Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Got a new rod today
Well, I finally got the English Carp rod I ordered from Wacker Baits online. Shipping from Indiana 's rather quick.

I bought the Fox " Warrior " Carp rod. Its 2-piece, 12ft rod with a 2.75 test curve. I matched that up with a Quantum XR60 real as well. I'm partial to the Quantum XR's and SS's BTWSmile

I'm on vacation from the 22nd through the 31st, so i'll have ample time next week to test this baby out....

here's a picture of it from Foxs' website.

http://www.foxint.com/catalogues-product...section=17
[signature]
wow, let us know how it works out, is this for flinging lures a mile from shore? cool . .

sm
[signature]
i'm sure it can be!!

The British fish for carp heavily, and its a pretty specialized thing over there. The carp have seen everything and are really hard to catch, so all this specialed equipment, and baits, and tactics were needed.. and those rods are one of them.

Being that the rods can cast 3 or 4 oz weights well over 100yds, I thought this would be a killer investment for Lake Mead shore fishing! I'm going to use this one , as of right now, for bottom fishing. Hoping to get another or find a cheaper 10ft Steelhead rod or ugly stick for plugs and maybe a slip-float rig...with a feeder or one for both!
[signature]
Hey Black Adder,

I've done a fair bit of fishing for carp at Lake Mead. Chum a bit of corn with a cheapie slingshot and then string a bit of corn on a hook and you're in business. One thing I've found is I do better fishing closer to shore... right where the water goes dark or just a bit deeper.

I also saw your answer to my chum post, so maybe we can get together sometime and plan it out. I've had real good luck at Mead using the above method... where I've been unlucky is catching them with my fly rod. I've gotten a few and I'm getting better, but it's a whole new ball game... and quite fun as well Smile.

Finally, I built myself an ultralight spinning rod with carp and/or trout in mind when it's too windy to use my fly rod. I built it on a 8ft 3wt fly blank and it's perfect for the job. The graphite does wonders for absorbing the shock of a strong run protecting the 4lb I generally run on it. It also casts quite well. If you're looking for a specialty carp rod I'd suggest buying yourself a blank and building it up. It's easy to do. I've built plenty rods, but that first one is still really special to me and it's my most used rod. It's had quite a few years of tough fishing and still going well... The point you can do a fine job first time out.

It's gonna be a week or so before I hit Lake Mead, Mon - Wed I'm gonna be in Utah with some friends from work so it'll be after that, maybe we can plan a trip together.

Mark
[signature]
Hey Telbone try chuming with bread and try some Unbelievables in White or Oregon Cheese.
[signature]
I've tried bread and floating dog/trout food. The biggest problem then is the ducks and seagulls crowd in as well. So I generally chum bottom stuff.

If you could fish off the docks I could catch 100's a day but it's a pretty steep fine. Also in an earlier post, someone had said you could fish with a boat for carp inside the marinas. I've checked out two of the marinas and both don't allow fishing within the tires. There are a couple of more but I've been told it's the same at all of them. I'm gonna email the fish and game commission and get the scoop from them directly.

If you ever get the time go throw a bag of popcorn off the docks at Mead and watch the feeding frenzy that occurs. I saw a small child dump a whole bag at once and the results were amazing.

Does anyone know where I can purchase Range Cubes at? They are supposed to be awesome carp/catfish chum and it also attracts baitfish so crappie/largemouth would be attracted as well.

Later guys,
Mark
[signature]