Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NEW PONTOON BOAT
HOWDY, THIS IS MY FIRST TIME ON LINE, REALLY ENJOY READING ALL THE GREAT ADVISE YOU ALL GIVE. I'M A FIRST TIME PONTOON BOAT BUYER AND USER, JUST PURCHASED AN ODC-1018 CREEK COMPANY PONTOON BOAT FROM CABELAS AND LOVE THE SET-UP, HOWEVER HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO GO OUT ON IT DUE TO THE WIND HERE IN TEXAS. LOVE TO FISH CATFISH, BASS AND CRAPPIE IN MIDWEST AND TEXAS AND JUST WONDERING IF ANY ONE HAD ANY ADVISE ON THE CREEK COMPANY PONTOON BOATS. GOT MY WADDERS, LIFEVEST, AND IN PROCESS OF BUILDING A ANCHOR FOR MY BOAT, ANY ADVISE ON FISHING WITH PONTOON BOATS WOULD BE APPRECIATED. ALSO WANT TO BUY A FLOAT TUBE, NOT WANTING TO SPEND MORE THAN 150 DOLLARS FOR ONE, ANY ADVISE
[signature]
Hey WOLFRAD, Hi and welcome to the BFT forums. It's alwasy good to see new members joining and tubers as well. I'm not into tooning yet but maybe one day. I got to make this quick also before my Pops comes along which should be shortly. hee hee.

I could suggest a good float tube for the price range that you are looking for. The company Outcast, makes a good line of tubes. I have one called the FishCat4. It is very comfortable with it's V shaped design. You also ride a little higher off the water than with most other brands of float tube. It has a twin air bladder and a foam seat. It is very comparable to the Super Fat Cat. Just a few dollars less.

I'll go ahead and turn this back over to Pops. Once again, Welcome.
[signature]

Hey there WOLFRAD,

Welcome to the BFT boards. You'll be well taken care of on our boards and as some of our most voicferous of moderators are avid tubers, you're sure to have your questions jumped on just like 'a chicken on a June bug'!

Look forward to your reports, observations, comments, and answers to our questions!

JapanRon
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]Welcome to the floatin' forum. What waters do you fish most and what kind of tackle do you prefer? As you will find, fishing from a pontoon or float tube will probably help you to become a better fisherman, since it puts you more up close and personal with your quarry. Since it is quiet and friendly to the ecology, you get a lot more personal enjoyment too.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]We can all sympathize when it comes to wind. I can fish in almost any conditions, but when the wind comes up, I'm outta there. If it becomes too much like work to fish, then it's time to go home and catch up on the work so you can go fishing again when there ain't any wind.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]TubeN2 made a good suggestion on the Fish Cat from Outcast. Creek also makes some good mid range tubes. They have a good reputation for quality at a good price. [/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]If you wander back through some of the past threads on the forum, you will find that we have hashed over most aspects of flotation fishing at one time or another. If you are just getting into it, send me a Private Message, through the BFT system, giving me your email address, and I will send you some chapters from my unpublished book on 40 years of float tubing. It includes chapters on tackle, species, outfitting your craft, dealing with problems, etc.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Again, welcome aboard and feel free to fire off any questions. We will keep working on you until we have you properly set up and functional. Sorry. Can't do anything about the wind though.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP, THE WATERS THAT I FISH ARE MAINLY SMALL TO MEDIUM LAKES AND PONDS. I ALSO FISH RIVERS AROUND WICHITA FALLS, TX. BUT I DON'T THINK I'D PUT MY PONTOON BOAT IN THE RIVER. I MAINLY FISH FOR BASS, CATFISH AND CRAPPIE, I'M NOT QUIT SURE WHAT I'D DO IF I CAUGHT A REAL BIG CATFISH WHILE ON MY PONTOON BOAT, I GUESS I'D EITHER CUT THE LINE OR SEE WHO WORE OUT FIRST ME OR HIM. BY THE WAY TUBE DUDE THANKS FOR THE INVITATION I'D REALLY APPRECIATE SOME GOOD INFO THAT YOU MIGHT HAVE ON FLOAT TUBING, I'LL GET BACK WITH YOU IN A DAY OR SO. THIS MAY SEEM WEIRD BUT ONE OF MY CONCERNS ABOUT FISHING WITH FLOAT TUBES AND EVEN TAKING THE PONTOON OUT IS WATERMOCCASSINS AND COTTONMOUTHS ALONG WITH OTHER AQUATIC ANIMALS IN THE MID WEST AND TX. HOWEVER I'M NOT GOING TO LET IT SWAY ME ON TAKING OUT THE PONTOON AND FISHING FROM IT AND I'M QUIT CERTAIN I'LL BE PURCHASING A FLOAT TUBE SOON ALSO. GOT TO GO MY 1 YR OLD DAUGHTER IS FUSSING. THANKS AGAIN I'LL BE BACK SOON.
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]Hey Wolfie, I'm going to PM some info to you. It should show up on your email if you elected to get notification by email to responses.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]Let me know if you get it okay and I can feed you more if you are masochistic enough to want it.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]

Hey there WOLFRAD,

I've been eye-balling some of the new pontoon boats with hard bodies and turned up noses. Looks like those guys are ready for some whitewater.

