Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question about Redfish Lake???????
It looks as though we are having a family reunion this year at redfish lake. I've been there once before when I was about 12. I dont remember much about it besides the water was really clear and in the early morning in the water where the dock that goes out into the water in front of the lodge would be teaming with fish.

I have never fished the lake nor any of its tributaries. I do remember that there was some sort of a salmon weir there on one of the tributaries. So my question is what species of fish are in this lake and nearby waters? I am assuming just trout and salmon but I have no idea. What can I use as far as bait or tackle is concerned for the best success. The dates have not been set up yet. So any info would be appreciated so I can have some say to when this reunion might take place. See I just want to be there when the catchin is good.[sly][cool][Smile]
[signature]
I don't know much about Redfish Lake but could tell you a few things that might be helpful. The main game fish is kokanee. The F&G stopped planting rainbows in there about 10 years ago. There is also a small population of bull trout. Some years a handful of Sockeye Salmon will migrate all the way from the ocean to Redfish Lake.
You may not keep any kokanee salmon after August 7th and Sockeye Salmon are obviously protected. There are also a number of mountain lakes and streams with in the area.
[signature]
Thanks for the info BrianID. Do you know if the season for the kokanee is the same as in flaming george or strawberry etc?
[signature]
Here's a link to the 2004-2005 Idaho fishing regulations.
http://www2.state.id.us/fishgame/common/...h/fish.htm
On page 59 of the regulations (under "Salmon Region Exceptions" link) states that the take season for kokanee is open from Jan 1 - Aug 7 and the limit is 15. I'm not sure how the fishing for kokanee has been lately but there will be a few "Ask Fish" fishing reports about fishing in that area this summer that you may want to check out and maybe someone else on this board knows more about Redfish Lake. Here's a link to the "Ask Fish" fishing reports. (check under "Salmon Region")
http://www2.state.id.us/fishgame/fish/pr...skfish.htm
[signature]