Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wow -Thanks Tube Dude for the help!
Went and did it,

Bought myself a Cuda 168, battery, etc., worked it up, and went to a local reservoir to test run it with Sparky and my tube for just a few hours. Forgot one of my bungies but did a work around so I wouldn't waste the trip.

I was so inamored by watching the screen and all the fish I was floating over without a bit that I forgot to fish. Well, I cast off to the side and watched the screen some more. Went to cast a different place and figured I was hung up on weeds except the weeds took off. I was on a fly rod with 5 # leader, 1/64 oz. jig and a small black worm. Wow, I didn't think I would ever get it up (I'm talking fishing now, lol) but eventually landed a 18 1/2 inch Largie!!!! Any estimates on weight? Of course, no camera again.

This is going to be fun!!!!! A couple of things I did on my own that might offer some ideas. I took a 1/2 in "tee" (plastic sprinkler syst. type. cut off the bottom about 1/4 in, and mounted the transducer mounting bracket to this resulting flat area which also opened up enough room to bring thru the elect. leads. This was screwed into a sprinkler syt. 1/2 in. threaded tube ( stiffer than pvc) and cut off to desired length, i.e. 20 in. This way, I can just unscrew it to make changes, etc. Also, cut a piece of styrofoam out to fit my tube pocket and then cut out the right dimension for my battery to put in and this makes a very stable/tight/light foundation for the battery in the tube pocket.

That Largie on my fly rod was an experience I will not forget!!!!! Good fishing all.

[crazy]Leaky
[cool][blue][size 1]By jingies, I think we gradiated another student. Way to go Leaky. I'll bet that was some kinda fun with the largie. Depending on girth, it would probably be in the 4 pound category.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]Don't get so mesmerized by watching the fishie icons that you forget to work the lures. If anything, the one bad thing about sonar is that it lets you know that there are a lot more fish in the water than you ever hook on your lures. But, it does help you to know that you are in fishy water. You can't catch them where they ain't.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Sounds like you make some good moves on hooking up the system. Good idea with the screw-on mount for the transducer. Also good thinking to stabilize the battery with the styrofoam cutout. No extra weight but all the support needed.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]You are really going to get an education when you take your new "eyes" to waters you think you know, and see what things really look like down there. It will seem like a whole new world. Now you gotta get one rigged up for Sparky so he can point out the fish as they move across his screen toward you.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]You didn't say, but I am guessing you fished the "no bait" lake that begins with M.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
[cool][#004000][size 2]Hey there leaky sounds like you had a good day. Like your idea about shaping a piece of styrofoam to contain your battery. Hope that you don't mind but I am going to borrow your idea. I also have a cuda 168ex. Works quite well. I am waiting for the next model to come out which will tell what species of fishing are in your area. [crazy] [/size][/#004000]
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]Hey Dryrod, I'm way ahead of you. I am working on a model that I have hybidized with a video game. Once I get it perfected, you can control the fish icons and make them bite on your hook. The "joy stick" will come in a variety of options...fly rod, baitcasting and spinning.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]The biggest problem is for those who plan to take some of their catch home for the table. Takes a lot of those little fishy icons to make up a decent fish fry.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
Hi again,

This is just an excuse to ask a question that I've asked on ou local board. I'm disguising it so I don't get the locals pissed/upset. Anyone out there have any first hand info. about me and my buddy's plans to go to Flaming Gorge on the 3rd, smallie fishing in our tubes and my Cuda? Too early, about right, waite a week or two?

Here's the latest on my Cuda 168 - Wanted to devise a syst. to put my "stuff" in something that I could carry easy and put in my tubes pocket when I got at my destination. Ended up with a simple stuff bag, 8"x30", small piece of cut out styrofoam to protect the transducer, tube and cable, wrapped the mount in a small towel, wrapped the screen in another small towel, stuffed, used a couple of cinch straps to separate these and another little clip on caryring strap to carry by hand along with fins, rod, and my tube which I have straps to carry on my back. Left my battery in my tube pocket incased it strofoam since it's heavy and I didn't want to damage my stuff in my stuff bag. Constructive ideas/criticisms?

Leaky
[cool][blue][size 1]Sounds like the creative juices are flowing. You are worse with styrofoam than I am with PVC. Good thinking though.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]My Super Fat Cat has wide long pockets that hold the transducer rod, display and base easily when not in use. So, I haven't had to work out a carrying case. But, most tubes do not have big enough pockets, so you have come up with some good ideas.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]By the way, I have just carved out some styrofoam to hold my battery in my tube too. Great idea.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]On the smallie fishing at the Gorge, I would be willing to bet that the first few nice days after the recent nasty weather will see the fish charging the banks and setting up housekeeping. You have a full moon coming up and the days around the full moon are likely to see the fish on the beds and active.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]As you well know, a sudden front moving in can turn off the action, but a couple of nice days in a row should see a lot of fish coming in. The first of June is a traditional beginning on the Gorge. In some years it is a week or two earlier...some a little later. I am betting that this year you will time it just about right.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Maybe you can coax a couple of those big bugle mouths to play with you again this year. There's some monsters in there.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]