I noticed some pontoon boats are being rated for rafting. Even some of the smaller ones are rated for class 2 rapids, whatever that means! ha ha

Just like a float tube... your ability to stay upright and afloat depends on how much you stretch your common sense.

JapanRon
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]Part 2. (SNAKES) [/size][/blue]

[blue][size 1]I neglected to address the issue of reptiles. I have fished quite a few waters where snakes and gators were a part of the local "experience". That includes a couple of lakes around Dallas that not only had water moccasins but a lot of copperheads along the bank too. The gators can be a problem around Houston and are definitely a potential "playmate" throughout Louisiana, Florida and some areas of Georgia.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]Out here in Arizona we occasionally have rattlesnakes that come out into the water. This happens a lot in the spring when rising waters flood out dens or fill up an arm that the snakes are used to crossing as they spread out for food and mating after coming out of their dens. [/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]I do not have a fear of snakes, but I respect them and do not care to get up close and personal with a snake that can do some damage. TubeBabe (my wife) has always had a pronounced fear of snakes, no matter what kind they are. Whenever we are out somewhere and I hear a "high C", I don't ask "what is it". I ask "where is it". She is definitely a good snake radar.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]I have to admit that whenever I am fishing in waters where water moccasins are around, I am never totally at ease. I have had enough first hand experience with them and heard enough stories that I would rather not have to deal with them. They are more curious and aggressive than most other snakes and will strike with little provocation.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]The good news is that you are more at risk while walking along the bank than while out in the water. Most bites occur when people either step on them or suddenly come right up on them and they feel threatened. That means that whenever possible, you should launch your craft from a concrete boat launch, rather than trudging through shoreline grass and brush for any distance.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Another good preventative is to fish from a tube or pontoon during the colder months, and/or in the early morning, before the snakes warm up and start moving. If you see any out in the water, or sunning on shoreline rocks or bushes, you might just wanna move away from that area or get out of the water all together.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]If you ever find yourself face to face with a moccasin, and it seems intent on joining you in your craft, there are several possible remedies. First, empty your pistol full of "snake loads" into it. If you don't carry a pistol, then take your stoutest bass rod and flail the water in front of you, to discourage the snake from using you as a floating rest stop...or worse. [/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Of course, you need to be kicking up a rooster tail with your fins too. But, if the snake gets serious, the next step is to leave a foot or so of line (with your lure on it) and using the tip of the rod, wrap several wraps of line around the snake's neck, just behind the head. This will snare the persistent serpent and allow you to at least keep it a rod's length away, while you paddle for shore to "dispose" of it.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]If the snake gets inside of your perimeter defenses, you can use your landing net to smack it a few good shots. The heavy ring around most nets is enough to stun the snake and to allow you to make a retreat.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Most snakes will try to get away from you if you let them. Once you make it known to the snake that it is in hostile territory, it will usually change course. But, if it doesn't, you don't have to kill it, just to establish territory rights. Snakes are just trying to live and survive too. [/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]When we hike on desert trails in Arizona, we always carry ski poles. We use them mostly for hiking sticks, to help negotiate our way over rough terrain. However, we refer to them as "snake sticks", since we have had to use them on occasion to lift or push possessive snakes off the trail we were using, in order to pass them. I am sure that a folding wading staff or some other stout rod would serve as well on the water, but have never tried it.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]I will give you credit for having enough good sense to not launch on any water that is infested with potentially dangerous reptiles...during a time of year when they are most active. However, I have never let something like snakes or sharks totally deter me from chasing fish from my tube. If you use common sense, and have a plan for personal protection, in case of an encounter, you are probably safer with snakes than with traffic on your local roads.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
