Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rapala lures
I always hear about people hitting on Rapala lures, but I have yet to use them. Are they mainly for trolling and is there a type that could be use from shore or float tube? What would you recommend for trout or wipers?
[signature]
Rapala lures are not just for trolling. Lots of people cast them, too. They're very productive. What species are thinking of using them for?
[signature]
I was thinking mainly trout-but wipers and possibly tiger muskie/salmon.
[signature]
[Smile] Big jointed Rapals work well for pike and, I hear, for tiger muskies. I fish Shad Raps and jointed Shad Raps for walleyes and wipers, countdown Rapalas for walleyes (and I have taken pike as big as 25 lbs. on the 3" size) and Husky Jerks for a variety of species. Husky jerks are supposed to be a great pre-spawn choice for walleyes, but I haven't gotten out early enough the last couple of years to give them a fair try. That ought to give you an idea of versatility. Hope it helps!
[signature]
Don is right. Rapalas are great, versatile lures. They come in all shapes, sizes, and patterns. However, I wouldn't doubt if you don't need more than the rainbow trout pattern in any style. You can check out all of the lures at www.rapala.com and you can learn how to fish each particular lure. As far as trout, here's a link to an article specifically about fishing rapalas for trout:

http://omega.grad.uiowa.edu/TipsAndTechn...rapala.htm

Speaking of trout, I cought a beautiful 19 inch brown last week on a floating rapala last week. I should upload the photo.

Good luck!!
[signature]
Shad Raps are absolutely great lures for wiper, walleye, and even bass during late spring/summer. They have a good tight wobble and you can get nice erratic darting actions with them twitching and jerking without them rolling over.

For long minnow baits I prefer Rattlin Rogues, mainly because they are easier to cast with them being heavier, and they dart and twitch easier than the Rapalas.

One thing to remember IMO with these baits is make sure they are running true. I know they all say that they're tanked tested at the factory, but I have found 1 out 3 need a little tuning.
[signature]
[Smile]I am a big Rap fan also! I have over 50 different versions on Shad Raps and probably 20 Husky jerks. If i could only troll with one lure, I would choose a #7 Firetiger Shad Rap. My second choice would be the same color in a jointed version.

When we were kids back in Missouri, we hads lots of little rivers and creeks full of both largemouths and smallies. I use to love to throw a floating Rap close by a wood pile or undercut bank bank and just twitch the rap ever so slightly. The strikes were small explosions and usually you could see the fish coming.

That size 14 Husky Jerk is a great Pike lure also!
[signature]