Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
White Bass
I went out to a local river last week in hopes of catching a local white bass spawn. Initially I was using a chartruese curly tail jig on my spinning outfit as I knew that was a good pattern for the whities. Once I located a small school by landing a fun 10 incher I threw out a white streamer on a full sinking line. Second cast, WHAM! Those little fish put up a nice fight and sure hit hard! I landed 2 in about 5 minutes and then it was over.

The water was a bit cool yet for the spawning run to really come on strong, but it was a memorable day on the water.

The fly I used was all white. Marabou tail, crystal chenelle, and marabou overwing.

Tight lines!
[signature]
[cool][blue]Fun little rascals, ain't they?[/blue]

[#0000ff]Wait 'til you find a large school in a wide open bite mode. Yaaa hooo![/#0000ff]
[signature]
I am looking forward to that time[cool]! I think I finally have my wife convinced that white bass is worth trying on the table.
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]Hey Nate, let me know if you need any recipes. I just came up with an oriental touch that is great. Lay the fillets in a shallow glass dish and sprinkle on some soy sauce. Then powder them with some garlic powder and a little spicy pepper mix. Do both sides and rotate them a time or two an hour before cooking. Sprinkle just a bit of sugar on them as you put them on the heat. Makes a crispier and sweeter coating.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]You can grill them in a mesh basket or you can oven broil them on foil. I have one of those "set it and forget it" rotisseries with a mesh basket. Does a great job on fish or chicken with this recipe. Twenty or thirty minutes will get the job done, depending on how thick the fillets are. Don't overcook them.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Of course there are a thousand ways to fry white bass. I like to saute them in garlic and butter, with some olive oil mixed in to raise the smoke point of the butter. [/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]They are also great in my "pig out fish chowder". I plan to make a big batch of that as one of my first official duties when I get back.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]