Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Our First Wipers of '04 (report) w/pics
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Well, since I was finishing my taxes today and had to pay $$$$$, I asked Bait_Caster if he would like to hit Willard this afternoon for some stress relief. He gladly took me up on my offer.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]We launched at the north marina at about 2:45 this afternoon. All of the little islands within the marina are now under water but not by much … 1.5 feet so watch out when backing your boat around the marina. There are some new docks they have installed on the north-east part of the marina. They look nice but the high under water islands make it treacherous getting over to the docks. The old docks are now useable too. That's the ones we used. But again, be careful getting to them.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]We headed out to the middle of the lake before we started trolling. The water temps were about 57-58 degrees. The deepest spot we found was out around the light pole at about 18 feet deep. The water is rising pretty fast.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]We expected lots of winds but NADA ... beautiful day and the bugs are hatching quite nicely![/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]We trolled some walley lures, chartreuse grubs, white grubs, even some meps spinners. But we didn't get any bites till we put on the trusty ole Producers. [/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Bait Caster boated two nice wipers in the 3 - 3.5 lb range. But I got skunked. I did get plenty of bites but never hooked up. It was real strange today … there were a lot of little "nibbles" that just never took hooks.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]One BC picked up was out on the south end and the other about a half mile south of the light pole.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]I have to tell you … that Bait Caster does love his wiper fishin'. It's great to fish along someone who enjoys all facets of fishing as much as he does.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]While loading and prepping the boat ready to leave, we ran onto a fellow who watches BFT closely but has yet to register. He just bought his boat and wants to "get a wiper". We talked wiper fishing for a while and he said he is waiting till he catches and photographs his first wiper before he registers with BFT. I suspect that won't be too long. He said he wanted to have a report to contribute before he registers. We are eagerly awaiting that first report Kevin.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Here is Bait Caster enjoying his first wiper tug of the season:[/size][/font]

[Image: Fish_On_for_Web.jpg]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2][/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]3 lbs 6 oz. :[/size][/font]

[Image: 3lb_6oz_for_Web.jpg]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Nice wiper:[/size][/font]

[Image: Nice_Wiper_for_Web.jpg]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]The new docks:[/size][/font]

[Image: New_docks_for_Web.jpg]
[signature]
Great report Coot!!! I'm sure looking forward to hooking in to some Wipers again this year. Nothing fights like them and man do they taste good!!!!
[signature]
Old Coot,

Thanks for the report and those wipers sure looks healthy to me. It is good to know that the bay is rising well, and I can't wait to get out there soon! More like two saturdays from now, I should be able to hit the bay hard. Also thanks for the boat dock tips.
[signature]
Great report and pictures OC, was the deepest water you found about three to four hundred yards south of the light pole? I don't know if we found the some spot or I was in a spot that was slightly deeper at 19ft. No catfish huh? Were you using a modified Producer? Thanks for the info. WH2
[signature]
[size 2]OC,[/size]

[size 2]Great report and pic's. There is just one problem, Terry is not doing any kind of [red]"fish1on dance"[/red] !!! LOL, Inside joke folks.[/size]

[size 2][/size]
[signature]
Nice Wiper! Thanks for the report, and the Willard update. I'm sure as the temps steadily increase, the Wipers will become more active. Good luck on your next trip!
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]WH2,[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]The deep water we seen was out around the light pole but I don't remember quite where. It think it was slightly north of the light pole. But it was nice to see it coming up like that. Another 5-6 feet and we'll be at about normal. But I suspect that it will go WAY down again before the end of the year.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Nope ... no catfish this time.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Yes, our Producers were modified. BC's had a red and white skirt and mine had a chartreuse and white skirt.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2][/size][/font]
[signature]
Old Coot, Red and white skirts and chartreus skirts???

Explain further on this, will you please? Better yet, a photograph of this would be good. Thanks!
[signature]
Yes, please explain about the skirts. You have some of us pretty nervous. Maybe you should jump over to the float tubing board. Recently they have had some serious scary talking going on over there. I have heard some names being thrown back and forth that I wouldn't even call my wife. Just ask Tube Dude, if I weren't mistaken I think he's enjoying it.
[signature]
man i cant wait to get out there in my canoe.. if the weather gets a little hottter then the fishing will be red hot... i love wipers.

JOe
[signature]
IGNORE FISHLUVR HE DID TOO MANY DRUGS IN THE 60'S OR WAS IT IN THE 80'S..... HE WON'T KNOW SKIRT IF IT HIT HIM IN THE FACE ....
[signature]
Nice report Old Coot! I'm looking forward to going out on my first wiper hunt this year. mikecromaine has promised to take me out. But I'm really getting nervous because I'm not sure what he means by "taking me out".
[signature]
I WILL TAKE YOU. I NEED CHUM OR A BAIT BOY.LOL IF YOU GO WITH ME THIS YEAR EAT YOUR WEATIES THOSE WIPERS WILL RIP YOUR SMALL ARMS OFF IF YOU DON'T [Wink]
[signature]
BEHAVE GRASSHOPPER
[signature]
Paul, if you go to Hooked in Kaysville they will set you up with skirt for your producer. It is just like a tail for a kite in a manner of speaking, it gives the lure a little more action and closely resembles the tail of a real shad. WH2
[signature]
Thanks for the tip. How much are the skirts going for? I bought two producers from them last year.
[signature]
I am getting excited, I am leaving for Flaming Gorge tomorrow, but next week, I will definitely be on Willard!!! Seems the wipers are extra health this year.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Paul,[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]You were asking for further light and knowledge about the modified Prism Shad. Well here it is:[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]First, if you like, you can go to this link ([/size][/font][url "http://www.marinews.com/producer/producer_prism.htm"][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]http://www.marinews.com/producer/producer_prism.htm[/size][/font][/url][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]) and see their Web site. But the coloring for the one that is so popular at Willard (color #2400) on the Web site is crappy to say the least. So, I have attached a picture that should give you a better feel for how they look.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]After last night, I think I will shorten the flash-a-boo just a bit. I was getting a lot of nibbles but not hooking up. I think if the tail was just a little shorter the fish would come up a little closer.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Technically, the one I like best is the Producer Prism Shad 9/16 oz. 2-3/4" Type S color/model 2400. You can get them at Hooked in Kaysville. This is my "go to" lure of choice if I can't catch them on other stuff. James at Hooked made all my
skirted trebles that I modify them with. His price was EXTREMELY good for the skirts.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]But, a word of warning, the hooks that come on these Prism Shads are not very good. Frequently, I replace them with something better just because those wipers can bend the stock ones in a heart beat. I've also seen the split rings go by-by too under the pressure of a wiper.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]By the way, I don't know who came up with the idea of the skirt modification, but BLM was the one that showed it to me ... he gets my credit.[/size][/font]
[signature]
[red][size 3]Hold the scissors! It sounds like your tail length is OK if you had a bunch of hits and nibbles; I'd try a single stinger hook off the end of them first. All the wipers we caught last year, with everyone's good help here at BFT, were hooked on the belly hook as if they had attacked them from the deep going vertical. Perhaps it is the time of year, water temperature, depth, moon phase or whatever; or maybe the tail entices a different snacking action from them. [/size][/red]
[signature]
thank you so much i have heard of the prism shad but have never been able to find it thanks for the info OLD COOT
[signature]