Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Total bait concept
For years I put a lot of lures in my tackle box, thinking that most would be used eventually. The soft plastics were unrigged, the hooks were not always checked for strength or sharpness, proper sizes for jig heads and hooks (depending on soft plastic size), may not have been included, trailers I knew from experience that would work, may have been forgotten etc.,etc.. <br>The box was a mess after a few weeks of fishing and I couldn’t find confidence baits when I needed them or in the condition that was optimal. The Total Bait idea popped into my brain. Look at it this way – If you told someone to organize your box with quality lures and components that you believed would maximize your ability to catch fish on a certain day or in a certain season, (experimental lures included), what would be on the list? How about:<br><br>1. all hooks must be sharp and have no rust. (jig hooks, treble hooks, worm hooks) <br>2. soft plastics or hard baits should be grouped so that you don’t have to search beneath layers of bags and baits. <br>3. soft plastic baits should be rigged ready for casting – worms rigged straight on sharp hooks, with bullet weights of proper size in an adjacent compartment, along with tooth picks for pegging and sinkers for drop shotting, swivels for Carolina, etc.. <br>4. grubs should be rigged on properly sized jig heads, with hooks tested for sharpness and gap. <br>5. chrome blades and spoons should be polished or replaced and chips painted over, if painted; hooks must be sharp and split rings must be closed. <br>6. crankbaits and surface plugs must have quality split rings, and trebles must be sized properly and sharp; grouping should be according to depth. <br>7. spinnerbait skirts should be of the best color and in the best condition; sharp trailer hooks and a wide elastic bands (cut as stoppers),should be included in the same box or compartment; trailer grubs or pork is close by. <br>8. Most important of all is that I have total confidence in the baits and components I put in my box.They are complete baits in that they have successfully answered the question, ' what will work under certain conditions and have done so time after time?' <br><br>The above examples illustrate that each bait is ‘complete’ and ready to use, like any tool or tool assortment that is needed for a specific job. Once lures or components fall below the ‘complete’ status, (i.e. dull hook, ripped plastic, substandard anything), it goes into a separate plastic bag(s) to be gone through at home for repair or discard. A tackle box is not a garbage can. Life for some is so much easier with organization, discipline and confidence. For me, that means my tackle seems brand new (even if used) and at hand for quick-change when I feel that one is necessary. <br>Variety is the spice of fishing, but a few will do. Pack a few of different types of baits. You'll avoid the hernia lifting the box into your boat. <br><br>'Complete baits' are the only lures in my box; a few 'complete', experimental baits are kept separate and put back in storage if they don't produce after a certain period of time.<br><br>If your a slob fisherman and proud of it, all the power to ya. Just disregard this post and don't forget to take out that left-over sardine sandwich before next trip. <br><br><A HREF="http://www.frontiernet.net/~postcard/lure modification/" target="_new">http://www.frontiernet.net/~postcard/lure modification/</A><br><br>