Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Large Mouth Fishing
After moving here a few years ago from South Carolina, I was shocked to see how crazy people are about Trout fishing. I think it's a lot of fun, but I don't think any fresh water fishing matches up against Large Mouth fishing. Growing up in the south, I was only about fifteen minutes from Lake Murray in South Carolina. BASS holds bass tournaments there all the time and monsters regularly get pulled out of there. I guess the craze just depends on where you live. Maybe I would feel differently if I had grown up on trout fishing.
[signature]
i hear you dude trout really aren't my thing either though i do like catching those nice cutts out of little dell just remember with the water warming up there are many different type of fish in this state to catch including lm bass sm bass wipers musky and the list goes on
[signature]
No doubt about catching cuts and bows being fun. I think utah fishing is a lot of fun. Just a major departure from what I grew up catching. What are some of the best place to fish for LM in the state?
[signature]
Quail creek, utah lake, mantua, jordanelle, hyrum, cutler, and theres a few others that have good LMB such as powell, pelican, pineview, willard, newton, and a slew of southern utah lakes.

Theres actually more bass fishermen in utah than you would think, we just arent as vocal about it as the trout guys.
[signature]
There have been several threads about LM fishing here in Utah, including flyfishing for the warmwater species. Good luck on your next trip!
[signature]
I can agree with you. I'm from Tennesse, I've been living here just over a year. I'm trying to learn some Utah fishing tactics but haven't had much luck except trout fishing at Strawberry.

But to me, (only my opinion), there is not another type fishing that compares to LMB fishing. But the Bass here don't have the size that they do at home and aren't as easy to catch so I think that makes it a lot less interesting.

But overall I'm enjoying the different types of species Utah has to offer. In West TN are limited to Bass, Bluegill, Cat, and Crappie. This site has sure helped me in my fishing journeys.

Cass
[signature]
I get tired of those slimy chrome rockets, that I've been converted to walleyes and bass. I don't understand why people are so fascinated with trout... they have a fishy taste, and they are just too slimy to handle... often times, it's pretty easy to kill a trout with a hard hookset that is associated with bass and walleyes, you will see them belly up after releasing...

Bass and walleyes are hardy survivors and they make very nice catch and release pets... trout are not pet, thus should be left alone.
[signature]
You had better be carefull starting a thread like that one, there are a lot of purist out there that will be frothing when they read it.

I love the variety that Utah has to offer. We have a fairly short growing season for warm water species along with occasional long cold winters so trout make sense here.

Allthough they are not truely a trout, most people consider the mackinaw (lake trout) a trout, if you ever have the opportunity to tie into a 20, 30 or even 40 pounder you might change your mind about the slimey little things.

We obviously dont have the same quality bass here as a lot of the southern states do but we do have some good bass lakes around here along with lakes that hold plenty of other species as well. You might not be able to tie into double digit bass here, but you have to love all the different fishing opportunities that we have right in our own backyards.
[signature]
>>[size 1]trout are not pet, thus should be left alone.[/size]

???What???
I gotta tell you what, I love fishing for lmb. Their by far my favoite fish to catch. Sure, I'll nail a few browns and bows here and there, but if theirs any bass in the lake they better watch out!
[signature]
As much as I love to fly fish, you can't beat the fight of a nice bass!
[signature]
I like me a fine piece of Bass. [cool]
[signature]
I agree that Bass Rule....But trout do a fine job of keeping me busy in between bucket mouths.

"Better My Bass that Yours"
[signature]
Gumby, Just a Tongue in cheek comment, just being silly about trout being not making good pets... they have a pretty bad mortality rate though.

Bass and walleyes are like the energizer bunnies, more like fish on steroids...
[signature]
Dude, the funnest way to fish strawberry is with bass gear. We fish strawberry bass style starting in sept when the bass shutdown. I caught a very big cutthroat on a 3/8 oz spinnerbait just screwing around(it was setup to fish for tigermuskie from the day before)

The trout thing is like 20th century stuff(its time to move on). When the old farts in the dwr die off or retire, we here Utah might just get into more warmwater fishing(global warming?) People don't realize that more money is spent on warmwater fishing, all surveys or interviews are done with trout fishermen(biased?). Case in point, Utah Lake. Utah Lake is fished everyday. You don't see people shoulder to shoulder at Strawberry. It cost money to go to strawberry. Parking and gas money will continue to take a toll.

Its 2004 some traditions we must let go.
[signature]
The trout that die the easiest are the planters from the hatchery. If you get a trout, a brown for example, that is born and raised in the wild you will notice that they are a lot tougher. They fight harder and survive better when released.

As for trout vs. bass, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I grew up fishing the Uintas. No bass there. But the trout (not planters from the road side lakes) from the Uintas are awesome fish. They are fun to catch and taste phenominal if you know how to cook them right. But I like warm water species too.

Variety is good. Utah provides a decent variety considering the limitions imposed by the climate and the fact that we live in a desert.

I don't like the bickering between the trout guys and the bass guys. This thread has been pretty mellow but there have been some heated discussions in the past that were unnecessary and inappropriate. And I don't like the constant berating of the DWR either over this issue. There are plenty of diverse fishing opportunites to go around here in Utah, thanks to the DWR. Back in the old days this was a trout only state. Now there are all kinds of different species to fish for. That by itself proves that the DWR is doing something right. The bickering and complaining only hurts the sport as a whole.

Anyway... as I said it is okay to like trout or bass. They're both great!

m
[signature]
Bass fishing rocks!!! I grew up fishing for Ocean species, like bluefish and porgies, in NY. Although thiers nothing like fishing backhome I grew to love fishing for bass, especially smallies. I believe pound for pound they are better fighters than largemouth.

For me trout are just a diversion to satisfy my fishing itch, especially when they are just stocked in the local ponds 70+ fish days are common and they do fight good on lighter tackle. As soon as I hear the bass are biting I'm there!!!

Where in UT are you?
[signature]
I totally have to agree with Matador on this. I've caught some big browns and bows that rival any largemouth or smallmouth that I've caught. Browns are definitely knarly beasts and if you get into an old bruiser, loosen the drag because you are in for one heck of a fight. I've set some hooks that I swear had to cross the eyes of the burly brown trout on the other end only to have them splash me square in the face as a "there, take that" as I release them back to fight another day. I must say that I've never killed any fish with a hookset before..... I could see maybe if you were fishing for planters with a flipping stick or something....... Honestly, you don't need to set the hook that hard anyway, these aren't tarpon we're talking about here. About the DWR, I never really pay attention all that much to all the hullaballoo and mud slinging that goes on about stocking, what is stocked and where. Look, we have fish to catch and a year long season to catch all of them in. Thats all we can really ask for. If its not your favorite fish to catch at a certain spot, then learn to catch something else. I moved here from Cali and I can't stand the fishing seasons over there...... I will never leave Utah because this place caters so much to the outdoor enthusiast. I hunt, fish, and spend time outdoors all year long because of the DWR and the great job they do providing me with the opportunity to not be a couch potato. I love our state, I love our fish and I will fish for them, all of them, until I drop dead in my waders!!
[signature]
Heck if it bites I'll like it. I could really careless what bites my hooks. I spent my time outdoors to relax and forget about life. Why worry about what's the best fish because what really matters is if your having fun doing it.
[signature]
[size 1]"Bass and walleyes are like the energizer bunnies, more like fish on steroids..." Not sure where you are catching your walleyes, but I have never caught a walleye that fit your definition.[/size]
[signature]