Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fly Pattern for Suckers
[cool][blue][size 1]Somebody posted a request a while back for fly patterns that would work for suckers. I am attaching a new experimental pattern I have come up with that should work for either boys or girls...pink and blue.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]Actually, anyone who has ever fished nymphs for trout, in waters with a sucker population, is likely to have taken the occasional sucker. I once caught a huge white sucker, in the snake river in Idaho, by fishing a streamer downstream under some overhanging brush. When he took the fly and headed downstream in the current I was sure I had a big old brown. I whooped and hollered and got a bunch of my relatives to come down and watch the battle. Imagine how embarassed I was when the fish turned out to be about a 5 pound sucker.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]There is a growing population of anglers who are intrigued by the challenge of getting a sucker to slurp a fly. In the upper midwest, they are fished heavily each spring and are prized for their sweet (if bony) flesh. The more successful sucker slickers, who use flies, tend to keep their offerings small, weighted and in dull shades of greens, browns and blacks...like the aquatic insects and crustaceans upon which they feed.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]In Utah, you can sometimes try some sight fishing if you find suckers holding over gravel in shallow water. It makes it easier to place the fly and watch the reaction. Otherwise, the take is pretty much "slurp and spit" without much of a feel to it. If you can watch the take you have a better chance of sticking them. In deeper water you don't have much hope unless you fish with bait.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
[Tongue][Tongue] Cute!!

You know this just confirms what we've all thought:
Dude...you have waaaay too much time on your hands!!
[signature]
Hey TD!!! isnt that a ...........Baby Bass lure???lmao

laters,
[signature]
Hey, I have a few of those around the house now! Thanks for the good laugh TD[sly].....
[signature]
You made me spew coffee on my monitor. LMAO Thanks

Kayote
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]Hey, hey...Special K. Sorry about the wasted brew and I hope your electronics didn't short out on ya.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]If ya like the sucker fly, wait 'til ya see my Dolly Parton pattern tomorrow. Everytime I make one up somebody sneaks it out of my tackletorium. But, I got the makins so I'll post a pic when I get a new one wrapped up. (hint: it will have ya seein' "double". Wink Wink)[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]By the way guys, has anybody else seen that segment on Animal Planet where they show a school of carp passing around a baby's pacifier. I think it was probably shot in an aquarium and they dropped the "binky" in with the carp. Those carp would slurp on it a few times and then spit it out. Then another one would work it over. Disgusting what those carp will eat.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]