Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard bay south marina
Has anyone seen if the south marina is open at the bay? All my hot spots are on the south end. With my little motor its an all day journey from the north marina. If not, where is a good place to go on the north side?

Thanks.
[signature]
I NEVER DID VERY WELL LAST YEAR THERE. ABOUT THE MIDDLE ON WEST AND EAST SIDE MOSTLY. I DID CATCH ONE WIPER IN THE SOUTH WEST CORNER
[signature]
click on link below and you will find a picture of the south marina with water in it and a empty boat trailer

[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=121984;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread"][size 1]Posting pics (this is just a test) [/size][/url]
[signature]
Bowboy,I was with a co-worker Friday evening in his boat and we launched from the south marina. There is only 2' of water at the docks, when you get to the canal it drops to 8' then just as your entering the bay it comes back up to 2'6". If you do launch at the south marina favor the right side just a little and be careful.

We had quite the adventure when we launched Friday evening at the south marina. I wanted to meet at the north marina, after waiting 45 minutes and he did not show up I went to the south marina and there he was waitng for me. (Maybe I did say south marina but I meant north marina). We decided to go for it anyway. We made our way out of the marina with an electric trolling motor just as we got to the bay we hit a rock and broke the prop off. The wind was blowing and it blew us up against the dike and we where stuck. Then we pushed the boat with a pole back to the center of the canal (favoring the right side) and fired up the 30 hp motor. The wind was blowing really hard and the white caps where coming right inside the boat. That boat was too small and sat too low in the water. After 15 mintues of fishing we decided to call it quits before we killed our selves.
[signature]
We were at Willard yesterday afternoon, we launched at the north marina but before we went back we went down the channel to the south marina to see how deep it was. We stayed in the very center of the channel and never seen it go under 4ft. even at the mouth of the harbor. When we turned from the channel to head into the marina the water went to three feet so we turned around. I think I'll wait for the water to come up another foot before I try launching from the south marina. What size boat were you in MGB?
[signature]
We were in an older model 14' fiber glass boat. I'm surprised to hear that the channel never got under 4'. Between the water rising and you taking a little bit different path probably accounts for the different depths. Anyone lanching from the south marina should be careful untill they reach 10' of water out in the bay.
[signature]
Hey MGB, that rock you hit is a 4 ft x 8 ft chunk of concrete! Theres two of them out here. The stupid thing is one is right in front of the outlet channel. Its more on the north side so I recomend staying to the south side of the channel upon exiting. About two weeks ago that concrete pillar was about 8 inches under the surface.

You would never see it on your finder unless your ducer was directly over it, and by then its too late. You just end up hitting it, or missing it. Good thing you guys hit with the electric prop, not the big one.

One thing you have to be aware of as well is the concrete blocks in the south marina that normally hold the docks in place. They are just barley under that water, but are out there in the marina still. A spinning prop on one of those will ruin your day real quick.

Guys launching out of the south marina are nuts if you ask me, the north is brave, but the south is just plain taking risks.

I aaaume the island is now just under water, and has no marker buoy on it, so expect to hear of guys motoring full speed across that and tearing the bottom off thier motors here shortly.
[signature]
You are right Predator the island is under water now and there is no buoy on it. We were very careful when we when near it but you are right someone will hit it for sure without the marker. WH2
[signature]
WHY DON'T THEY MAKE WILLARD SAFER SOUNDS LIKE THE STATE WANTS US TO HIT OUR BOATS WITH ALL THIS GARBAGE IN THERE WHY IS THERE A CONCRETE PILLER IN A CHANNEL IN THE 1ST PLACE AND NO WARNING BOUYS SOUNDS LIKE THEY DRIVING A CAR WITH NO BRAKES

I HOPE IT COMES UP SO I CAN FISH IT I WANT TO TAKE MY BOYS OUT THERE BUT NOT TILL IT IS SAFE !!!!!

CRAZY STATE
[signature]
The state parks people will put the markers out when they can get their boats on the water. Because the water has been so low they haven't tried yet but I'm sure they will soon if the water continues to rise. They have their own boat docks that they keep the big boats they use in and until lately these docks were not in the water. I hope things will change but I'm sure this will be another bad year for Willard as far as the water goes. Come on rain, we sure need it. WH2
[signature]
last year i did good just one foot ball field just west of the north marina and headed right for the west dike and then i trolled south once i got about 100 feet off the west dike half way down to the light pole is where i landed the most wipers good luck (WANDO)
[signature]
I was waiting to see if someone else was going to post this, or if it showed up in the news, but....

Did anyone else hear a rumor that a ski boat tore the bottom out on the island last week and is now sunk off the west side just a bit to the south?

I heard this rumor at work, but didnt hear anything about it anywhere else.

Anyone mark a big hump off the west side of the island last week, or this week? There shouldnt be one there. If you saw one, maybee its true.
[signature]