there tomorrow. And hopefully, I'll be ready to throw the whole arsenal[Wink] [/size][/#800080]
[signature]
I'll be there tomorrow too, at Lincoln, just look for my tracker boat and a pirate flag with bft stickers...
[signature]