Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devil's Creek report 4-27
I fished Devil's Creek on the Malad summit Tuesday. It was slow fishing for us trolling in the boat. Most fish were in the north shallow end and few along the dam. The bait fishermen were catching a few along the shore by the RV park. One pontoon fisherman had luck with leech pattern flies in the same area. Most of his fish were in the 12 to 14 inch size. The water level is good still and almost full. I hope the trolling success picks up. Acey
[signature]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]Thanks for the report Acey. [/size][/font]

[size 3][font "Times New Roman"][/font][/size]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]I took some people to Devil Creek Reservoir a week ago and we only had one bite after an hour so we packed up and went over to Hawkins Reservoir. Everyone in our group caught at least one fish in the first hour we were at Hawkins. After fishing for 2 hours we caught a total of 9 fish. All of the fish were 11”-13” planters. Over half of the fish were caught on a Worm/Marshmallow tipped with a small amount of powerbait. We also caught a few on worm and a small amount of powerbait fished 2-3 feet under a bobber. [/size][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]Last Friday (4/23/04) the water temp at Hawkins was 56 degrees (at 5pm) and it was about 10-12 feet low with the end of the boat ramp about 5 feet from the waters edge. I would be surprised if I caught anything besides the recently planted trout out of Hawkins Reservoir because it was very low last fall and the F&G expected there to be a complete die off this winter. [/size][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]Last Friday the water temp was 54 degrees at Devil Creek (at 4pm by the dam). A month ago(3/27/04) Devil Creek was about 20 feet low but last Friday it was about 10 feet below the high water mark. Devil Creek had a good number of fish carry over from last year but there still weren’t many 15”+ fish in Devil Creek this spring.[/size][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]When I fish for planter trout I will rarely spend more than an hour at one place unless I'm catching fish. When fishing any of the reservoirs South of Pocatello it will only take me a few minutes to drive to another reservoir that will likely be better fishing. Devil Creek could be better fishing than Hawkins tomorrow because some of these small reservoirs can literally get fished out within a few weeks. Also in April and May the F&G are constantly planting the small reservoir in SE Idaho. A place that didn’t have a fish in it the day before could be red hot for planter trout the next.[/size][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]The F&G have fish stocking information on their website but normally won’t list the stocking information for a places until a week or two after it was planted. Here’s a link [/size][/font][url "http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/fish/stocking/"][font "Times New Roman"][#800080][size 3]http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/fish/stocking/[/size][/#800080][/font][/url][font "Times New Roman"][size 3] [/size][/font]
[signature]