Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
willard info
for those interested I spoke with the aquatics division at the dwr yesterday. i was informed that willard received a stock last year of small wipers, didnt ask how many. the small wipers being caught are the hold overs from last year so the wipers are not spawning. i was also told that it will be planted may 29 with 500,000 wipers they said they thought they were the fry size.

i was also informed that pineview is receiving a stock of tigers didnt ask how many and that is at the end of may or early june. for the crappie fisherman i was told that they believe the crappie are cycling out and is the only explanation they had for the poor success for crappie this winter and year. this was also the explanation of the rapid decline in perch populations. im sure some already might know all this so this is for the ones that dont.
[signature]
[font "Arial Black"][red][size 2] Hey Xman, thanks for looking into that for us .[/size][/red][/font]

[font "Arial Black"][#ff0000][size 2] AFdan52[/size][/#ff0000][/font]
[signature]
That's good to know thanks for sharing!
[signature]
Hey X - What did they mean by "cycling out"? The Crappie population in Pineview can't have outgrown their forage base yet can they? The Tigers should be keeping them and their competitors in check pretty good. And how can the Perch be "cycling out"? You can't hardly get rid of Perch when you want to.

The Perch are definitely on the decline in Hyrum too. The Perch popululation in Hyrum has not outgrown their forage base, unless of course the forage base has crashed because of the lack of invertibrate habitat due to low water. I personally think the Perch decline in Hyrum is due to to low water and lack of cover, particularly for the fry, but also the fingerlings and adults, and also invertibrates, but I'm just postulating. Could very well be the same scenario for Pineview because of the lack of flooded vegatation over the last several years.
[signature]
Thanks for the update on the Wipers. It's nice to see that they are still planting some out there. I hope the water doesn't get lower than it did last year though. It would suck to winter kill off all those Wipers.
[signature]
Thanks for the update, was wondering about the crappie up there. Hope to get up there and tag a tiger this summer! Nails
[signature]
he said it was a combination of high and low water levels hurting the spawn which has many variable involved there alone. cycling, i was told since im not a panfish expert, is all panfish cycle in numbers on a boom or bust cycle. their numbers will peak and then decline. i think your right on the low water which probably hurt this "cycle" even more almost depleting them altogether. thats the best explanation that i can think of and was what i was told.
[signature]
i was a little surprised to hear that they were planting so many wipers with the outlook of willard looking quite unsure for a few years to come. but it looks like they made it through at least one winter of the lowest water i have ever seen there.
[signature]
I think you are right Xman on the low water playing a huge part on the decline in perch in places like Rockport. Perch usually lay eggs on vegitation, and brush, but when all of it is out of water they are left with rocks and less cover to spawn and in result less perch. This explains why we dont have a huge amount of spawning perch in Willard and on the opposite side why jordanelle is exploding with them, cause jordanelle has so much oak, sage brush, fallen trees and other vegitation still under water with low water.

Xman great info on the frys going into Willard, I think I heard they hope for a 1/10th survival rate on those fish for success??? Do you know if that is true
[signature]
they really didnt talk about survival rates because the outcome of willard and its water levels is so iffy right now. if its a 10th that would probably be ok being so low.
[signature]