Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard and Pineview report 5/22
Went out to Willard with MGB yesterday morning. We got on the water at around 11:00 and was off by 2:00 thanks to the high winds and white caps. Mike had one within the first 15 min. just outside the North marina. His reel was screaming as that wiper ripped out line but lost it midway in. Next he hooked and landed a 12" perch that was promptly entered into the FuzzyFisher Challenge. Managed one more Wiper about 17-18" before we left the water. I didn't mange to get a fish or even a bite Sad. Seems like they were bitting better off the side planners.

Hit Pineview after that to try for some smallies. Not much action there at all. Seems like the small mouth action hasn't heated up yet, only got 4 under 12" and missed a few more. Hopefully the fishing at Pineview will get better in a few weeks.

Good luck to all the "Wiper Hunters" out there at Willard today!!! Lets break the state record. You should be hooking in to them as I type and word of advice beware of MGB he's got one hell of a secret lure that only catches monster Wiper. Smile
[signature]
What was MGB's secret lure for catching a perch while trolling? I remember a few people catching them last year but I'm not sure if they were trolling or not. No state record broke today at Willard but BLM caught the biggest wiper I've seen this year. WH2
[signature]
He caught that perch on a plain old diving rapalla. Nothing special just something he pulled out of his tackle box to give a whirl. Some guys just got all the luck I guess, LOL. We were both surprised, thought it was a Walleye till we got him to the boat.
[signature]
I caught the perch on a YO-ZURI SH-75. I've had that lure for over a year and never used it untill Friday. It was in the water only a few minutes and I caught the perch. Yesterday I tried it again and within 10 minutes I caught my 19" walleye.
[signature]
We use a Yo-Zuri Pin Minnow and have luck with it on occasion but have never tried a SH-75, the next time I'm in Sportsman's, I'll have to check one out. I guess the bottom line is you just never know what the fish want, our first wiper yesterday was caught on a 3" regular Rapala Fire tiger but I've never caught a perch at Willard. WH2
[signature]