Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boat prep.
So, its time to get the boats out and ready for the open water.

To help everyone out, what are some of the things you guys do to get your boat ready?

We all, or at least I hope we all, winterize our boats, to prepare and protect them, what about summerizing them to make sure they perform year after year?

Mine at Lees marine getting pampered as we speak.

New water pump, grease up the prop shaft, new fuel filter, ect.

You know, I believe its better to pay out $500 in maitnenance fees over the years, than to pay out $2000 for major repairs. So my boats been in a few shops. Robertsons, SS marine, Petersens, stateline, and lees.

Let me tell you, Most of the time you feel like your tossing your money away, but since BLM introduced me to lees marine, I have never felt so confident that I was being fairly delt with, by competent, honest people.

Dont take my word for it, try them for yourself.

This boat is my sixth boat, and today at lees, lee taught me stuff I never knew about engines, maintenance, and basic operation. And he does it without making you feel like an idiot.
[signature]
Last year I bought an old 1968 dorset boat, and i've had to contualy work on the engine. Thats o k but I hate to go buy a part and be treated like an idiot. I've been to every place but lees and I'll tell you. Go to Robertsons marine, they have helped me every time with respect and helped me find out all kind of stuff about my boat, They dont make carb kits for my 100hp motor any more so I need to take care of it regularly and treat it with kit gloves. I've cleand out and got running two 4hp troling motors since then all parts came from Robertsons and the total cost for the motors may have now reached a hundred bucks, ceep thinking of the customer Robertsons.
[signature]
Robertsons is my second choice. They are pretty good.
[signature]
Who's your first choice and where are they
[signature]
Does anyone know of anyone other than Marine Products Pro Shop who works on Nissan outboards? They are all right, but seem to take forever. I know it's my own fault for getting an "off brand" motor (at least it is here in UT) but it was a great deal that I couldn't pass up. Thanks!
Fall is the best time to deal with lower unit issues. That way you can spot water in the lower unit before the cold weather sets in and causes some serious damage.

I think fresh gas is one of the most important, and overlooked, things to help you have a good experience on the water. Drain the old and run it through your truck and add fresh. And I try to add only as much as I'll burn on each outing. You don't want to run out, but you don't want gas going stale in your tank either. Even if you stabilized it last fall, I still want fresh gas in my tank. I also like to run a can of carb cleaner through the gas in the spring.

And don't overlook trailer/bearing maintenance.
Thanks for the info Predator, Ill give them a shout and see what they can do for me
[signature]
I had a 1978 Suzuki 50 hp until last year. During those 25 years of hard and frequent use, I never had a single problem with the engine because of the good maintenance I gave it every fall. The only thing ever had to do was replace a choke solinoid. I always replace the fuel filter and spark plugs, put fuel stabilizer and fresh fuel in the tank, and run it through the system. I would change the lower unit fluid and replace the drain plug gaskets. I then used storage spray (fogging oil) through the carburator throat to coat the internal parts with oil to prevent corrosion from moisture condensation. Then I spray the entire engine, inside the cowling and out with a light coating of WD-40. In the spring I would wipe off the residual WD-40, clean and shine things up, and that little baby would start right up every time, although with the fogging oil you would have to clean the plugs after the oil burns off. It takes a little time, but it is worth it. In those 25 years my maintenance costs were probably under a couple of hundred dollars.
[signature]