Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UTAH LAKE!!!!!
this is a long one guys.....

i arrived at utah lake state park ar around 2 on friday, i started out using my cast net to get some carp for bait. but i could keep the crappie out of my net! 6-7 each throw! i finally caught a couple of little carp. i headed out to the north dike to see if i could get into the cats... not a chance in hell! the waves and the wind were crashing against the dike, so i headed back to the marina, i fished on first boat ramp until around dark, i ended up catching 20-30 bullheads, and 4 channels cats, i have never fished the marina for cats before, and i was pleasantly suprised! the channels were all around 3-5lbs. i had to go back to camp to eat, and that is when the storms rolled in! my family left and went to a hotel, my and my fishin bud stayed. we went back to the area at around midnight, and cuaght about 10 more bullheads.

Saturday: we fished the marina in the morning for about 3 hrs. first cast i hooked a 4lb channel. nice big male, spawning colors starting to show. i caught 15 muds or so. the weather calmed down so i hopped in the boat( 17ft alumacraft) and i headed down to the bubble up. fished it until 3:00 or so. i only caught 1 channel, but wasnt no 3lber it was 25 inches and was pushing 7lbs! i was stoked. i also caught a mess of bullheads there. we drove back to camp and ate some dinner. we went to the marina around 9 or so. i was using whole 5 inch carp, for bait, no weight i threw it were the light pole leaves a shadow, i left it for 2 hrs. with nothing. until my rod fell down and started to head for the water i barily got it before it fell in the water. i set the hook hard, and 10 minutes later i had a 13lb 28 inch channel cat! one of the biggest i have ever caught at utah lake. i got pics but they are getting developed i will post the pics sometime this week.

sunday: went out to bird island and fished the north side of the island. i found my ledge that i wanted to fish, i fished for about 4 hrs. i ended up catching 25 channels all between 2- 6lbs, i was using shrimp under a bobber and was fishing the drop side of the ledge. it was good fishing.

Monday: i fished at bird island again. i fished for about 4hrs. fishing was just as good, i was using carp meat under a bobber and was getting constantly hit. i caught 14 white bass on the cut bait, as well as 15 channel cats 6 bullheads and a 2lb walleye. i also hooked what i am positive was my biggest channel of my life i fouaght the brute for 25 minutes until it wrapped me up in the prop.

the best catfishing weekend of my life
JOe
[signature]
Great report! I wish I could get into the channels like that! Congrats. Man, I wonder what that big one was? Mighta been the new state record! It woulda been great to see a picture of him!
[signature]
Excellent report! Good to see that you had some decent fishing time on the water. Did you by chance get the water temp??? I haven't figured out a setup for my fishfinder on my little canoe/rowboat thing yet.
[signature]
Sounds like you really put the hurt on the fish! Congrats on a nice weekend of fishing. Lookin' forward to the pics of those bad boys. Good luck on your next trip out.
[signature]
Great report! Its always good to read reports of slammin' Kitties.
[signature]
What time of day were you fishing Bird Island and any mosquitos at Bird Island?
[signature]
Is there anywhere that you can pick up cheap shrimp for fishing, its kinda expensive otherwise. I was just wondering if you knew of somewhere cheaper.
[signature]
I just hit the local grocery store about the time they are closing and cleaning up the meat department, they usually just throw out alot of the seafood after a day or 2 and if you tell them you are looking for some shrimp for bait they will either just get you some, or tell you when they are going to throw some out and save some for ya.
[signature]
You have had better luck than I have. I tried asking the guy behind the counter at the Bountiful Smith's store one day and his reply was that it was illegal to let me have anything that he was throwing away. I have had the pleasure of paying full price for my shrimp. Those catfish have been eating better than I have!
[signature]
Joe,

I assume bird Island is to far for a float tube guy, right? I haven't been to Utah lake yet but want to go. Can any of you folks recommend a decent alternative for a float tube guy? Also vwry interested in white bass. Any hopes for me?

[unsure]Leaky
Leaky,

Yes, Bird Island is way too far to get to by float tube. You can fish the marinas, or if the wind is not too bad around Lincoln Beach.
[signature]
Shrimp are in the same neihborhood as worms. $1 or so a dozen. Compared to gas prices they are a bargin. Happy kittie fishin......
[signature]
The Wal-mart in Springville has shrimp in approximately 1 lb. packets for $3. They aren't the best quality if we are eating them but the kitties don't mind. They were cheaper than the worms I bought tonight. I too haven't had luck getting free shrimp from stores. I hope this helps some.
[signature]
[cool]Wow!! What an awesome weekend of fishing! Sounds like Utah Lake is really on fire now! It's great to see these upcoming temperatures of 90 degrees this week too. Should make the warm water fisheries do even better than they have so far. Gotta love this time of year.

Look forward to seeing those pictures, Utcatman. Especially that 13 pounder.

Quick question. I'm new to catfishin' from a boat with bait. In doing so, do you just shut off the motor and drift, or do you put out an anchor when fishing for kitties out there?
[signature]
I agree with Polokid. Talk to the meat counter manager and ask him/her when they clean out the display case and ask if you can have the really "ripe" shrimp for fishing and promise you are not going to eat it. At the Albertsons in Bountiful they just give me the stuff. Mr. J.
[signature]
Haven't finished reading the posts as yet. But when its on sale, 4 or 5 bucks a pound it is cheaper than nightcrawlers. I buy the 40/50 to a pound sz. Cost 5 bucks, 24 nightcrawlers cpst 3 bucks, so if you look at it that way shrimp isn't really that bad. That's what I told the wife too, she still isn't buying it.
[signature]
Thx I never thought about it like that lol, maybe the girl will buy it lol.

I have tryed the meat counter also and got the illegal lecture at walmart, you would think they could just say no I can't do it, instead of a long speal like the one I just made lol.
[signature]
Heck I never even thought of doing that before LOL. But I will be asking my less than friendly butcher when they throw them out. I bet I could talk FB2 into gathering some dumpster bait. LMAO I can sww him now, feet flailing in the air above the top of the dumpster LOL.
[signature]
Hey Leaky.. I've been fishing the Lincoln beach springs area quite a bit in my tube sence just after the ice came off. And whities are certainly within your reach from a tube, so are eyes.
[signature]
I will have those pics posted by sunday, i havnt made it to walmart yet to get the disc. and i am to lazy to buy a digital, oh there were no bugs either. I am headed out to bird island on sunday for some more kitty action, if anyone is going out there just look for a 00' 17ft alumacraft with a 45hp merc.

Peace

JOe

AKA cat man
[signature]