Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
new electric motor time any suggestions?
ok ok its time for me to break down and buy a new bow mount electric for my vintage bass boat i got about 500$ saved up. i need some suggestions let me know what you guys are running and how you like them. i know i know my motors gonna be worth 1/3 of my boat.... BUT THE FISH DON'T KNOW THAT!!!!!!!

Big Jim
[signature]
cmon now dont be shy i would love some suggestions here?
[signature]
[cool] Are you looking for a bow mount or transom mount? Foot control or hand control? What size is your boat? Glass or aluminum? How much do the boat and motor weigh? Are you hoping to get by with a 12 volt or are you willing to go to a 24? Do you have room for the two batteries for the 24 volt?

A little more info and we can help.

Personally, I've owned both Minnkota and Motor Guide in different models and have liked both brands.
[signature]
its a 19'6" charger bass boat with a 175 horse evenrude outboard it has a bow mount foot control. and is set up for 24 volt system its a heavy glass boat the electric im running on it now is only a 28LB motor and is just not enough for what im fishing for.
[signature]
motorguide is what i have 24 volt works well
[signature]
Hi Jim-

That's very close in size and weight to what I have. You'll definitely want a 24 vt. motor. I have a Motor Guide 67lb. thrust bow mount foot control. It's plenty of power for what I do. I do not use it much for trolling, mostly for moving me along the shoreline as I cast for bass, etc., or positioning while I jig for macks. Mine is the conventional steering - cable drive foot pedal. I had a Minnkota with the electric power drive steering and I really didn't like it - seemed like it always wanted to oversteer and I just spent a lot of time "fussing" with my direction. With the conventional cable drive, at least for me, it's almost intuitive and I really don't have to pay much attention. With your boat, you'll probably also want at least a 42" shaft and maybe a 48". I'm not sure you'll be able to stay under $500, but you may be close. I haven't priced them for a while. Hope this helps. If you have more questions, ask away!

Don
I've been saving up my $$ to buy that fancy Pinpoint with the remote control that you can attach to your rod and or wrist. It's about $2k, and that's the problem![:/][pirate]
[signature]
I have a minnkota auto pilot,with a cordless remote,I use to troll for trout at the berry and it great not having to keep steering the boat,just set it in a direction and let it go,Mine is 48lbs thrust.works great on a 17ft glass boat,look into the new ones they have that control you can put on your fishing pole.

Later,FNF
[signature]
I am running a minnkota autopilot riptide on my boat.

Some features I really like about it are the cable on the foot pedal is really long. You can operate the bow mount from anywhere in a 21 ft boat.

Also its compatible with the co pilot upgrade. so, if you want foot free control, you can get that upgrade. Not a nessessity sice you can operate the boat with the long cable, but hey its an option.

I really, really like the switch on the bottom right that turns the prop on without having to keep your foot depressed on the pedal to keep the prop spinning. I use that feature more than anything else.

