Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Double .... Double Your Fun ... or Double Trouble

Hi again TubeDude,

A question for the master. I've run across a couple of rather interesting subjects concerning tubes that I've not thought much about them until I realized you would have a good slant on them.

I have seen an ad for a single model of a float tube that is advertised as having double walls or more precisely... Having a bladder(s) constructed so that they have an inner bladder and an outer bladder, which is then covered with a standard denier cover.

It was clear they were NOT talking about a tube with multiple, seperate bladders, as is so common nowadays.

Any good info on this tube? Do you know the maker? I have lost where I saw it on the web, and not been able to find the site where it was described again!

I've got the feeling that it might not be as safe as their claims but then I'm pretty much of an optimistic skeptic.

Ever had that feeling? ha ha ha

JapanRon
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]Hey JR, I am not familiar with the beast of which you speak (write). Interesting concept. It would seem that two layers are better than one...at first glance. In reality, the hazards that most often lead to leaks and deflation are not likely to be deterred by another flimsy layer of bladder material. Fish spines, hooks, knife points and other air chamber hazards will usually penetrate two thin layers as well as one thick layer.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]Over the years I have tried to avoid punctures from errant spines and points by using naugahyde aprons over the most vulnerable areas. The Outcast line of craft usually come with heavy PVC coatings on the bottom and on the front of the air chambers...which tends to minimize simple punctures.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Optimistic skeptic? I have heard of the optimistic pessimist. He assured me that his glass was HALF FULL...but he just knew somebody would knock it over.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]That tube sounds like it might fall into the common category of something designed to catch more fishermen than fish. Let me know if you run across it again, and I will keep my eyes open too.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]