Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Clear lakes, Scofield and Millsite report
I had a long weekend for spring break and so I took advantage of it by fishing my guts out.

On Thursday I went to Clear Lakes in Idaho with a friend and my Uncle. We arrived early because we always have a good time at this lake. I do not know what happened this year but the fishing was slow. We came in at noon for lunch and tried to figure out how it was possible that on a lake were we usually catch 20-50 fish a day we had not had a bite. We went back out and whipped the water for another couple of hours before the fish got hungry at least for a few minutes. In a one hour period we caught 5 fish all of them were around 17-18". Then it was over. We did not get any more fish the rest of the day.

Friday I went to Scofield. I caught 8 rainbows three of them were around 15" the rest were 8-10" The weather was terrible and I spent most of my time trying to fight the wind in my pontoon. When I got back to my truck the wind stopped but I was too tired to fish anymore.

Saturday I took my family to Millsite by Ferron. We had a great day despite the bad weather. We ended up catching 21 rainbows and cuts on bait and in the pontoon on flies.

Monday we went to Millsite again. I took my son out in the float tube for the first time. He caught his first trout on a fly rod and was very excited. We ended up catching 15 fish today. One of them was a 16" Cut which is about the biggest fish I have ever caught there.

Well I guess the moral of the story is stay closer to home and you will catch more fish[Wink]

Good Luck Ya'll

Windriver
[signature]
That's too bad Clear Lakes was slow. When I was there last I caught probably 100 fish. Mostly little rainbows but a few bigger ones to make it interesting. Sounds like all you caught were the few big ones without all the little ones added in.

It doesn't get any better than fishing with your kids. I took my boys out last week too and had a blast until it got too cold for them.

FM
[signature]
Millsite is one of my favorite places in Utah. I called and talked to the ranger

a couple of weeks ago and he told me that the water level wasn't high enough

to use the boat ramp. Did you happen to notice if it was possible to launch

from the boat ramp yet? Glad to hear you had a great day and about your

son's fish.
[signature]
Clear Lakes has been pretty tough all spring. My Dad golfs at Clear Lakes at least 3-5 times a week. He said that the fish have been hit HARD because of the mild spring and the country club hasn't restocked it.

If any of you are thinking about going up to ClearLakes, zip me a PM and I'll try to get some info as my parents live in Buhl and Dad always checks to see if anyone is catching anything as he walks around the golf course.

Nice to hear that you got into the fish locally. Good to hear about the float tube initiation for you kid. Thats how I learned to flyfish and wouldn't trade it for anything.
[signature]
I am not an expert on launching boats but the water is rising and we put in a 14' aluminum last year just before ice-up with no problem. Millsite is very low but it makes finding the fish really easy because they are so concentrated. We caught most of ours trolling flys from the pontoon on the South bank.

Windriver

Emuscud

I will check with you before making the drive to clear lakes again. I usually have no problem getting into fish, but this spring was rough.

Thanks

Windriver
[signature]