Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Future of Fishing
Future of fishing begins with a shared responsibility

[Image: 4104_libbytn.jpg]
Cutline: Libby Heone, an accomplished muskie angler at 16, strongly supports programs, like MinnAqua, that help kids experience the thrill of fishing.

When Libby Hoene was 10-years-old, she and a group of kids registered for a Lake Superior salmon fishing expedition. The outing was sponsored by MinnAqua, a program offered through the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources (DNR). But four-foot waves kept them off the lake and fishing in a bay closer to shore.

"I wish we could've fished for salmon, it would've been a great opportunity," Heone recalled. "But I did end up catching the largest fish out of the entire group, a 36-inch northern. I didn't try, it just happened that way."

Catching the largest fish is a habit Heone has yet to break. The 16-year-old muskie fishing dynamo from Coon Rapids today fishes competitively on the Professional Muskie Tournament Trail. Plus, she's already landed 156 muskies - more than many muskie anglers with twice her experience.

Each year thousands of kids just like Heone get to experience the thrill of catching a fish - big or little - for the first time thanks to MinnAqua. But there's more to that program than just fishing.

"It's about establishing a connection to and appreciation for Minnesota's natural resources," said Jenifer Matthees, DNR aquatic education coordinator. "By using fun, hands-on activities, we're able to not only teach the enjoyment fishing can provide, but also the importance of being good stewards of the environment."

Minnesota's population centers began a gradual shift from rural to urban areas in the 1960s. Today, more than 75-percent of the state's population resides in the 11 counties that make up the Twin Cities metropolitan area. That shift created a need to keep the state's most popular pastime from collecting dust in an antique store somewhere. In 1990, the DNR created the MinnAqua program to keep the focus on the sport by teaching fishing basics to new anglers, and giving others a refresher course.

Since 1997, MinnAqua has served more than 300,000 kids, women, senior citizens, new immigrants and people with disabilities, an average of about 45,000 per year. The program offers a wide variety of educational opportunities for participants. Topics include classes on fishing regulations and habitat management to Take-A-Kid-Fishing events in June and fishing trips, like Heone's attempted Lake Superior salmon fishing expedition.

Even with more than two million anglers, Minnesota's 5,400 game fish lakes and 15,000 miles of fishable streams and rivers provide plenty of room for beginners and old hands to share the state’s rich fishing heritage together.

When it comes to fishing, Heone is no amateur - her 156 muskies makes her the youngest angler to ever reach 150 muskies caught - all were released. Now the Coon Rapids High School sophomore has her sights set on 200. Libby's kid-like enthusiasm for fishing began innocently on Oct. 10, 1996, when she landed her first muskie on Mille Lacs Lake at the age of nine. From that point on, she's been hooked.

"No one ever forgets the day they caught their first muskie, especially when it's 48-inches," Heone explained.

When she has free time - in the morning, at night, on weekends and holidays, and during summer break and the school year - she prefers to spend it with a line in the water.

Her love for the sport doesn't leave much time for other after-school activities except homework, which she jokingly admitted is a lesser priority when the fish are biting.

Still, Heone is very much a teen-ager. She spends time at the mall and movies with friends, and enjoys painting her nails, getting her hair done and buying trendy clothes. Posters of music pop-star Justin Timberlake hang in her bedroom. And she likes the color pink.

"If muskies could see the pink, I'd use it," Heone giggled. "It's my favorite color and I think they'd like it too."

Heone's healthy obsession for muskie fishing has catapulted her into the national spotlight. She is best of friends with professional fishing greats Al Lindner, Ted Takasaki and others. In Minnesota, she has been interviewed by the likes of Ron Schara and WCCO-TV anchor Don Shelby.

Heone and her father, Tim, her fishing guide and companion, were recently featured on Gander Mountain's "We Live Outdoors," which can be seen on the Outdoor Life Network. She has adorned the cover of fishing magazines and has been the focus of countless magazine and newspaper articles. She's been an expert presenter at events such as the Northwest Sportshow and Gander Mountain fishing expos.

And, she's been invited to speak before local fishing organizations, and church and community groups.

"No matter where she goes, Libby always seems to draw a crowd," her father Tim said. Although she has participated in MinnAqua-sponsored events, Heone credits her father for introducing her to fishing when she was just a toddler.

Heone guarantees it will always be in her life and high on her priority list. Because of the experiences she has been able to share with her father, Heone recognizes the value of programs like MinnAqua.

"It's great for kids or for anyone who has never had the chance to fish to learn how and share the experiences," she said.

Putting fishing poles in anglers' hands is only one part of the equation. The next step is finding a place to use them. In 2003, Minnesota had 849,379 licensed boats. Even though that seems like a lot, there are possibly just as many, if not more, anglers who don't own or have access to one. As the state's population becomes increasingly urbanized and concentrated within the 11-county metropolitan area, the need exists to provide people with a fishing hole of their own closer to home.

This is where the DNR's Fishing in the Neighborhood (FiN) program plays an important role for all anglers.

"Even though Minnesota's urban areas are growing, there is still a great demand to enjoy the outdoors and this includes fishing," Matthees said. "We want to ensure everyone has the same opportunities and connections to the outdoors as previous generations. FiN helps provide that."

In conjunction with MinnAqua, FiN focuses on increasing access to angling opportunities within the Twin Cities area. By installing fishing piers and platforms, rehabilitating shorelines and stocking efforts at various lakes throughout the 11-county metropolitan area, FiN aims to provide everyone with the same opportunity to catch fish.

The DNR continues to proactively manage fisheries throughout the state, but as more people move to metropolitan-area counties, the agency is working hard to ensure the next generations can continue enjoying Minnesota's most popular pastime and healthy natural resources.

In addition to these DNR programs, Heone sees her age as important to help encourage more people, especially kids, to toss a line in the water. She is organizing a muskie fishing tournament, open to anglers of any ability, scheduled for Oct. 2 on Lake Minnetonka on behalf of the Make-A-Wish Foundation.

She also has a standing offer to fulfill the wish of any kid to go fishing and "just be a kid" for a few hours. She does work with Capable Partners, an organization devoted to providing opportunities for people with disabilities.

And, she sees herself as a role model for what fishing can provide to anyone - excitement, camaraderie and even competition. "I have released every muskie I've caught," Heone said. "We have to preserve the sport. The future of fishing has to do with me, and me helping get kids into the sport. I want them to share my past experiences. And if I don't release fish, then kids, and I, won't have those opportunities."

In an era where technology and improved access to lakes, rivers and secret fishing holes are making it easier for anyone to pick up a fishing pole and catch fish, programs like MinnAqua and FiN, and the youthful enthusiasm of people like Heone, can help assure fishing continues to be one of Minnesota's most popular pastimes and not on a shelf somewhere collecting dust.

[signature]