Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Two Spawning Questions......
First...I am headed out to Blue Lake on Sat for some panfish and bucketmouth fun. My question is when do the bass spawn out there due to the fact that it is warm spring fed and probally already 60-65 degrees?

Second....When do perch spawn and do they nest like bass or act more like trout?

Angling minds would like to know.
[signature]
This excerpt on perch is taken from an online fish encyclopedia....

[font "Arial"][size 2]LIFE HISTORY: Yellow perch spawn in early spring by depositing their eggs over vegetation or the water bottom, with no care given. The eggs are laid in large gelatinous adhesive masses. Adults feed on aquatic insects, larger invertebrates, and fishes.[/size][/font]
[signature]
I've read a few reports on fish spawning where the temp of the water doesnt have as much to do with the time of the spawn as once thought. It is more a length of day thing with the temp of the water secondary.

John
[signature]
Blue lake bass have mostly finished bedding and are postspawn now. February is bedding time. Perch spawn is about to begin right now and occurs about at 40 degrees water temp. It could already be in progress. They spawn about the same time as walleyes. Nope, they don't make any beds but scatter the eggs randomly. Don't worry, the cold water bass lakes will be in bed mode pretty soon.
[signature]
Can't tell you anything about Blue Lake , but perch spawn I have read about . My book says most perch spawn at night or early morning , normally in water 43 to 48 degrees .
[signature]
I dont know a lot about the perch spawn but perch is a perch. I'd think that Yellow Perch would spawn in much the same water temps. and spawning fashion as their larger cousin's the Walleye..
[signature]