Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fun weekend at the Gorge!!!
The girlfriend and I headed out to the Gorge on Thursday night, got there about 8 pm. Set up camp, and was getting ready to relax when one micro burst wind came up, broke the tent and blew stuff around, the rest of the night it was calm.

Woke up Friday morning and launched the boat, headed for swim beach. Weather was looking good!!! we both jigged and trolled with a few lookers no takers!!! ( finally I can see what is going on under the water with my new fish finder[cool]) About 11 am, we decided to take a boat ride, weather was calm, sunny and in the mid to upper 60's. Had some boat problems, the plugs started foulilng up on me. Due to it sitting for a couple of years with no use all the gunk was burning up and dirtying the plugs. so we landed the boat headed for manila to get some carb cleaner and starting fluid. cleaned plugs and seemed to do the trick. Fished the evening still lookers but no takers. SOme wind but mostly a absolutely beautiful day.

Saturday- we met Fishmagnet in Manila this morning and went down to Sheep Creek. ONce again a great day starting out, we went down around hide out, around king fisher and towards red canyon when the wind started to blow so we headed back to the marina and trolled and drift fished for bows in the marina, lots of fish on the screen, but no takers. WIth it being the end of the day i added a can of Sea Foam to my gas and it fouled my plugs again, put we were coming in anyway.

Landed the boat decided the weather was starting to turn and decided to pack up and come back a day early!!! We ate at the Flaming Gorge Cafe and motel, and the owner Gil Son or son in law can remember knocked down a 32 lb mack that morning and I also over heard the Conquest Expedation guy say they got some, but it has been slow!!!

All in all great time, no fish, but relaxing and got the boat out for some fun!!!!
[signature]
Thanks for the report Rob, too bad the catching wasn't better, I bet it will start improving within the next month.
What kind of speed can you get out of that old boat? WH2
[signature]
Polo,

Call me, bring that thing to the house and we'll have it up and running. I have few days off between now and the 8th but we'll work out a day. Bring your Mickey Mouse Ears.

Scott
[signature]
I totally forgot you were going to be up there this weekend. Troublemaker, Jazz & myself were up there also. I probably saw you in passing. What does your boat look like? It's not a tannish/yellowish/creamish tri-hull is it? We had some boat problems ourselves. We got the big boat out for the first time this year. It fired right up, but soon had that hot smell coming from the engine compartment. The temp guage was showing it as cool. We suspected it wasn't pumping any water. We pulled a hose to check, and sure enough no water. It turned out to be the impellor was shot. Pretty common for Volvo outdrives, after sitting for the winter, we found out. Anyway we had to pull the big boat out, and go back to the cabin and get the good ole reliable small boat. We probably lost close to 2 hours of calm water. After we got through our boat problems we ended up boating 4 macks. Toublemaker had the hot hand. He got a 10, 15 & 25 lber. Jazz picked up a 10 lber. I ended up with 0 macks, but did catch a few nice spawner rainbows (2-3 lbs. & lots of makeup on)after TM & Jazz left for home. We were fishing side by side with Kyle, from Conquest. He & Bruce both had clients coming in on Saturday, so he was doing a little scouting. He said he got a 5, 12 & 26 lber. I heard one other guy talking at the marina that said they had gotten two 20 lbers before they got blown off. "WIND" was the mainstay for most of the trip. We got blown off pretty early, except for Friday when it held off until about 1:00/1:30. For the amount of actual fishing time we got in, we, or should I say TM & Jazz did pretty well. We marked a lot of fish on the bottom, which is quite a contrast from 2 weeks ago when TM & Jazz were up there. Even though we had our share of problems, it was good to get out on the Gorge again.
[signature]
Biteme,

Were you jigging or trolling and what were you using?
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Nice reports, guys! Early spring weather is so iffy and that wind can be a bear. Sounds like no one is any worse for wear and tear.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Ron and his neighbor were up there also and had a good time and quite a story about them and a microburst. I'm hoping he'll post a report of his trip also. Sounds like they slaughtered the kokes and rainbows.[/size][/font]
[signature]
We were trolling T-50's.
[signature]
Thanks for the reply. Do you use steel line or downriggers?
[signature]
Both. Playing the numbers game. More lures in the water, more fish??????? Only the fish know for sure.
[signature]
WH2 - My sonar doesnt have a speed ometer and neither does the boat, but it has enough power to yank me around on a wakeboard and gives enough wake to jump the wake. Plus i have a 4 horse kicker that slows me down for trolling too.

IFG - I will call ya to clean out that engine!!!

BiteMe - Yep that was me in that yellow 19 ft tri haul with the dog and the girl. This weekend was a education weekend for me. I have never really done any trolling in my life. So I learned the importance of steel line for deep trolling, learned a few things about my downrigger, i got a new fish finder last week, and spent alot of time learning that thing. I like my new sonar!!!![cool] Even though I didnt catch anything, I learned alot and like I kept saying to my girlfriend, even though we are not catching anything, we are putting in more time till that moment we get the next big one.

I spoke with Kyle for a bit in Flaming Gorge Cafe and he gave me some pointers, i experimented around, marked some areas I liked and just tooled around!!!!
[signature]
Hey Rob, glad to hear you guys made it back ok. I'll bet you would've caught the big one if you'd stayed another day![Wink]

Despite the lack of fish catching it was nice meeting you and Nat and the fish eating dog. The boat ride, learning some new waters and the nice set of racoon eyes I got was well worth it.

Thanks,

FM
[signature]