Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Planer Mast Set-ups and double planer boards
The only real advantage of two masts vs one is that it's probably easier to connect your rod to the release. But you want your mast as high as possible and out of the way, yet easy to reachs the lines when attaching a new line.

The advantage of having a lot of releases is that you don't have to reel in the board as much to retrieve the releases. Getting a lot of lines out and cutting a wide swath is a good thing, but it requires two skilled guys and preferibly three--one to drive the boat, one to fight the hooked fish, and the other to reel in the inside lines when you hook a good fish.

Another diSadvantage of cutting a wide swath is that you're basically the same as a barge when it comes to turning--it would take almost the entire E-W width of Willard just to turn the boat around. That may be a bit of an exageration, but when you try it you'll know what I mean. And most Utah anglers don't know how to avoid this kind of setup. Heck, I have guys who almost run over my inline planers!

I've heard a lot of people talk down in-line boards since you have to fight the fish with a board attached, and fishing with big boards and a mast eliminate the issue--it's just you and the fish. And it's easier to spread out lines if you've got a half-dozen people in your boat (and they've all got 2-pole permits). But I've fished up to three in-line boards per side, plus another 3-4 straight out the back.

I guess you could just let your big boards out a short distance so instead of cutting a swath wider than the Titanic you have a more manageable set-up. But make sure you have some competent help in the boat.

Messages In This Thread
Re: [BearLakeMack] Planer Mast Set-ups and double planer boards - by Gumbo - 05-30-2004, 10:16 PM