Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lanier 5/10/04
I made my first trip to Lanier in my kayak to hunt for stripers. I trolled shiners on slightly weighted (3/8 oz) jigheads. No stripers, but did manage 5 spotted bass, one that was pretty nice sized and a beauty that spit the hook back at me after getting his whole beautiful self out of the water less than 10 feet from the boat. I'm pretty early on the learning curve and have yet to catch a striper, but for me this was a great day. Most of the spots were in shallow water (6-10 feet) near points. A small group of baitfish were jumping out of the water as I paddled up to the last location (where I caught 2 and the big one got away).

Water surface temperature was 78-79 degrees according to my fishfinder. Weather was sunny and clear all day. Fished around the island at Nix Bridge Park after talking with the guys at Hammonds about locations I might have a chance of finding stripers. The guys there were very helpful, they advised that the "false spawn" fish should be making their way back from the rivers over the next several weeks, toward the main lake.

I'm open to any suggestions for technique or locations, especially locations that meet the rather quirky criteria for yakfishing:

1) a put in spot that is within 1-1.5 miles of a potential daylight striper hangout;

2) a good chance of NOT being run over by other boats (this keeps me at home or on less heavily trafficed water on weekends). Lanier is a beautiful reservoir...especially during the work week.

Eventually, I'll get a striper,

R2B
[signature]