Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Evinrude fouls up
[font "Arial"][size 2]Last time I trolled with my 6 horse Evinrude I had to replace the plugs, out on the water after trolling for a short time (replaced with new plugs), and after a few hours they became so fouled that I had to clean the new plugs out on the water! Any ideas on what could be causing this? I used to be able to easily troll all day long for at least two or three days, before having to clean the plugs.[/size][/font]
[signature]
It sounds like you are fouling out your plugs way too fast. Have you checked your carb or carbs to see that they are not dumping too much fuel into the cylinder. Two or four stroke? Two stroke, do you have the right fuel oil mixture, or if you have an auto mixer has it been bumped so it is feeding in too much oil?
four stroke, are your rings good, a cracked piston ring could be sending too much oil up through the cylinder. too many other things to list but look at your carbs.
[signature]
How old is the engine? If its an older engine the problem could be several things. Have you changed brands of Oil? Does it seem to have less compression? Do you hear piston slop? It the plug gap correct? Are you running a cooler plug? Any one of these could be your problem. You might try running a step hotter plug..
[signature]
Yes I agree by all means, make sure the carb is set correctly.. It sounds as if you could be running rich..
[signature]
It is a 1979 two-stroke. I run synthetic Yamaha oil at a 50 to 1 mixture (as recommended). There is no gap to set on the plugs I use, and I am running the hotter plugs. "[size 1]Do you hear piston slop?" I don't know what piston slop sounds like (or even what it is), so I can't answer that one. As far as I can tell the outboard is running fine, except when the plugs become fouled. After I am done trolling I also run it wide open for a few minutes. It sounds like I need to have someone check the carburetor.[/size]
[signature]
Hey Kent,

I'd drop danzilla a PM, he could probably give you the quick down and dirty on it...but my guess would be a dirty carb. Good luck.
[signature]
Yeah, just throw Danny a PM!!! I believe he finally has some free time. I know he just finished working on the boat he has been working on for the last 2 weeks. Because it was mine!!![cool]
[signature]
Well, I hired Danzilla to rebuild the carburator. I also found out that one of the local marine dealers gave me some bad advice on which plugs that I should run in it. Got ahold of Lee's Marine in Hyrum, and he straightened me out -- Thanks Lee. Between Danny and Lee that Evinrude should be purring along without fouling the plugs for a long time!
[signature]
could just be running rich thats what i would think
[signature]