Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Martin and Horseshoe 4/17
Being new to colorado I decided to go Tiger muskie fishing out here yesterday. Hit Merideth first. Did not have much luck. I caught 2 trout and one 19 inch Tiger. Then decided to try horseshoe. While fishing for tigers I hooked into something big. At first just saw a large brownish fish jump and figured I had a carp. To my surprise when I got it to the boat it was a giant smallmouth. Not quite sure what the state record was I decided to let her go. When I got home I lookd up the record only to relize it was most likely a new record. Oh well another day. It was 22inches long and full of eggs. My guess was 6.5 or 7 lbs. I will post a picture when I get the film developed.
[Smile] Wow! Congratulations! I can hardly wait to see the pics! What did you take your smallmouth on? That's a HUGE fish!
[signature]
the national isnt all that high for the smallmouth bass. I think around 12-13 pounds out of tennesse.

sure sounds like a nice one. I am looking forward to the pic.

you give any thought about entering the Bigfishtackle 16 species contest?
[signature]
sounds like a hog to me love to see the pics great catch the partner
[signature]
Horseshoe is in Larthrop State Park right out of Walsenburg,CO. About an hour south of Pueblo. It is the upper lake of the two. The lower lake is Martin Lake. Both are small lakes , and Horseshoe is wakeless boating only.
[signature]
Hey Nate-

What was the water temp at Horseshoe if you know? Pretty little lake, isn't it?

By the way, were you using a steel leader when you hooked the bass? Can't wait to see the pictures!

Don
The water temp was 52 to 55. Still a little to cold for good tiger muskie fishing. I do not use steel leader.I normally use 25lb flourocarbon line as a leader. It does not kink,is less visable, and I have never had a muskie or pike cut through it.
[signature]
[Smile] Is the film developed yet???? I'm anxious to see that picture.
[signature]
I still need to take about 22 more pictures. It was a brand new roll of film the pictures were taken on. I will try and post it in the next couple of weeks. Kinda senseless to develop 2 pictures. I need to get out and catch some more fish to take pictures of . Hopefully the weather heats up so I can do so.
[signature]
[cool] Okay, okay. I'll be patient!

[ul] [li][/li][/ul]
[signature]