Not a big fan of the autoo pilot feature. Now, take that with a grain of salt. Realize on a bass boat you will not face the same issues I do. [center][Image: BASS8424CustomImage0097861.jpg][/center] [center]Realize that every waze that hits my high profile and deep draft knocks me one way or anohter. Alos the wind catches the bow and tall windshield and blows me around like crazy. [/center] [center]With a bass boat, your boat wont be moved so much due to the lower profile and shallow draft. My problem is the compass will keep you moving north, but trying to hold a certain distance off the bank so as to be able to make precision casts to bass is not compensated fro when the wind or waves blow you to the side. yes you way be moving forward in a continual north direction, but the wind blowing you east moves you places you dont want to go. So, you have to adjust the autopilot, then re adjust when you get back to where you need to be, then re adjust again to head north once more. [/center] [center]Its more convienient to just turn off the auto pilot and use the pedal since you end up doing that anyway. But like i said, thats due to my boat style. You may expirience nothing but excellence with a bass boat. [/center] [center]I like the slide bar that controls the speed much better than the wheel style I used to have on all my other motors. Much more capable of being fine tuned. [/center] [center]If I was going to do it again, i would get the powerdrive for my boat. Same pedal, same slide bar, same long cable, compatible with co pilot, ect. Just no compass in the head unit. [/center] [center]Thats my take on what i have seen. Hope it helps.[/center]
[signature]
WELL DONT GO WITH A MOTOR GUIDE. I WAS JUST AT THE WEBSITE TRYING TO FIND INFO ON A METAL PROP FOR MY LITTLE 22 THRUST LECTRIC AND THEY DONT LIST ANYTHING ON THE WEBSITE, [mad]THEY HAVE NO SERVICE IN UTAH,[Sad] AND THEY LIST A FEW DEALERS HERE.[unsure] THEY JUST SOLD OUT TO MERCURY MARINE THOUGH SO MAYBE ALL THAT WILL IMPROVE. [crazy] BUT I DOUBT THAT THEY WILL WANT TO HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH ANY "BAGGAGE" THAT COMES WITH THE LINE. THEY ARE PROBALY GOING TO LOOK AHEAD AND TRY TO FORGET ABOUT WHAT LYES BEHIND. SO I GUESS I HAVE TO FIGURE OUT HOW TO GREASE THE PIG AND GET THE PROP OFF MYSELF. THEY DONT EVEN LIST A 22 POUNDER ANYMORE, BUMMER, I HAVE HAD IT FOR A FEW YEARS AND WANT TO SERVICE IT. I LEARNED THE HARD WAY, TIME TO FIND A MINNKOTA. MAYBE A LITTLE BIGGER, LIKE 50 THRUST. THAT WILL MAKE THE TUBE STAND UP AND BE COUNTED!! LOL.

LATERS,
[signature]
For $500 you are almost certainly looking at a cable steer. Definitely go 24V. Minnkota definitely owns the market, but I don't think Motorguide is going away anytime soon, especially in the cablesteer market. If you plan to troll, then I would consider going to the Minnkota powerdrive or autopilot as Predator suggested. I recently replaced an older Motorguide Autoguide with a Minnkota Autopilot with Copilots, sonar,etc. Put me back about $1,100.

Motors are tools. No one motor is "best". You have to match the capabilities with your needs. I'd be happy to talk more if you like.

Hopper
[signature]
Man,Predator

NICE BOAT!

LATRER,FNF
[signature]
I was in the same boat last fall when I too was trying to decide which trolling motor to buy. I got lots of suggestions from the BFT guys, and several warned against getting a Motorguide, so I ended up with a Minncota Powerdrive bow mount, the 12 volt 55 lb. thrust 54" shaft for my 19 1/2 foot I/O. I bought it late in the fall or early winter, so didn't get to use it a whole lot, but I'm really happy with it so far. It has the real long cable on the pedals and it's easy to steer and control while fishing. I can't remember exactly what it cost, but it was somewhere around $500 at Sportsman's. The 24 volt models would be nice, with the extra power and perhaps more hours before they need recharging. I also bought the adapter that allows removing the motor quickly and easily, rather than having the motor permanently attached to the boat, and I wouldn't do without that. The adapter is around $40. Mine works great for me, but you have to figure out how you're going to use a trolling motor and get what will best suit you. Bow mounts are the ONLY way to go!
[signature]
just bought a minnkota 55 lb power stering unit with 20 ft cord got it installed today heading for willard for the walleye tourny on the 29th gotta get out tomorrow and see how she works. my dads got a 20' custom weld jet boat looks alot like yours what make is your boat?
[signature]
Where did you buy it and how much did you pay for it if you don't mind my asking?
[signature]
I have to disagree with those here that don't recommend Motorguide!!! I have used a 24 volt motorguide brute 67Lb cable steer with a 54" shaft for years with NO problems. It has allowed me to stay on top of Lakers while jigging at the gorge on a 21' 5500LB Searay all day long. Last year, I finally bought my Dream fishin boat "LUND" with all the toys on it. While the Brute did a great job! THis year, I found a New Motorguide Tour 72lbs model with 60" shaft and Big water II bow mount on E-bay for under $500. It an electric steer model allowing me to steer from anywhere in the boat. Talk about power and quick response!!! Contrary to what others have stated, there is local motorguide sales and service at marine products pro shop. I happen to also know from experience the Minn Kota motors are also good. You really can't go wrong with either brand. The biggest mistake most people make in buying trolling motors is not getting enough motor/thrust and shaft length. When the wind starts blowing, you'll wish you had the extra power and shaft length!

