Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Filleting Channel Cats
[cool][#0000ff]It always amazes me how many anglers still believe you have to clean catfish by first nailing their heads to a board and then stripping the skin off with a pair of pliers. Still others struggle with making a series of cuts and slices around the fish...gradually working the flesh away from the bones.

Some catfolks have learned that Mr. Whiskers can essentially be filleted just as you would fillet almost any other fish. However, due to some differences in their bony structure and the type of skin (non-scaly), there are some little differences that can be addressed with the pictorial sequence below.

[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=5198;]

Three candidates for the fillet board...all about 3#. You can fillet cats from about 10 inches to a hundred pounds. Filleting large cats is more like butchering a hog, but can be done.

[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=5199;]
Use a stout fillet knife or an electric. I prefer the electric for the "slabbing" process. It slices through the rib bones of these smaller cats, although big ones are much tougher. Continue all the way down and cut the fillets loose, instead of flipping over and skinning as with scaly skinned fishes.

[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=5200;]

If I have several cats to fillet, I complete the "slabbing first...leaving the skin intact for the next step.

[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=5201;]
Catfish have thicker skin at the upper end of the fillet, so I skin them from the top down. I first cut the rib cage partially free...and then using it as a handle to complete the skinning...as seen in the next pic.

[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=5202;]
Make a cut down through the flesh, almost like the first cut in the filleting process, and then work the knife between the skin and fillet. Keep the blade pressed flat against the board and see-saw the knife toward the tail, until the fillet is completely separated from the skin.

[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=5203;]
REMOVING THE DARK FLESH. Once the skin is off the fillet, you can slice out the line of darker tissue, if you wish. These fish did not really have enough to adversely affect the taste, but larger ones often will. Begin by making shallow slices in toward the center with a sharp knife. Then, beginning at one end, fillet it right off the flesh.

[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=5204;]

For faster cooking and a crispy texture, cross cut the fillets into "fingers". Shake them up in a mixture of Bisquick and yellow corn meal...with salt, pepper and some cayenne (to taste). Cook them over high heat in peanut oil until brown and crispy. Then dip into sweet and sour, barbecue, tartar sauce or regular seafood cocktail sauce...or just squirt on some lemon juice and go munch city.

Catfish have a dense and oily flesh. They require more cooking than the delicate white fleshed fishes. Many people do not cook them long enough and do not like the flavor and consistence of the underdone catfish. A couple more minutes in the heat can make a lot of difference in the end product.

PS. Thanks, TubeBabe for posing for the pics. Actually, she can do a pretty fair job at the fillet board herself...but still "allows" me to do most of the knife and pan work.
[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Beutifully done ! Im hungry already [Smile]
[signature]
Excellent!!! I spent an hour last week looking for this post. No wonder I couldn't find it. Thanks TD.
[signature]
Hey thanks TD out of all the cats I've caught I've never actually eaten one! Imagine that, the cat_man hasn't ever eaten catfish!

Of course we all know that the reason is that the big ones don't taste as good and all I ever catch of course are the really big ones![angelic][crazy][cool][laugh][sly][Wink]
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]Hey Kevin, one of the first orders of business after I get back up there is to have a BFT fish fry. Of course, that will include some "kitty krispies" and maybe some catfish chili...or kitty enchiladas. We'll find some way to fix them so that you can wear your handle without embarrassment.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]Oh yeah, I truly understand about the size thing. Why waste a precious spawning resource by killing off the big fish...when the smaller ones are so much better on the table. We all salute your conservation approach. (Tee hee)[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
TubeDude, that BFT fishfry party sounds like a total blast, and you can count me in. Fortunately for me, I printed this original post last year, and put it in my fish and seafood cookbook up in the cabinet. Unfortunately, I still haven't gotten to use this valuable info, as I haven't even caught any cats yet[pirate], but that should change this saturday as I get serious for them at Lincoln Beach.[Wink]

So, when are you comin up here? Are you coming up for a visit, or are you moving back? I thought I read something in one of your posts the other day about "packing up" or "finishing packing" something to that affect, and I was wondering if you are moving away from AZ or to another house down there?

Don't mean to be nosy, just thought it would be cool to meet you one day and maybe even fish with ya and learn a ton of crap from the Sensai himself.

