Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Smallmouth from the Bear River
Hit the Bear River above Preston today. Got up there at about 8:30 and started to fish. There were a ton of people up there so I waded across the river in fished the side that most of the people weren't fishing. I was using a Clouser Minnow and a coneheaded leech. One my first cast I hooked into a good fish. When I got it in it was a 16" smallmouth. It was very thick and fat. I would guess that I would have gone between four and five pounds. A real beauty. After several more casts I hooked into another big fish. This one I only had on the line for about 10 seconds. I couldn't hold him and he got off. I would guess that I was another big bass. Fished in the same spot for about another 30 minutes with only a couple of bits. We moved further down the river and and caught a couple of rainbows. All in all it was a great day fishing. The weather was beautiful up there with no wind. When I get the pictures developed I will post a picture. The bluewings were coming of thick. The fish started to rise later on. If you want to see a picture of the clouser that I was using let me know and I will post some pictures. My brother is really good at making these.

Catch
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Nice report and a fun time! Can't wait to see the pic of your toad smallie. Also post a pic of that clouser too. I'm sure there are many that would very much like to see it. Thanks for the report. Did you post a link to the Idaho Board too? They can use the help with reports on their board too.[/size][/font]
[signature]
I'd like to see your clouser minnow pics

Thanks
[signature]
I have been looking for a river with smallies, do you always catch smallies on the river in that area? Any info would be great. Thanks
[signature]
I went up on the river yesterday (Monday) from 8-12am. After seeing Catch's post on catching a smallie, I decided I really wanted one, because I have fished that river tons and never even knew they were in there. I went up and caught a twelve incher. LOVED IT! Black Wooley Bugger was the trick. BWO's started coming off around 10:15 but nothing was feeding on them on top. Mmm...smallies...
[signature]