Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bird island
are there walley out there? it seems like it would be a good spot to fish, becuse of all of the ledges, and bars. i dont know where to catch walleye on this lake exept for the obvious spots, provo dikes, lincoln beach, and the provo river. i would really like learn more about this toothy critter and where to get them in utah lake. i always catch them at deer creek, but that is easy, just bounce a 2 inch grub in 10-30ft of water and whammo. but i dont have a clue where to get them at here.

JOe
[signature]
oh! forgot to ask... does any one fish that little river that comes in on the east side of lincoln beach?the one that you cross over right befor you turn right, before lincoln? i think that it comes from mona res? are there any fish in there?

Joe
[signature]
Walleyes by the thousands converge at the Bird island so yes!

Just troll bottom bouncers in the very lightest weight possible so you will skip over the lava finger rocks with crawler harnesses.

That creek is (I think) Beer Creek, stay out of there according to proclamation, and yes there should be walleyes spawning in there.
[signature]
I had no iedea that there were that many walleye out there. one more question.. where do i find those toothy critters in the summer? just on the deeper rock banks or what?

JOe
[signature]
As the upper water column gets warm, the 'eyes seek solace in the cooler pit among the lava rocks out near Bird Island in the summer. Look at the Utah Lake map sold in Sportsman Warehouse, and it will show you the depth throughout the lake.

This area where walleyes mainly converge is very snaggy. I wouldn't be surprised if somebody went scuba diving and brought up all the crankbaits and other lures by the thousands...[shocked][pirate].

Once you find that deepest part, anchor and use curly tail grubs (for they are the cheapest thing you can lose). Another thing you might lose is your anchor, somehow those lava rocks so craggy that people have been known to cut their rope to a stuck anchor by the hundreds[pirate][laugh]. Those wily eyes have that to their advantage...[angelic]
[signature]
WHAT WAY ARE YOU BOUNCING A 2 INCH GRUB, LIKE ON A JIG HEAD OR RIGGED BEHIND A BOTTOM BOUNCER? JUST CURIOUS AS I TUBE DEER CREEK MORE OFTEN THAN NOT, I STILL HAVE YET TO HOOK INTO A WALLEYE THERE....THATS THE REASON I GO!! BASS, TROUT, PERCH, EVEN HAVE CAUGHT THE GREEN EARED SUNFISH.....ONCE. BUT NO WALLEYES...SO WOULD I USE SAY A 2 INCH BERKLEY GULP MINNOW GRUB ON A LEAD HEAD, OR SHOULD I TEXAS RIG IT BEHIND A BOUNCER??
[signature]
Hey Utcatman, that little river is beer creek. It comes from springs. No connection to Mona or anything. Salem pond in a roundabout sorta way.
Walleye spawned in there years ago. Then it was dredged and the end of it was moved about two hundred yards east. The walleye quit running up it. They started to go up it in small numbers again about two or three years ago.
Lots of catfish, sunfish and carp spawn in it. And a few Perch. Never really caught a lot of white bass, but I'll bet some big LMB are in there.
I fished it for five or six years and caught some huge channel cats. Give it a try in about three or four weeks.
And, by the way. Walleye were rolling at Bird Island last Sunday. We saw a Pelican eat one that was about four pounds.

walleyebob
[signature]