Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
QUINCY RESERVOIR
[font "Arial"] QUINCY RESERVOIR: This is a haven for tiger muskies, producing the state's record (40 lb., 2 oz.). In addition, there is good black crappie and bass fishing and spring trout fishing. Location: The reservoir is .5 miles east of Buckley Road on Quincy Ave. in Aurora. [url "http://ndis.nrel.colostate.edu/maps/default.asp?cmd=INIT&Place=False,518878,4387245,-1,-1,Quincy Reservoir,0&Extent=514078,4383245,523678,4391245"][#0000ff]Interactive Map[/#0000ff][/url][/font]
[signature]
Don't forget, Quincy is artificial flies and lures only. This reservoir is owned by the city of Aurora, and the Aurora game wardens keep a very close eye on fishermen.
[signature]
thanks for the update i receive reports from all over and they didnt put that in and i thank you for your help in the area what kind of fishing dio you enjoy?
[signature]
Crappie? I have been fishing Quincy for 15 years and have never seen a single one?

I have caught Tigers, smallies, perch, rainbow and brown trout and largemouths. It is a great little lake, (especially for bass)!
[signature]
well not to sure i just get the updates,would like to catch some of them tigers though they sure look fun to catch.
[signature]
I spent about 3 hours at Quincy, today. I only caught 1 real nice fish (rainbow). However, the weather was so nice, I couldn't leave. The trout were in so close it was frustrating that I couldn't get them to hit. I didn't know until today that there were browns in there. Hopefully I will get one or two of them this year. I threw every lure I had at them (Rapala, Kastmaster, Puma Martinez, Rooster Tail, etc). Also, I spent the morning at Aurora res and got shut out. That's what I get for breaking down and buying an annual pass for Aurora today.
[signature]
I wouldn't get to excited about the Browns! The last one i caught was about 10 years ago. There may be some in there? But not in significant numbers. If you want to catch a bigger class of fish there, concentrate on the bass and Tigers.

I know the DOW used to stock Brown fingerlings every third year at Aurora Res. Unfortunately you can't fish there at night! Browns are highly nocturnal in clear resevoirs with alot of pressure! I would bet with all the forage available to them, there are some real pigs swimming out there somewhere.
[signature]
what colors were you useing? do you have any skullpin in the area? thats a great bait for the browns around the white river the guides around there use them when they wont take anything else. also how are you fishing ? wadeing ? tubeing ? banking ?boat?if your on the back then back off of the fish so you can cast to them without spooking them might help. also are you fly or spining for them? if spinng try this and see if it might help, 1 use a small float tie on an three way swivel add a light line to swivel and tie on a fly with a streamer tie another light line 2 ft long to the other add small spilt shot at about 1 ft and tie on a fly. might help if they are finicky. will give more ideas later when i know how your fishing.
[signature]
the browns i have evr caught i caught in the day time and they were at all time of they day but that was river browns
[signature]
[font "Arial"][size 2]Fished Quincy today from 2:15 – 5:30. Fished the North Eastern most cove, by the water inlet. Caught all our fish between 2:45 and 3:30. Had a few bites after that, but not many. Lots of fish in the area, other anglers did well also. We got a 16 inch, 14, and 12. All rainbows. Caught the 2 big ones on a slow sinking rapala, green and orange color. 12 incher was caught using pink power bait w/ split shot rig.[/size][/font]
[signature]
I think stream and lake browns are totally different fish? Stream Browns must feed during the day when insect activity is at a peak. But once they hit about 18 inchs they seem to switch to more of a minnow diet and also seem to hide more under boulders downed timber etc.

All of my best days fishing for Browns in lakes have been in the early morning right before the false dawn till the sun comes over the horizen. I use to fish at Antero alot and I would always try to get there about 4 AM. Sometimes I could actually hear them rolling and splashing in the darkness as I strung up my rods. Very exciting!!!!
[signature]
I hope that you really weren't using power bait at Quincy.
[signature]
Ooooohhhhh shit baldman.. No wonder they loved it.. Ugh, sorry to everyone for that. Had powerbait on my sons rod Sad I didnt know it was flies/lures only until i looked today. Ive fished @ aurora and thought it was the same deal :/.. Thx for the heads up, make sure i dont do that again. Atleast i caught the 2 bigger fish off lure Smile
[signature]
Don't worry dude. 3 years ago I caught 12 fish in one hour on one day and 8 the next only to find out that I was not a great fisherman. I was a cheater.[Smile]
[signature]
eeeoooow, I hate when I do that.

not to come off as being a monday morning sofa quarterback. in todays time you need to know just where and when you can walk out on your own font lawn with out breaking a law...

I have fishied in lakes that have different size and quanity limits on fish not to mentoin seasons, its getting to the point where a man has to have a colage degree in law just to buy a fishing and hunting license.

trout season opens up here in michigan for catch and release for trout... cant wait...[shocked] flies only in my area so dont wanna even have a power bait in your posession if you make it out my way.... lol...
[signature]
Bleh heh.. Ya honest mistake.. It was my first time @ Quincy too.. Ahh well live and learn, im sure that 1 fish wasnt a total disaster.. That would explain why there were so may fly fisherman..
[signature]
yep, been there and done that my self. I had a fish and game warden who wanted to take ome of my setups home with him last month because it did not have my name on it...

that's right in some areas you are not allowed to fish with certain equipment unless you have your name on it. of cource I scratched my head and swore up and down I never saw the rule in the book, when the new book came out for this year I looked again for that spicific rule and still I did not see it. I did meet a another guy who got a ticket for not having his name on his... I will have to find my old one to see if I can find it in that book.
[signature]