Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
river fishing how
anybody want to help out someone ( me ) who has never river fished if you throw out a bait setup do you fish it up stream or down ?any other tip you want to share would be appericated THANXS
[signature]
i am a complete novice at stream fishing but the bestway that i have found to to just let you bait flow with the current, i the current will take it to the pools that the fish live in, and there is no splash to scare the fish
[signature]
One word. Spinners. Cast upstream and reel back down to you. Hit the heads of pools....thats where the active fish are at.... if you are worried about the splash factor, just cast into the riffle at the head of the pool and then come down into the pool.....no scare effect there..... good luck. Talk to your local fishing shops too...they can really give you a good idea of what where and when.
[signature]
What type of fish are you after?
[signature]
If your fishing spinners or lures ,like (riverrat)said cast up stream and retrive down, but i've also caught fish casting down and retriving up.If your talking about bait fishing a river (salmon eggs,worms,etc.) I like to use little or no wieght(depending on strength of the currant)and cast above a hole and just let it drift naturaly with the currant.But when I catfish a river I like to cast into a pool (usaly standing upstream from the pool).I use a large sinker so it gets to the bottom where the fish are( making sure it's a sliding sinker so when the fish bites it does not feel the weight of the sinker).I hope this answers your question.[cool]
[signature]
Simple answer...Fly Fish
[signature]
Hey Aquaman.. Depending on the water speed (when possible), I like to fish weightless, or using as little weight as needed. "A hole" can be fished either from up stream or down but I perfer to be down stream of a hole while using bait (in my case that means a crawler). Try not to create to much movement near the hole yet get your bait above the hole/pool to allow the current to carry the bait through the hole. Be sure to keep in close contact with the bait, a bite wont be a "STRIKE!" but commonly a light "tick". Many times the hole is large enough you can actually work it from the side along the bank. Be sure and play shadows to your advantage and watch the current flow too,, it will show you where the fish are likely to be holding.The key to stream/river fish (whether using bait or lures) is,, practice, practice,, and more practice..

Good luck
[signature]
[Smile] SUP AQUA MAN!! HEY ONE TRICK THAT HAS ALWAYS WORKED WELL FOR ME IS USEING A CLEAR SLIP BOBBER THAT YOU CAN FILL WITH WATER, IT LETS YOU KEEP THE SINKERS OFF SO YOU CAN CAST AND IF YOU USE A BOBBER STOP ON IT YOU CAN "FLOAT" YOUR BAIT JUST OFF BOTTOM OR JUST ON TOP...I GENERALLY TIE A SWIVEL UNDER THE BOBBER AND ADJUST MY LEADER FROM THAT POINT SO IF I NEED TO RE TIE A HOOK OR WHATEVER IF I SNAG UP ALL I HAVE TO DO IS OPEN MY SWIVEL, AND I DONT LOSE BOBBERS AND SUCH AFTER BREAKING OFF....I HAVE USED WORMS, POWERBAIT, EVEN STREAMERS, DRY FLYS AND WET FLYS TOO, ALL WORK WELL ON THIS SETUP WITH LIGHT SPINNING GEAR, BUT I HAVE ALSO USED MY 7 FOOT ROD WITH 12 POUND FLORO ON IT AND HAD NO ISSUES. THE MOST IMPORTANT PART OF STREAM FISHING NO MATTER WHAT YOUR FISHING WITH , FLY, BAIT, LURES IS THE DRIFT LET IT RIDE NATURALLY IN THE CURRENT FOR BAIT, AND FLYS...SPINNERS CRANK IN JUST SLIGHTLY FASTER THAN THE CURRENT RUNS TO GIVE THEM THE LOOK OF A BAITFISH OR MINNOW CROSSING THE CURRENT TO GET TO SHADE, FOOD, OR ESCAPE A BIGGER FISH AND RUN INTO ANOTHER ONE. HOPE I HELPED,

LATERS,
[signature]
Along with all the other good advice already given, Ive had good luck working a jig. Cast downstream and work it back upstream.

John
[signature]
Hey aquaman,the most important thing is to understand where the fish sit,in most rivers you want to look for structure within the hole(i.e.submurged logs,large rocks,undercut banks)the larger fish will ambush from their hiding spot and then return,so a good technic is to drift your bait/lure/fly just in frount of those type of area's.Just remember just because you can't see them,does'nt mean their not there,and if you can see them they've already seen you,so tread lightly and hide behind tree's,shrubs or rocks whenever possable.Good Luck Lonnie
[signature]
Just a few more items of advice you may find helpful. First when fishing spinners, I find by far best results to do whats has been called in magazines "quartering". It is a fancy name for casting at about a 45 degree angle upstream then retrieve rapidly so the lure comes back to you at about a 90 degree angle with the flow of the river. This allows for maximum action on a spinner. I will work an entire hole or riffle this way. Straight upstream casting doesn't cause the spinner to spin as much and you usually hang it up on the bottom. casting in a pool from upstream to down and retrieving against the current works too and is sometimes the only way to work certain holes. I love spinner fishing a river I am unfamiliar with, then going back with flies or whatever as I learn more. Some rivers like Diamond fork, I just do so well with spinners, that is all I routinely use. With bait fishing, the main "hint" I could give which will increase your hookups is to diligently take in any slack as the bait is drifted down following an upsdtream cast. You will hook up far more fish if you do so, and you will usually keep the fish from swallowing the hook and requiring that you keep it. (With practice, I will admit). Once you have that down, then nymphing is not dramatically different. I hope this helps and I bet other do things differently, which is cool as you can find out what works for you. Good luck.
[signature]
[reply]
Simple answer...Fly Fish [/reply]

AMEN TO THAT!
[signature]
I suck at fishing and even I caught a few this way. I put a worm 6in under a swivel and then a bobber up high enough that the worm could easily ride the bottom. I then cast out about 10 whole woppin feet (into the main current) left my reel open and let the current carry my bobber downstream, until I couldn't see it anymore. It's less scientific but covers a lot of river. I was in a slow portion of the Logan river with a gravel floor. Good luck and let us know what you learn.
[signature]
thanx for the info guy guess i should have been more clear going to try for catfish out of the jordan about 2300 S. it wide, tree free, and about 4' deep thought it would be a place to try
[signature]
Slide a heavy sliding sinker onto your main line then tie on a swivel then snap a leader to your swivel and bait your hook with either worms , chicken liver or sucker meat. I no the spot your talking about so just cast to the middle or so , don't worry about upstream or down stream in that area .Hey maybe you'll get into some walleye![Wink]
[signature]
thats the set up i use when bait fishing you ever fish that area ? catch anything ?
[signature]
I've only fished that particular area 1 time did'nt catch anything but saw alot of carp.I fish from 2700S. up to 4500S. usually haveing the best success around 3900S. and below.
[signature]
drift a 1/2 piece of a worm with a little split shot through deep pockets. any pocket water.

jr8fish
[signature]