THANKS TUBEDUDE, GOT YOUR INFO ON ALL YOUR FISHING INFO AND EXPEDITIONS YESTERDAY REALLY ENJOYED READING THEM. YOUR MENTIONED GAR IN YOUR INFO. TEXAS AND ILLINOIS I KNOW HAVE GAR IN SOME OR MOST OF THERE LAKES AND HAVE CAUGHT SOME BY ACCIDENT, JUST WONDERING WHAT IS THE POSSIBILITY OF THEM TAKING A BITE FROM YOU WHILE TUBING, I KNOW USING A PONTOON BOAT THERE WOULD BE HARDLY ANY DANGER. STILL HAVEN'T GOTTEN MY PONTOON OUT YET, WORKING IN NEW MEXICO AS A TRAVEL X-RAY TECH AT THE MOMENT AND IT HAS BEEN WINDY I'M SURE FOR 2 TO 3 WEEKS NOW. BE GOING BACK TO TEXAS AND ILLINOIS SOON AND HOPEFULLY WILL BE ABLE TO LAUCH THE SUCKER BEFORE WINTER HITS. LIKE YOU MENTIONED I'M SURE I'LL BE ON MY TOES AND KEEP A WATCH OUT FOR MOCCASSINS, I'VE BEEN TOLD THAT MOST SITES OF MOCCASSINS ARE JUST MAINLY WATERSNAKES, THATS POSSIBLE BUT I DON'T WANT TO GET CLOSE ENOUGH TO FIND OUT. BY THE WAY TUBEDUDE, SINCE YOU ARE AN EXPERIENCED FISHER I WAS WONDERING WHAT YOU THOUGHT WOULD BE THE BEST LINE FOR CATFISH AND BASS (PRODUCT THAT IS). I NORMALLY USE 20 TO 30 POUND BIG GAME LINE ON MY ABU-GARCIAS AND STREN ON MY SPINNING SET UPS. ALSO DO YOU KNOW ANY THING ABOUT THE GORILLA LINE THATS BRAIDED, THOUGHT ABOUT BUYING SOME FOR MY CATFISH REELS. THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL THE INFO.
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]Hey WOLFRAD, now you're gettin' serious. Gars? I have really never gone after them on purpose, while fishing from a tube. My mama drowned all the foolish kids. I would especially not want to be connected to a big ol' 'gator gar. Although, I have fished for them and shot them with arrows from a big sturdy boat.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]The common gars, like the long nose, are often thick in waters you fish for bass, crappies, cats or other fish. Since they chomp both live baits and lures, you can expect the occasional hookup. And, if you get them near your inflated craft, you are putting yourself and your gear at risk. They thrash around a lot and they have a long beak full of teeth. Not something that goes well with inflatables.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Seriously, you have virtually zero chance of one of them attacking you. You only need to get worried if you hook one and bring it too close to you and your craft. They are too tough to gaff and they can trash a landing net. So, if you cannot easily remove the hook, it is best to break them off or cut the line.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]LINE? You can ask a hundred fishermen (especially catmen) about their favorite lines and you will get a hundred answers. The RIGHT answer takes into consideration several factors. 1. What kind of water are you fishing...running, still, deep, shallow, muddy bottom, rocky, snaggy, ???? 2. What species of cats are you fishing for...channels, blues, flatheads??? 3. How big are the fish you are fishing for? 4. How will you be fishing...casting and retrieving, bottom soaking, drifting????[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]I will start by saying that for the past six years I have pretty much used Silver Thread Excalibur lines. This is tough copolymer mono that is very abrasion resistant and has minimum stretch. It does not develop memory and has good knot strength. Now, I fish mostly in open water reservoirs without a lot of snags or blowdowns. If I was soaking bait back in tangles of timber, I would be using Fireline...in heavy poundage.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]I started using Excalibur to keep from losing so many flatheads. I caught lots of channels on Berkeley TriMax and other monos, but whenever I hooked even a smaller flathead, their sharper teeth quickly sawed through the softer lines. Since spooling with Excalibur, I have never had a fish bite me off. I have landed flatheads over 30 pounds on six pound Excalibur. And I take lots of channels over 10 pounds on 4 and 6 pound. I also use this stuff for everything from bluegills to largemouths...to salt water inshore fish in the Sea of Cortez.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]I love to catch big kitties from a float tube. I fish them mostly with jigs tipped with a bit of fish meat, and flavored with shad or crawdad oil. In the clear deepwater reservoirs of the west, catfish are often "sight feeders" and hit lures well. TubeBabe and myself probably catch more cats on lures, during the daytime, than the all-nighter catfish fanatics do soaking baits after dark.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]I haven't had any experience with the Gorilla Line. I suggest you spend some time online, putting it in on search engines, and looking for some reviews you can believe. I suspect the Gorilla line would be good for fishing big fish in snaggy water. The braids are good for their low stretch and their resistance to abrasion when trying to wrestle larger fish out of the cover.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Most lines are good for some kind of fishing. Not all are good for all kinds of fishing. And, the choice of lines is a very subjective thing. The properties one person finds desirable are often totally off for someone else. You just have to decide 1. What do I want 2. What do I not want. Then keep looking until you find it.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
And I quote; "[size 1]I've been eye-balling some of the new pontoon boats with hard bodies and turned up noses.", LOL!! [/size]

[size 1]Well darn it Ron all I can say is, if ya'd be a little nicer those noses wouldn't be so turned up.. [laugh] [/size]
[signature]

Hey there Coldfooter,

That's OK. Even at age 55, I'm not sure I'd survive the rough ride with some of the newer models.

JapanRon
[signature]
Hey Ron

LMAO!,, now nearly 50 I feel the same way! LOL! Whats more, I dont think I'm willing to try[laugh]
[signature]