Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lake Mead - 8.0 Mile Road 6/1/04
[size 2] [font "comic Sans MS"] Well didn't make it up to Haymeadow as planned but I did make it out to 8.0 Mile Road. I hit the lake about 05:30 and suited up one rod with anchovy and started tossing lures with the other. Right off the bat the anchovy rod started dancing but no takers. After about hour it became apparent that lures were not the way to go. The bite on anchovy was coming about every ten to fifteen minutes. So I setup my other rod for anchovy. Finally picked up a Striper at around 07:00, it was only a 1 1/2 to 2 lbs. The morning continued with several bites but no eaters. Once again at about 09:00 another Striper pretty close to the same size as the first. Low producing day but the bites kept me interested. Packed up around 11:00 and almost headed for home. Got back up to the truck and saw a guy standing to the side of his truck scratching his head. He was buried in the gravel up to and above the axle with a Wave Runner in tow. It took us about a hour to dig him out. Also think I may have wore about 5,000 mile of wear off my tires. That is the first time (that I know of) a 2-wheel drive had to bail out a 4-wheel drive. All in all it was a good day. [/font] [/size]
[signature]
ill bet it wasnt a jeep . .

sm
[signature]
[size 2] [font "comic Sans MS"] You're right, it wasn't. It was a Chevy Blazer but his front wheels wouldn't engage. If they had I don't think he would have had a problem getting through the gravel. [/font] [/size]
[signature]
well thats 2 or 3 you've dug out this spring, you're building up some great fishing karma . .

sm
[signature]
[size 2][font "comic Sans MS"]Here are some early morning pictures. If there was ever a day for me to put my boat on Lake Mead, yesterday was the day. [/font][/size]
[signature]
wow the one calm day of the year and I missed it! that phone takes good pics!

sm
[signature]
[size 2] [font "comic Sans MS"] That's the way is looking. Maybe it's a calling. But I don't want to change my username again. "towtruckman" or "diggerdude" just doesn't have the same ring to it. [/font] [/size]
[signature]
[size 2] [font "comic Sans MS"] We finally broke down and bought a digital camera. I wish my phone pics were that good, it would have saved me a lot of money. I think it was too calm, I seem to do better out there when the wind is blowing. [/font] [/size]
[signature]
I'll have to show you a few tricks to catching those fish. I don't know if it's just the area but you should have non-stop action. Channels cats should be slamming your line with stripers mixed in.

I'll let you know when I make my first trip down.
[signature]
[size 2] [font "comic Sans MS"] Come on down hedgesd, I'll dust of a rock for ya. The way they were acting the Striper were the ones that hit and ran with it. The catfish were only gut sucking, (man that sounds disgusting) once they cleaned out the middle of the anchovy they moved on. Plus I was only after the Striper, I still have several filets of catfish in the freezer. [/font] [/size]

[size 2] [font "comic Sans MS"] David [/font] [/size]
[signature]
he uses chicken livers . . swears by 'em

sm
[signature]
Let the cat out of the bag why don't you. Heck now I've got to find some new killer bait, ya right. The only problem is they come of the hook to easy. Got to get them on the first hit or two or you'll get nothing.

I'll bring some of my good striper and cat bait when I head down.

Hey is live bait legal in Nevada?
[signature]
[font "Arial"][size 3][left][size 2] [font "Comic Sans MS"] I've heard if you soak them in salt water or microwave for a few minutes they will toughen up. At Lake Mead, you can use just about everything except game fish parts, dynamite, or electricution. [/font] [/size][/left] [left][size 2] [font "Comic Sans MS"] David [/font] [/size][/left][/size][/font][font "Arial,Bold"][size 5][/size][/font]
[signature]