Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Inboard/Outboard battery
Is there any special type of battery I need for a MercCruiser 160HP? I believe it will take just a regular car battery since it has a alternator. Any idea anyone?
[signature]
I've had good luck with a marine starting type battery. They're built stronger to take the abuse of pounding waves.
[signature]
I was caught in an area where I really didn't have a choice and had to purchase an auto battery for my boat and it lasted less than six months. Purchase the best marine battery that you can afford, they may look the same, but the marine battery can take the pounding much better.
[signature]
Car batteries and marine batteries are designed different, since a car's battery is designed for releasing all its power in one big blast each time you start your car. But marine batteries are designed for a long, slow discharge.

That said, there are two types of marine batteries, deep cycle and dual-purpose. A deep cycle is designed for powering an electric trolling motor or accessores. A dual-purpose battery is designed to start your boat's motors AND to run electronics like your sonars, downriggers, VHF radio, lights, etc. Since most of us tend to use many electronics, you want the biggest battery you can fit in your battery storage area.

You can buy good marine batteries at Costco, Wal-Mart, etc.
Actually, I have a truck battery that has been in my boat since before I got it 3 years ago. I have never once had a problem with it. In fact, I have never even had to charge it after sitting the whole winter. It is used to start my 135 HP. outboard, and also used to power my fish finder.

While deep cycle batteries and car batteries are made differently, the only real difference is the way it drains. As mentioned previously, the deep-cycles are made to take a long, slow discharge.

If you are running it on an inboard outboard that has an alternator, generator, or some kind of charging system, you would be fine with a truck battery, unless you run an electric troller when your main engine isn't running. (fishfinders don't take enough power to really drain down a regular battery)

Also, as mentioned previously, make sure you get a larger size battery. They handle temperature changes a lot better.

One other thing to think of....the car / truck batteries are being made a LOT better lately. It used to be your car battery would die every couple of years. Now they can practically last forever. Go look at the warranties on car batteries. Many now carry a 2 year full replacement warranty (not pro-rated) then start pro-rating after the 2 years. Deep cycle batteries have very little warranty.

The truck battery has done just great for me, and I'm sure it will suit you fine. If you are running an electric troller, I would just get a second battery to power just that troller. Saves you from getting stuck out there with a dead battery, anyway.

Just my $.02 worth.
[signature]
[#800080][size 2]The boys all have valid points. I bought a everstart walmart battery after my interstate battery died for my old Bayliner. Walmart has quality batteries at good prices. [/size][/#800080]
[signature]
I would second the wal-mart choice. I just replaced my battery and looked pretty hard and found that wal-mart had good guarantees and prices. I bought a dual purpose marine battery.
[signature]
i heard if you buy a walmart battery they last forever take them back every year and exchange them[Wink]
[signature]
Thx all for the replies. I went down to walmart and bought a Marine starting battery. Only a few dollars difference from the car batteries. I also bought a battery box, longer battery cables so I can relocate the battery. [Smile]
[signature]
[size 2]Consider a fuse panel to run all your electronics to and then main wires to the battery (less cluster). Also look into a battery switch for dual or single batteries depending on your application. Let me know what your doing and I can draw a wiring diagram for ya!![/size]
[signature]
I'll but the beer, you come over and wire it[shocked] [Wink]

I only have 2 main cables going to the battery?[unsure]
[signature]
see hersley battery that is all they do and get a delco trust me i work in the eletricial industry cars trucks tractors and boats i have been selling alternator and starter parts and units to rebuilders plus i worked for a and e generator and i sell alternators i know dc better then most but go with a deep cycle marine starting battery call hensley battery they are the pros
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Need a Perko Switch? I've got a good used one...[/size][/font]
[signature]
Whats a perko switch?
[signature]
[size 3]Perko: the best manufacturer of battery switches!!![/size] [size 3]I will buy it from ya regardless if troy wants it or not!
[/size]
[signature]
[center][/center][center][Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=4528;]
[url "http://www.cgedwards.com/Perko/pko13.html"]http://www.cgedwards.com/Perko/pko13.html[/url][/center]
[signature]
Thx for the offer BLM, but I only have one battery and with the engine having its own alternator, I dont think I will need 2 batteries. But make sure you sell it to Fish1on with a 200% mark up. [Tongue]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]With the boat you just bought, you'll be up to two and possibly three batterries in no time. You'll want a battery for starting and another for lights, electronics, and all the other gadgets you'll have on a cruiser. Might as well set it up right now.[/size][/font]
[signature]
I bought aeverstart battery about 3 years ago and I have treated it pretty bad (one time my truck died and I popped the hood and found it laying on top of the exhaust manifold) and it is still going strong. At the time I payed 29.99 for it, and I worked at Checker, and I can tell you that one of Checkers $30 batteries would not still be ticking!
[signature]
I couldn't agree more!!! I will not use any other marine battery. Since I changed to AC Delco, I have not had any of the problems I had with other batteries including, I'm sorry to say because I love them for autos, Interstate. I get longer use on the electric motor, and less trouble with winter kill. The last one went 4+ years and it died from my fault. I will buy another and another...

I guess that sounds a little strange. Yes, I put auto batteries in autos and boat batteries in boats.
[signature]