Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Morphed Tubes

Hi yet again TubeDude,

Yet another question. More and more it's getting had to distinguish between float tubes and Colorado river rafts!

Donuts, U-boats, Fat Cats, pontoon boats, inflatables, you name it!

I noticed that at least one manufacturer was making float tubes vulcanizng a lighter grade canvas as opposed to the rubber tubes or poly bladders and denier material as a cover.

The craft is advertised as being as good or better in durability as the inflatables like the zodiac. The entire tube is made thru a similar process with makes it impervious to hooks, dragging across rough ground, etc.

Do you think this is a sign of the future? or is it back to the future. ha ha

JapanRon
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]I know, from first hand exposure, that the Zodiac type "skins" are tough. I had also thought that this technology could be well applied to tubing. Looks like somebody had made the leap.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]I would like to see one and maybe "field test" it. I suspect the overall weight would be slightly higher than a thin denier nylon, but in fishing situations where you were at risk for cuts and punctures, the added weight would be a good investment.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Any websites or pics available?[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]

Hi there TubeDude,

The company name of the super tough float tube is Dabbie Products. [url "http://www.dabbie.net/"]http://www.dabbie.net/[/url] It is a South African firm. The tested it by dragging it behind a vehicle on the highway for 3 clicks and it was still OK! ha ha

Have you visited Field and Stream's website's Black's Directory recently? I believe they have a few new companies making tubes listed. Dabbie not included.

JapanRon
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]Hey JR, I put the link in your post and spent some time looking over their goodies. I'm impressed by what I saw and read. Now If I can just find a conversion table for South African "rands" to US dollars, I will have a better idea as to the value. Here are a couple of pics and some details I "snagged" off their site.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]Thanks, bro.[/size][/#0000ff] Material Features & Benefits

[#003d84][Image: button.gif] These craft are constructed out of a [#ff0000]Vinyl Coated - Polyester base fabric[/#ff0000] as used in the Inflatable boat industry. It is far more resilient and harder to puncture than the denier fabric covered bladders that are used on other types of flotation craft.

[Image: button.gif] Because the fabric is [#ff0000]smooth[/#ff0000] there is nothing for the hook to catch into and they tend to bounce off.

[Image: button.gif] [#ff0000]Mud and the waterline scum is easily washed off the craft[/#ff0000] - unlike on the fabric covered bladders on other craft that are inclined to stain or need regular washing to maintain their looks, otherwise they will stain.

[Image: button.gif] [#ff0000]Water immediately runs off the fabric so it is dry once removed from the water.[/#ff0000] Pack it away in a dry condition and avoid that damp patch (or musty smell) in the cars boot as is often the case with many other products.

[Image: kickmain2.jpg]

[Image: kick333.jpg]

[Image: kick1.jpg]

[Image: BM71_BIG.jpg]

[url "http://www.dabbie.net/bergpics.htm#image"][Image: BM62_SML.jpg][/url]

[/#003d84]
[signature]
I like the size of the stripping apron! I would prefer the mesh though, that would be an easy enough "upgrade" however. It looks like building one of these new homes, the base price isn't too bad, the upgrades will put you in the poor house.

$1=6.59 Rands

FloatMaster =$356

KickMaster (for the more robust tuber)=$376

Pontoon = $404
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]Thanks, Nate. See what all that eddication gets ya.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]I looked up the rand conversion too. Doesn't look like a bad price for the quality. But, I'll bet the shipping will add a chunk to the price.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
I just learned how to look for answers to what I don't know (which seems to be growing larger every year). Near as I can tell, the base model doesn't even come with pockets or aprons, those are extras. However, you could add all the D rings you wanted!

It won't be too long before one of the US manufactures picks up the idea. I need to wear out my pontoon first. I'll be ready for the 'next generation' tube in about 30 years at this rate.
[signature]