Watch for the deals on E-bay and in the bargain basement at Cabela's .... You should be able to get a really nice motor for $500 or less. Keep in mind, the longer shaft lengths 48"-60" really make a difference for boats with bows that sit high up out of the water. It also adds more cost, but increases re-sell value significantly.

[Wink] Good Luck!
[signature]
sports warehouse had one left at the midvale store for 419.99$ i took it also robertsons marine had the same motor for the same price. the only one the had was a 54" shaft looks kinda funny on my bass boat but its to late now.

Jim
[signature]
DONT GET ME WRONG, I DONT HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THE USE OF MOTOR GUIDE I HAVE HAD MINE FOR A FEW YEARS NOW ON MY TUBE, ITS TIME TO BE SERVICED AND THERE IS NO SUPPORT FOR ME IN UTAH.

THE MOTOR ITSELF RUNS LIKE A SCALDED APE!! I LOVE IT, I HAVE HAD NO PROBLEMS OR ANYTHING, I JUST DONT LIKE NOT HAVEING A SERVICE FACILITY AROUND FOR FACTORY TECH ADVISE/SERVICE. THE MOTOR IS A GOD SEND WHEN IM ON MY TUBE AND THE "W" PICKS UP AND TRYS TO GET ME TO TIM BUK TOO. THAT LITTLE 22TLb MOTOR IS GREAT, AND FOR A TUBE..IT HAULS SOME ASS!! MY ASS MOSTLY BUT I HAVE USED IT PERCHED BETWEEN TWO OF US IN THE TUBES AND LET IT PULL US LIKE A BARGE....IT WAS GREAT.

LATERS,
[signature]
My son and I just bought a SS140 Skeeter beginning of April and it had a 2002 Motorguide 9EF67PGY1 on it with a Pinpoint Sonar unit. That's 67lb trust, 12/24 volt system, 50 inch shaft. The Pinpoint system is ahead of it's generation, has a temp sensor built in and is upgradeable to GPS. When Brunswick bought the company they discontinued the Pinpoint line as far as I know and outsourced the Pinpoint warranty work to Northstar which is now part of Brunswick New Technologies. The MG pulls the 1000 lb skeeter along fine and the long shaft is good in the wind on Lake Mead and Mojave. Foot Controls are OK and Dura Amp electric setup is simple and sturdy. Unfortunately the new digital system(Tour Edition) is not and places a vulnerable electronic component in the lower unit.
Read on..

The authorized Motorguide shop tells me that Motorguide shipped out a lot of lower unit housings with the 200kHz Tranducers in them that were improperly sealed. So you get water in your lower unit and there is no way to fix it short of a lower unit case replacement at $220+ and a nice long wait for the part. If you have a digital it is even more expensive and also a wait. Local Las Vegas customers have been waiting 3 months! The repair shop had a 36 gallon tub of repacement housings and he claimed he had thrown out at least that many.

So Motorguide must know they had/have a problem, but they will not recall and if you buy a used one the 2 year warranty is NOT transferable!

So be prepared. This is not an easy company to deal with if you have a factory defect problem like I do. On the plus side I like the industrial design of the unit and have not noticed it is any louder running than a MinnKota.

Don't forget to through bolt your mount - the Motorguide stock isolators will loosen and the motor will clunk all the time if you don't through bolt it. Saw a tip on another forum where people have used pieces of black rubber shocktie hold downs to plug the old holes in the deck or to further cushion the mount.
[signature]