Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Favorite Flaming Gorge Koke Lure?
What's your favorite Flaming Gorge Kokaneee lure? I prefer Red/Gold Needlefish, but I am told that the Apex is better. Which (or any other) do you like? Also, do you prefer Utah or Wyoming areas on the lake? My best luck has been at Red Cliffs.
[signature]
The lure that I've done the best with is the Kokanee Killer also called wedding ring with the Smiley blades. We fish the same area of Sheep creek that you do, Red Cliffs but we have never caught one over three pounds. We usually fish the Gorge for kokes the weekend before or the weekend after Memorial day weekend. Good to have you on the board, how did you find out about it? WH2
[signature]
I like to fish and use computers... that's how I came on board. I'll try those wedding rings, but those needlefish have brought me in alot in the 4lb range. Try using size 3 (a little bigger than you might normally use). Thanks for your reply.
[signature]
#2 Needle Fish in Clown (green, red, white) tiger stripe trolled slow behind a 5 blade sliver (small) Dave Davis Troll. Tip with worm. Replace hook with a Diaichi #6 red (bleeding Tuna) hook. Gets em every time. In the summer keep it at about 20 - 30 feet deep.

Scott
[signature]
IceFishingGod,

Thanks for the tip on the hooks. Landing kokes can be tricky. I use a simular needlefish. I believe it is called Bikini or rainbow about 16" behind about a 5-6" silver dodger. Also a Wyoming fisherman who was killing kokes right in front of me at Anvil Draw showed me his setup. A 12" plastic mostly white with green dodger and 16" behind was a 1 1/2" red with white tentacles gitzit. You just have to experiment sometimes.
[signature]
Rainbow (multicolored) Kokanee King with the hook replaced with a pink or glow colored, wide gap, Gama!#!$# whatever it's called hook. I use this about 16 inches behind a size 00 Lure Jensen Dodger (silver with reflective tape). I've caught them up to almost 5 pounds. It seems like the average size of the fish in the schools on the Utah side are smaller than those on the Wyoming side. The fishing has been faster for me on the Utah side. I've done well in Horseshoe Canyon, the narrow area behind Kingfisher Island, Jarvis, and Linwood Bay. Rubber snubbers and a pole with a soft tip help in landing the kokanees. The Apex lures are probably the best for keeping a kokanee on once you have hooked it.
[signature]
When things are slow try a squid, 2" orange, red or dark blue, behind a 00 dodger, rainbow or silver.
Wyoming kokes are always bigger. Make sure your legal, I get checked often...must be the UT tag on my boat!
[signature]
I've only fished the Gorge once for Kokes, and we did really well with pink z-rays. I do however fish a lot for them up at Causey, and catch them on Kokanee Kings, and Apexes. I usually tip them with worm or mealworm. Alwasy behind a 00 silver dodger. I love fishin' for those Kokes. Not quite as big at Causey, but still fun to catch. Good luck on your next trip.
[signature]
I've never done well with Apex lures at the Gorge, but I have a box full of Koke lures. I look for small spoons in fluoroescent colors like green, red, orange, yellow; or lumiscent colors like pearl, etc. I also use Tasmanian Devils, Carter's Spoons, Needlefish, etc. Most of these are on the same isle at Sportsman's Warehouse.

I rig just the bare spoon on downriggers and leadcore. And I'm switching baits constantly, trying different depths.
Have you guys seen or used the new lure by Pro Troll called kokanee killer with the E-Chip? they say it emitts a electronic pulse as it moves. It looks like the Apex lure.

my best sellers are Osprey's,Tasmanian devils,Needle fish,triple teasers all in fl. orange,fl. pink. not many of my koke fisherman look for gold.
[signature]
I LIKE TO USE A 00' LUHR JENSEN DODGER HALF GOLD AND HALF SILVER WITH A SALMON COLORED RUBBER SNUBBER. THEN I USE 2 TO 3 FEET OF LEADER WITH A THOMAS COLORADO SPINNING LURE. I'VE HAD GREAT LUCK CATCHING KOKE'S AT CAUSEY USING THIS SAME SET UP.
[signature]
We always just jigged for them using buzz bombs dipped in smelly jelly. Any color worked, but white and chartuse worked the best.

We usually we jigging over the spawning beds.
[signature]
I MAY HAVE TO SAY IT IS THE RAINBOW APEX ANY SIZE, BUT I HAVE FOUND A NEW ONE THAT MAY DETHRONE THE KING.....THE ZIP LURE IN RED GLOW LOOKS VERY PROMISING....THERE IS A POST ON IT...VERY PROMISING...

LATERS,
[signature]
The last time I fished for the kokes up at the gorge was about 6 years ago so here goes... The only rig I have ever used is a small 5-7 blade pop gear, silver and a pink koke killer (wedding ring), sweetened by a chunk of crawler. Best of luck and let us know how it went...
[signature]
If I'm trolling, definitely a Tazmanian Devil in hot colors. Below 70 feet I'll add a dodger about 3 feet ahead of it.
For verticle jigging, a Buzz Bomb is tough to beat.
Can't wait to get out after 'em![reply][/reply]
[signature]