Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Water Skiers... who do they think they are?
I had received a PM from one of Willard bay's fanatics (Can't give name as I didn't ask him permission). A small segment of the letter was dedicated to idiotic waterski boat and their idiotic company, that had the whole northwest area to themselves but they decided they wanted to ski right in the middle of some hot wiper hole. They had to plow right in the middle of a whole bunch of fishing boats on the south east side... I looked to the north and west, they couldn't go there, so they ski right in the middle and in front of us fishermen who were busy trolling.

I decided to wave at them to get the heck out of there and to go north... no they ignored us... so they went again into the whole lot of us fishermen... I was abit Angry... so I decided to pull reverse psychology, and give them standing ovations every time they fell down... eventually they got the idea and left. I couldn't beleive how stupid those morons to go right into the whole lot of us boats and going less than 150 yards.. and this hadda happen before memorial day! Morons seems to come crawling out of the woodwork with poor manners around this time of the year.
[signature]
Maybe you guys should strech a rope between your boats, and see how well they can "limbo" on skis.

Seriously though, is there anyone you can report these people to and would it do any good? Potato canons?
[signature]
Just lob a 6 oz weight in front of them as they start into your midst paint it bright red after few times and a few near misses they will get the message!
[signature]
Thats what a good powerful paint ball gun is for!!!..LOL.. I know what you guys mean,they are the same way at deer creek,they have to whole lake but they like to show off and think there cool by comming up right next to you
[signature]
As a person that is a fisherman and a waterskier ,i see both sides.When iam fishing i dont want to be bothered by waterskiers and when iam watersking i dont get near fisherman

This very subject has came up before on another site,and potatoe cannons,paintballs,even frozen water ballons were mentioned as ways to fend off offending people.Given the way that society is today all of these methods could get a person in trouble with the law,as possible be consisdered as assault.

Dealing with bad mannered people is a fact of life,some people just dont have a clue.If you have a camera i would take pics of how close they are and try to get thier reg #off their boat and see what can be done,if they see you takeing pics they might high tail it away from you.
[signature]
I understand what your saying kokeking,and personaly I have never gone or used any of those tatics.Usually its the younger kids who borrow daddys boat and take it up with there buddys that make the rest of the waterskiers look bad.
[signature]
I'm afraid that if they saw me taking pictures, they'd come back and act more stupid so that I could get a more flattering shot of their skiing prowess.

I know that actually doing anything like shooting paintballs at them would only land me in jail, but it's a frustrating situation and it makes me feel better to fantasize about retaliation.

I think most of them are like you. They respect others and leave us alone. The jetskiers I encountered at Echo were actually quite respectful the other day. However, the jerks tend to tick me off.

It's everybody's lake and we should all be able to enjoy it.
[signature]
I have mentioned several times the need to install paintball guns on my boat. Not to hit the people, but to put a few colorful marks on their boat that they spend hours polishing. I would never actually dare do this, but there needs to be some stricter enforcement.

I used to cruise Strawberry on smaller aluminum boats and was seriously rocked several times. One thing to keep in mind, if you ever lose any gear due to those boaters coming too close, they are personally and financially responsible for your loss. (This is actually stated in the boating laws) My $30 pole may suddenly become a $130 pole. Smile

One thing for all boaters to keep in mind: That 150' wakeless zone doesn't mean you come right up to that range at full speed then lay off the throttle. The worst waves are caused either before you get up on plane, or as you are coming down off plane.

I have had way too many times where a person will come in and then kill the throttle right before they get to me, throwing huge waves at my boat. Just as bad or worse are the boaters that think they are being courteous by going slowly past you, but aren't patient enough to go wakeless. The speeds just before you climb up on plane can really throw some nasty waves. Please keep this in mind, especially when you are on lakes where there are smaller boats, pontoons, or float tubes. I'm sure the tubers have plenty to say in this area, too.
[signature]
This problem has come up before and the answer that I liked was to get the boats registration numbers and turn it in as soon as you can. They will be fined if caught in time. Use your cell phone if you can. As for pictures, what can they do to you. You have the right to take pictures to protect your rights. Anything else that you do to retaliate, puts you in the same category as them. Let the law do the dirty work.
[signature]
Hey,, how about just making up a large sign that reads,, "Hey come closer, I want to take a better look at an idiot!" and hold it up next you run into that type of situation. Just a thought..
[signature]
As we all know and have experienced it. There are inconsiderate people on the water everytime you go out.I fish from shore and it never fails no matter where I am. If watersking is allowed they are right in front of me. I kinda found a solution for Willard Bay. My son takes his bow to shoot carp and if their are any water skiers close he just pulls it up and walks the dike for alittle while and for some reason they move way out awat from us. Go figure.
[signature]
Hmm, the intimidation factor. I like it. Maybe I'll take my SKS with me next time, or mount it in the oarlocks.
[signature]
If you are fishing from shore, an easy solution for those that come too close to shore is skip rocks. Boaters see that and they tend to steer clear of those rocks skipping toward their boats.
[signature]
or you could just pee in the water. that might cause them to turn around too.
[signature]
I like duck season. Nothing like a few 12g rounds to clear yourself enough room to fish, and hunt, without taking up the whole lake. I guess that they don't like the ducks or the pellets falling out of the sky on them.

I grew up skiing on Utah Lake, Deer Creek, and Lake Powell. I know if I had gone anything more than wakeless or within 150 feet of a fisherperson or their gear, that my dad would have tanned my hide but good. He does not fish now, and didn't then, he just has respect for others. This is what we truly need; More parents willing to take the responsibility for the actions of ( and the teaching of ) the little ones. You can't always be there and kids will eventually do something stupid, but if they know they will get in more trouble from mom and dad than what the police do to them, they are a lot less likely to do it.
[signature]
Two solutions. One, keep a big heavy bass lure on a pole and cast it at the jerks. If you catch one and they complain to the authorities, you can easily prove that you cannot cast 150' and therefore they must have just gotten too close and crossed your cast.

Second solution is to keep a camera (digital best)on board and snap a picture of their bow numbers with someone or something in your boat in the foreground to reference the picture and send it into the Parks Department along with a complaint, your name, address, date, time, etc. That is evidence enough for them to issue a citation of a 150' violation. I did this at Powell with a guy on his jet ski and they nailed him good.
[signature]