Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dolly Fly
[cool][blue][size 1]Had a buddy who told me he was going fly fishing in Alaska. Asked me to make him some flies for Dolly Varden. My hearing is getting bad and I thought I heard Dolly Parton.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]Here's how the fly turned out.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
Nice pattern, TD. I wonder if you could whip something up for me to take to Lake Powell to fish for strippers???

Oh, wait a minute. Lake Powell has stripers. Las Vegas has....
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]Sorry Don. I use a lot of A and D thread, and sometimes E...for tying large flies and jigs. Haven't been able to find any "G String" for tying stripper flies.[/size][/blue]
[signature]
VERY clever comeback!!!
[signature]
Yes, I'm sure now. You definatly have to much time on your hands.
[signature]
There is actually a similar fly called the Booby fly that is killer on still water when fishing over weedbeds. It is done with foam on the front and fished with a sinking line. It allows your line to drag on the weeds while the fly floats above the weeds. It has a good tight wobble action when trolled or stripped like a small rapala. I have even noticed it helps to draw red or pink on the ends of the foam. Go figure! LMAO
[signature]
[laugh] The creative juices we're really flowing when you came up with that one.[Wink]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff][size 1]Always good to keep "abreast" of new ideas.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]I don't know if he still makes, promotes or uses them, but many long years ago Dave Scadden did an article on using closed cell foam poppers on the end of a fast sinking line. He would cast out and let the line drag the foam fly down and then work it to keep the fly rising and diving.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]I have done the same thing by rigging them "Carolina style"...with three feet of leader coming up from a swivel, and a half ounce egg sinker sliding on the line behind the sinker. I have always used more traditional color patterns...shad, sunfish, perch, etc., but during the spawn, I suppose some extra "enticement" might attract some "bites".[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1][/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]Hey Mike, you and DoninDenver conspiring to create the conception that I gots nothin' better to do than wrap rediculous flies?[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]I'll have you know that I do that stuff only in my free time...between 12:00 and 12:05 AM. Otherwise I am totally involved in more gainful pursuits. Oh yeah, once in awhile I get the chains loose and sneak out for some fishing.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]Et tu, Bearclaw?[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]You wouldn't believe some of the wild and wacky stuff I have cranked out over the years. [/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]At one time I made a whole line of fish fly earrings and pins...made on gold safety pins. I do either traditional patterns or psycho-delic...with wild color schemes. By the way, the earrings are tied on gold wire hooks and then the barbs are cut off. Could be a bit difficult to remove from the earlobes if you pushed the barbs through the piercing holes.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]My number one daughter once won a prize at a costume party at school by wearing an old pair of waders and a slouch hat stuck full my crazy pins and assorted feathery nonsense.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
As for me, I appreciate the good laugh[Smile]. I only wish I was that creative. My "around the house" hobbies are much less fun and a lot like work[Wink], ie finishing the basement, yard work and honey do's.. If I had the creativity I would probably come up with something like this dual purpose lure. Even if its much less entertaining than "the Dolly"[Wink]
[signature]