Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stone Reservoir report 5-18-04
I fished Stone with a friend today and caught lots of small planter rainbows eleven to twelve inches long on spinners and flatfish while trolling. The water is high and thirty feet deep at the dam. Temp was 60 degrees if the fish finder is accurate. We tried for some bass in the shallow north end, but no takers. The camp ground host said there would be a bass tournament there in several weeks. BrianID, do you have any information on this?

The fish were scattered throughout the lake and most were 12 to 14 feet down. It would have been fun to land a lunker, but having been skunked more times this year than I have caught fish it was nice to have some success. My spinner seemed to outfish Duane's and I kept getting the "look" from him when I kept hitting them and he wasn't, but I have been the one getting nothing many a time.

The Forest Service charges $4.00 per vehicle to park at the boat launch area. The water is owned by the irrigation company, but the campground is on Federally owned land and ran by the Forest Service. There are camping units with grass available, but not much shade.

The wind came up bad in the afternoon, and it was miserable getting off the pond. We got a little wet from the waves splashing into the boat, but survived to fish another day. I really wanted to get into the bass, but the trout made up for the lack of them. Any one else fished there and had any success on the bass? Acey
[signature]
Thanks for the report.

If you want to find out when a fishing tournament is go to http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/fish/tournaments/. This page is normally updated about once a month at this time of the year.

The Eagle Rock Bassmasters will have a tournament at Stone ReservoirJune 24 at 05:30 ending 15:00 with 12 people and 6 boats.
[signature]
Brian- Thanks for the information. I had no idea there were so many bass clubs in Idaho. Do any of the guys ever post in the Idaho BFT site? Is the Eagle Rock club based in Pocatello? Do you fish the tournaments or did I read one of your posts that you use that information to know where not to go? Ha-ha.

I would still like to make a trip with you somewhere, sometime. What is your schedule for next week? I usually make out our work schedule on Friday for the next week, and so if I know in advance I can usually schedule my employees around my plans. I still have quite a few vacation days I need to use before June 13th, so I am looking for an excuse to use a vacation day for fishing. I will probably take the family on a camping/fishing trip somewhere on June 10-12th, but I still have 4 weeks of vacation time coming that I can use anytime from now to next year. We drove up the Cub River by Franklin ID Sunday afternoon for a weenie roast and checked the campground at Willow Flats. I liked the looks of it.

I will probably go with the local Boy Scout troop to Camp Loll, WY the last week of July. I am still debating if I want to spend ten bucks a day for the WY license to fish there. Let me know if you can plan a trip. Alan ( a.k.a Acey)
[signature]