Happy fishin',
Out4Trout
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]"CRAP FROM THE SENSEI". Great title for a book...or a sitcom.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]Good news or bad news, I AM moving back to Utah at the end of July. And...Cat_Man...no need to keep the doors and windows locked at night. TubeBabe doesn't let me out at night.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]I have been "commandeered" to be part of several group get-togethers once I get my new digs settled in. Got some heavy duty recipe trading to do. Maybe a "pot luck" bring your favorite recipe...or make it there...would be fun for all. Also, I have definitely been put on notice that I gotta fire up the lead melter and break out the paints and dressings for some jig making sessions. I'm down widdat.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]With all the combined talent in the area, there's no good reason why we can't have some kind of BFT seminar session at least once a month. We can do some on different waters, different species, different tackle and techniques, or whatever anyone votes for. I have long believed that talking about something is one thing, but seing it done and trying it yourself is the best way to learn.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Weather permitting, we can do a lot of on the water things. When it gets cold and white, we can move it inside...if somebody has access to a room large enough to hold a few rowdies.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]I'm thinking that there shouldn't ever be much expense involved...besides gas money for those who live further away. Carpooling can help there. Of course, once anybody picks up a new nasty habit, like jig making, they are on their own. I will not cosign for a second mortgage for anybody.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]The good news is that there is always a way for somebody to try new things, without having to go into debt for it. In some cases, several "compatible" folks might want to split the costs of jig molds, melter and basic supplies to start making their own jigs. It's worth it. Once the budget loosens up, or you hit it big at Wendover, you can either buy out your partners or buy your own stuff. I got started by simply buying the lead and hooks and using a friend's jig mold. Now I have almost 30 of them.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Anyways...I am in the countdown stages for heading back to the beehive state. And, although my dance card will be pretty full, I look forward to getting in lots of fishing with everybody I can. Just a word of warning though. I don't kiss on the first fishing trip and I always gotta lead when we dance.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
Oh i totally agree with the cooking process!My wife undercooked some cats and my kids hated it!But when i cooked it they loved it.So dont undercook catfish!
[signature]
Hey Pat I guess I won't invest in that new ultra-secure, terrorist-proof, booby-trapped security system after all. Thanks for saving me the added expense. That's more to spend on fishing stuff. [crazy]

So, do you ever worry about cancer since you've probably handled over 3 tons of lead in your lifetime pouring all those jigs? Hopefully you don't eat any.
[signature]
well hot dog pat that was quick. i missed out with the arizona trip. i should have made it down there this may. well ill have to go next year and throw a invite anyway for you to go. i need to get to the sea of cortez one day.

well looks like youll have dips on alot of fishing trips here but ill but in at least one trip and tube with ya somewhere. look forward to seeing you guys.
[signature]
[cool][size 1][blue]c[/blue][blue]at_man: I practice "safe pouring". I always work in a well-ventilated area when pouring lead, and I handle it little...using pliers or holding the jigs by the hooks. Then, again, that might explain those strange growths all over my body. I thought they might just be geriatric zits.[/blue][/size]

[#0000ff][size 1]X-man: How was the trip to Hong Kong? Yeah, it was too bad we didn't get in some spring fishing, but maybe not. The lakes along the Salt River Chain (including Saguaro) have been having some big fish kills, due to a large growth of a toxic algae...due to ash and nutrient runoff from forest fires last year. Look at the Arizona board.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]I am moving back to Utah, but that don't mean that I won't make a few trips back down south. We will get up an expedition to the Sea of Cortez. That one is worth making.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
[cool]Cool, T.D. that you are moving back to Utah. You know that "crap from sensei TubeDude" was T.I.C., right?

So are you moving to Salt Lake, Utah, Davis, or Weber County, TubeDude. Just checking to see how far for me to drive to future jig building classes.[Wink] We should maybe plan a BFT Fish Fry party out at Utah Lake in say August or so, to give you some time to settle in and stuff. Welp, happy fishing T.D. Hope you can get a few more fishin' trips in down there before you move up here!
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]No offense taken. You can't offend the offensive. I kinda like the sound of it.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]I'll be on the west side of the Salt Lake Valley when I first move up. No tellin' where we will settle permanently yet.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Looks like I will get out over the 4th of July weekend. Got a trip planned to a little lake (Parker Canyon) down near the Mexico border. Of course I will post a report and pics if we can pull it off. Other than that, no more fishing for me until we get moved. NASTY.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Doesn't matter where I plunk down. We will probably have BFT gatherings north, south and in the middle. Fair's fair. Looking forward to it.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]