Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Blue Lake Report
Hit Blue Lake on Sat. Great if you like smaller bass between 8-14 inches. Pulled in 40 or so. No Blue Gills and I only saw a few being caught. Bout 10 divers to fight for space with. Not bad at all. I floated the small outlet river for 1/2 mile or so in my pontoon float tube. Very fun. Pulled in a couple sun fish and a bunch of bass. Used variety of rubber baits. Mainly jigs. The bigger ones where caught on the lake using a drop shot and rubber worm combo. Fun day. Great weather. Good warmup for Pelican.
[signature]
Is the stream flowing out of Blue lake still posted no trespassing? Its been awhile since I've been out there. How hard was it to float the down that far?
[signature]
I did not see any signs and the river was anywhere between 2 and 8 feet deep all the way down. Fun stuff.
[signature]
interesting i keep hearing about the 20 plus inchers out there. thanks for the update.
[signature]
I was out there with AnglerDan and even though we did not catch the 20", the divers said they were down there. They said they go down there with cheese and samon eggs and they eat out of their hands... I wanted to send a net down just to see how big they were, but of coarse would not do it.

The best fishing there is off the doc there and then straight across from the doc is a great place for blue gills.
[signature]
I don't think they were talking about the bass. They feed Bluegill with cheese and salmon eggs and the Bass just keep thier distance when the divers go down. There's also some chunky crappie down there. Last time I went I saw lots in the shallows. They would cruise in and out while last year I would only see one here and there. They wouldn't bite though Sad
[signature]
Ya actually they were saying the Bass were chewing up the samon eggs and cheese, one of the guys was watching from the platform as we were sending down some worms, jigs etc, they said the small bass were aggressive and the big ones just watched. The big ones seemed pretty spoked from all the traffic of anglers and divers. Need to take an aquacam out there.
[signature]
Their out there, definatly. When I get home I'll put up a pic of a blue lakes bass caught by my dad that was about 8 pounds, and my first big bass, about 5 pounds. Their just hard to catch this time of year. I'd recomend for the biggest fish in the lake about new years day.
[signature]
What were you using out there to catch the big fish and where? If you care to give your secrets.
[signature]
I'm not saying much on here. All I will say is "Minnows". Fresh, dead minnows. Thats all there is to that.
[signature]
Where do you get the minnows from? I concure Prof. Jensenkid, they are very weary and tough to catch. All the bigger fish over 20" that me or my wife have caught came in the summer. Never fished it in the winter. Still I don't mind because I love catchng those smaller fish. It's a blast!!! The wifee always seems to out do me though when it comes to size of fish. She's got the touch I guess, lol.

Heres a picture I dug up of one I caught last summer on a popper. Not a monster but easily over 20", I forgot the exact length got start recording that with the picture.
[signature]
Thats a good luucking fish... Gotta love bass, the problem I have is that 16-19 is avg at Pelican, but the water is gone by early August. Wish I could pull the bigger ones out of Blue...
[signature]
Now that sounds like fun!!! I got to try Pelican but I'm limited to a float tube and no waders Smile. Can you catch 40 or more fish in a day at Pelican? Do you guys use a boat or pontoon/tube? I hear that it's really tough to fish from shore so that would be out of the question.

Oh how I love Bass!!! Just the different types of baits and techniques you can use makes it so interesting. If you head out to Blue Lake again in the warmer months try poppers or other top water they really slam it, so much fun watching them eat the bait. Especially early morning or late evening the bigger fish move real shallow and feed. They will suck that popper down and give you a ride to remember. The only problem is that you may only catch 1 or 2 over 20" the little ones are too aggressive and plentifull.

Jensenkid, looking forward to see that pic!!!
[signature]
We use either a boat or tubes depending how we feel. However waders is a must due to a fungus in the water called swimmers itch (Self explatatory title). I have had 100+ fish days at Pelican and LeftWife2Fish can confirm. Kayote is a pro up there as well and has caucht literally thousands of fish in that lake. Biggest BlueGills in the state as well.
[signature]
Ok, here they are. Sorry, their kind of low quality.
The first is my first big bass, at 22", and around 5 pounds. I caught it when I was 4.
The second is a 25"er that my dad caught. The taxadermist screwed up. When he took it in it was full of eggs, and a lot fatter. The taxadermist mounted it skinny.
[signature]
Oh man!!! You gonna make me go out and get a pair of waders! The wife won't let me for sure not after I just dished out a couple of hundred bucks for a fish finder and all the other goodies necessary to get it mounted and running on my tube.

Yep, I know about the swimmers itch. The main reason I haven't went up there yet! Although I sure would love too. Maybe I can get loanfish to lend me his waders again, lol like he did when I went up to Mantua. Believe it or not but swimmers itch can be prevented without the use of waders. Lol, I read and posted a ways back when the big swimmers itch disscusion took place about how you can prevent getting the itch by covering your skin with vaseline (oh man did that bring out all the homophobs). It prevents the parisites from penetrating your skin. If I get desperate enough I may try it lol.

BTW, also states in that article if you towel dry immediately after exiting the water you won't get the itch. It's when you let yourself air dry that they penetrate. Safest and best prevention though are waders Smile

Yep, I like to babble, but I'll stop myself now. Good fishing guys and gals.
[signature]
I know swimmers itch isn't pleasant. I got totally soaked fishing from my tube 2 years ago. It flaired up all over my arms. Since then I've only fish from the bank off of the ramp or the pumps.
[signature]
Here is an average day at pelican when we decided to keep a few blue's... One of the only and last time I will take fish... Practicing CPR now... CATCH PHOTO RELEASE
[signature]
Now thats alot of bluegill! CPR, good one, I love it!!!! Caught on bait or jigs? You guys are killing me, guess it's off to sportsmans for a pair of waders... no wait, I got a jar of petroleum Jelly in the medicine cabinet[crazy]
[signature]
Okay since we are all sharing secrets, jigs with a small curly tail, the smaller the better. All colors, the bass will usually leave it alone but once in a while you will catch one while targeting blue's.. The key is to make sure that you have your asprin in the truck cause your shoulder and wrist will be killing from pulling in blue's all day. I know you hear that LMB are the best fighting fish, I do not agree.. When a blue turns sideways you have to wait for them to turn back or you will be fighting for several minutes to get them in.

The next thing we like to do is look for any type of nest. Then cast outside the nest and drag through it just a slight jig motion... If you do not catch the blue in the first couple of jigs bring it back and toss left or right of the nest cause you have spoked them, but they will hit. AnglerDan and I have never gone away without at least a 70 - 100 fish day a piece.
[signature]