Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
green river pike
do any of you guys know what sections of the green river hold the most pike? i was doing a little research and it said that they can be found as far south as lake powell, and as far north as section A. but what section of the river holds the most fish? just a little curious. thanks in advance.

jOE
[signature]
There used to be a bunch out past the oray indian reservation, but I know they poisoned that section last year to try and kill all of the pike and catfish there so the chubs would have a better chance,

Jed
[signature]
I've heard of everyone catching them in A section supposely they was down but I don't know for sure

Trent
[signature]
Try Island Park. It seems to have the highest population of northerns. They are up this year. Apparently they were pushed down from the Yampa with the early high flows.

JedB,

They didn't poison the Green. Catfish and pike were being removed with electrofishing and hook and line. BTW, that program has been discontinued.

Good Pike Fishing, Kayote
[signature]
sorry, my bad I guess I was misinformed. So is that section still good fishing. I know I used to go out there as a kid. A lot of it was hard to get to, but the fishing was usually pretty good,

Jed
[signature]
If you're talking about the Ouray section, it has been good this year. Chunky cats, pike a quite a few smallies. Even the occasional waldo. One of the better spots is at the Duchesne River confluence.

Good Fishing, Kayote
[signature]
It has been a while since I fished there do you have a map to the area you are talking about and I will tell you if it is where I was thinking? Also I didn't know there were smallies in there. what lures are you using to catch the pike and the smallies?

Jed
[signature]
The area I'm talking about is where State Road 88 hits the Green River. The 88 road is the one that runs past the east side of Pelican Lake. The smallies love crankbaits (so do pikeminnows, hehehe) and the pike and cats love a dead minnow on the bottom. I like small mountain suckers fished whole. Good Luck.

Good Fishing, Kayote
[signature]
thank you guys for all of the help, I heard that most of the pike are caught on accident usually on dead chubs and and other cut bairs fishing for cats.

JOe
[signature]
I've caught them out at Island Park. I could show you how to get there, but there is no way I could explain it. A few years ago, there were a lot of 5-12lb. Pike up there. We were averaging about 3 a day per person. Look for Rainbow Park on the Green on a map. Island Park is just up the same road about 7 miles. Beautiful drive, but make sure you have good 4X4 if the roads even have a chance of getting wet. It's all that really fun red clay. I used to have a riot in my wrangler getting out of there. I miss that jeep.

Most of them I've caught were out past Jensen, just off of Highway 40. Turn South/Right just after you cross the river. After about 1/4 of a mile, the river heads away from the orad for a bit. Right where it comes back to the road (about 1.5 miles) you can see a large shallow pool. I have pulled about 25 Pike out of that pool over the last 5 years.

I tried last year and had no luck, so if they did get pushed down the Yampa like Kayote said, there should be some decent fishing from the Colorado border down to Price. I don't know the river past there other than for rafting.

I fish with a rig I make myself, but just heard it called a quick strike rig on that Lindn*** angling show. 9-12" of steel with two hooks of your choice about 4" apart. Lower hook goes in the head. Upper hook goes in just behind the dorsal fin. Hope it helps.
[signature]