Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
myth???? or fact
I was wondering some other opinions on this.

I use water barrels here at my house to run motors in, when I finish working on motors I usually dump it on the lawn and cant believe the nightcrawlers that come out of the ground as soon as that water hits it.

I dont know exactly why but this is my best guess is that the exhaust takes some of the oxygen out of the water and when it saturates into the soil the crawlers have to surface to get some oxygen.

Would you imagine that this has the same effect on fish while your trolling or sitting idleing... as far as depleting the oxygen from the water and running the fish off or at least pushing them away to better water

DZ
[signature]
you know i bet it doesn't take much out of the water remember there is alot of water around your boat, when you use a barrel there is really little water so therefore the water gets more exhaust per feet of water over and over again but a nice way to get some worms thanks i'll do it
[signature]
I'll bet it's one or more of the contaminants left behind in the water by the exhaust that makes them freak.
[signature]
maybe its just the water you ever dump a barrel of water without running anything in it, to see what happens.

look at when it rains they surface also i think its just the water.
[signature]
I wonder if the oxygen in the water(or lack of) has anything to do with it. I also wonder if the motor is depleting any oxygen from the water or just adding carbon monoxide.

Try this for a test: Fill your barrel to the same level and then dump it on your lawn without running the motor in it. Then check to see how many worms come up. That will indicate some kind of difference in the waterif there is any.

And I bet that the motor exhaust has little or no effect on fish while trolling except for the noise it makes. The hull of the boat moving over their heads is probably something else to that has an effect.

m
[signature]
I've tried putting water on the lawn and I dont get too many crawlers out during the day but at night I get tons of them.

if I dump a barrell of water out that I've ran a motor in the worms come out but the handfuls and quick (during the day) and after a couple minutes they return into the ground.

DZ
[signature]
That sure does sound like water contaminants. Have you noticed that when you run a motor in the bucket the water gets that oily look too it like some gasoline has been dropped in? I alsways thought that some gasoline, burnt or otherwise, slips through the exhaust system. If thats so the contaminants probably don't react to well with the worms skin. I wouldn't be surprised if that was the reason.
[signature]
I was thinking down those same lines. Worms breath through their skin. Worms have a water based slimy coating. Water is a good coating for oxygen exchange. An oily coating is not. They may feel like they're [size 1]suffocating[/size] and rush to the surface to try to get oxygen. On the other hand, the contaminants may simply be irritating, so they come to the surface in an attempt to get away from the source of the irritation.
[signature]
well i dont know about the water from your water barrels that your running moters in.. but one of the best ways i have found to get woms is to take 5 gal buckit full of water add 1/2 cup of laundry detergent mix it up good and dump it out on the lawn.. and the worms will come right up.. the only bad thing is you have to use the worms the same day becaus they die after about 6 hrs after you catch them.. the ones that stay in the ground do not seam to be harmed tho.. so if you need some worms fast just give it a try.. make sure you wash the worms off good inless your fishing for cats they seam to like the sent of the detergent left on the worms..

dude on fish?
[signature]
HERES THE FACT, WORM CANT "BREATHE" UNDER WATER. THATS WHY THEY SURFACE AFTER RAIN TOO.... I DONT THINK IT HAS ANYTHING TO DO WITH THE "BY PRODUCTS" OF THE MOTORS IN THE WATER, BARREL OR LAKE, THAT MAKES THEM RISE. THE EPA HAS EMISSIONS STANDARDS FOR MOTORS ANYHOW, JUST LIKE ON CARS, AND THEY HAVE TO EMITT AS LITTLE AS POSSIBLE INTO THE EXAUGHST GASSES AS TO NOT POLLUTE, MUCH.

WORM BREATHE THROUGH THE "SKIN" THEY HAVE ON THEIR BODIES, WHEN WATER FALLS, DUMPS, POURS ONTO A GROUND SURFACE, IT TAKES THE EASIEST WAY DOWN, HOLES FILL FIRST THEN IT SEEPS INTO THE DIRT WORMS ARE IN HOLES, WHEN THEY GET COVERED IN WATER, THEY HAVE TO HOLD THEIR "BREATH" AND SURFACE, MUCH AS A DOLPHIN OR WHALE HAS TO COME UP FOR AIR, SO DOES THE WORM WHEN TOO MUCH GROUND WATER IS IN THE AREA THEY RUN CLOSER TO THE SURFACE AND ALOT OF TIMES ON IT.

TRY JUST DUMPING A BUCKET OF FRESH WATER ON THE SPOT, I AM WILLING TO BET IT HAS THE SAME EFFECT.

BUT I HAVE BEEN WRONG BEFORE....BUT I THINK I AM CORRECT THIS TIME.

LATERS,
[signature]
Hey Fuzzy, you ever try rinsing them off after you get them with the detergent mixture? Maybe they would live longer.

Google the search term "earthworms come to the surface" and you'll find that though some still believe worms come to the surface to keep from drowning, most worm experts (now there's an obscure job) currently believe the following...

Question - Do earthworms come to the surface and onto driveways and sidewalks after heavy rains to avoid drowning?

Answer - Dr. Dennis Linden, Cindy Hale, and other worm experts say that worms do not surface to avoid drowning. In fact, they come to the surface during rains (especially in the spring) so they can move overland. The temporarily wet conditions give worms a chance to move safely to new places and look for new mates. Since worms breathe through their skin, the skin must stay wet in order for the oxygen to pass through it. After rain or during high humidity are safe times for worms to move around without dehydrating. It is true that, without oxygen, worms will suffocate. But earthworms can survive for several weeks under water, providing there is sufficient oxygen in the water to support them.
[signature]
or maybe the mixture of exhaust and oil and such is like crack to worms lol[Smile]
[signature]
Could be... [Smile]
[signature]
My Dad has this worm catching liquid concentrate stuff. You mix a half cup of concentrate with 5 gallons of water and dump it all on the grass. Worms come right out not just to the surface but to the top of the grass And it doesn't cause the worms to die. I don't know what it is made out of or where he got it but it has a professional type label on the jug. I know he has had it for a long time so I don't know if whoever made it is still in business but the stuff worked really good. I'll have to ask him where he got it next time I am over there.
[signature]
theres another product from frabill called "worm up" . its a tablet that you put in a bucket and overflow the bucket with water and get your worm can ready because they come out of the ground like they are on fire.

I bought this stuff at K-mart and havn't seen it since, I've looked on their website and they dont show it anymore

DZ
[signature]
It's the unburned oil and gas in the water the reason you don't see it when

you are fishin is that it floats on top of the water.
[signature]