Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Steelhead fishing
[font "Arial Black"][red][size 2] Has anyone here done any Steelhead fishing in Idaho and where? I want to give this a try , can anyone give me some information ?[/size][/red][/font]

[font "Arial Black"][#ff0000][size 2] AFDan52[/size][/#ff0000][/font]
[signature]
If you haven't checked out the Idaho regs you will be able to find some helpful info in there. Pages 61 to 65 have steelhead info and page 62 has a map of the steelhead waters. Nonresidents that don't already have a fishing license would save a lot of money if they bought a 3-day Steelhead license for $28.50 instead of buying the steelhead permit and fishing license separate. Summer isn’t really the time to fish for steelhead in Idaho even though there is a steelhead season open somewhere almost year round.

Here's a link to the fishing regs. http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/fish/rules

Here’s a link to the Steelhead info (pages 61-65) http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/fish/rules/steel.pdf

Also check out http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/fish/steelhead/home.cfm The links from this page will have good information during the steelhead season.

Field & Stream recently had an article about "The 50 best fishing waters" (or something like that) and they listed the Snake River and its tributaries as one of the best places to catch steelhead. I thought the article in Field & Stream was a joke because the Idaho F&G consider 1 steelhead per 20 hours of steelhead fishing to be good fishing. I'm not sure about you but I consider it extremely poor fishing if it takes the average guy even 10 hours to catch a fish. The holes are often shoulder to shoulder with fisherman so I think it is more fun going fishing for other species of fish.
[signature]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]Hey Dan,[/size][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]Brian knows his stuff and plaese take it to heart! If you are after Steelhead please invite me along???? LOL I need to learn to fish them. I will wear a diferent hat if need be![/size][/font]
[signature]
[font "Arial Black"][red][size 2] Hey Pat, we just need to get on the page. Anytime you want to go fishing just say the word buddy.[/size][/red][/font]

[font "Arial Black"][#ff0000][size 2] AFDan52[/size][/#ff0000][/font]
[signature]
steelhead fishing , now your talking my kind of fishing , yeee haaaa !

instead of nursing a hangover newyears day , you will find this sportsman waste deep in the frigid waters of the au sable or manistee rivers of michigan . this year , hmmm , a mere ten or twenty below . snow coverd banks , ice flows , slippery rocks , and 6 lb. test line , now thats fishing !

from dawn till dusk at every opertune day off of work till newyears eve the following year , round trip to the east side is a little over 150 miles , west side a little over 300 miles , dawn till dusk without as much as a meal inbetween other than a candybar and some jerkey . [blush]

not every trip yeilds a fish , or a hook-up , but when you do , look out ! screaming reels as two hundred feet of line peels off in three seconds flat , your rod bent over to the breaking point and the feel of one of those massive musslebound fish trying to take you on the adrenilin ride of your life , and more times than most , it's gonna shake its head or grab some sky and leave you standing there with a twisted , useless , stretched out line .

but beleve me , you won't be pissed off , your ready for more abuse and more and more and even more . time after time , day after day , year after year . the best of it is you'll remember each and every battle that you've had with these chunks of crome and your first one landed will guarintee a yell from deep down in your sole out to the surronding river and to all within a five mile radius .

i had one on today for[Smile] about 4 minutes in a 6 hour period , simply because i was fishing from shore . had i taken the waders and gone to the gravel beds i could of easily hooked up with half a dosen or so . 50 yards of line spent beyond use and a forged hook snaped in two . what a rush ![cool]

1 every ten hours ? those are the guys fishing close to the parking lot . ya' gotta put some exploring time in to get a better hook up ratio . gravel beds , deep holes and a couple hundred yards of elbow room are what you want . [Wink]

steelhead addict , that's me . the closest thing thay have for a cure is salmon fishing , but thats a temporary fix .[Tongue]

fish on , yeee haaaaa!
[signature]
I went up there this spring. We spent five days of fising and didnt hook a steelhead or even have a bite from one. What i did learn though is presentation and following the run is the single most important thing for the steelhead. and if you go to a local shop and ask where they are dont always beleive them. i spent 4 of the days with all the people and the advice of the shops fishing a area and they had mostly already ran through. the rig up is the basic steelhead rig for there and the shops can direct you there. i woudl say try to find someone who knows what they are talking about on the river and see where they are. also check the run numbers at the shops through the check points and that will give you a general idea where and what section they are on the river. i assume your talking about the salmon river. oh and get there early in the morning if you want to have a spot on a popular hole. it is absolute elbow to elbow in the hot holes. hope this helps
[signature]
Hey Dan i want to go fishing too>>>>>>>[Tongue]
[signature]