Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bird Island Report
Did an overnighter to Bird Island last night. The fifty something guy slept for 2 hours and the twenty something guy slept for 4 hours. They just don't make fishermen the way that they used to. Started fishing at 7:00 PM, and I knocked off for the night at 3:30 AM. I caught 15 channel cats, and my fishing buddy caught 9. My best bait was either a whole, or 1/2 of a perch (Sawdustbob, thanks for the idea of fishing with perch). We only managed one fish in the morning, before leaving about 9:3O. Nothing huge, they were all between three and four pounds. Those birds, and there are plenty of them, put up a racket all night long. No mosquitos, but there are plenty of midges (not a fly fisherman, but that is what I was told they are) are thick after dark, when the wind dies down, if one turns on a light.
[signature]
Thanks for the report. I was contemplating going to Bird Island tonight (Saturday) but I think I will need to put that off for a week. After working hard in the yard all day today until about 4:30, this 50 year old probably wouldn't make it until midnight. Mr. J.
[signature]
Glad you had good luck(I know,I know....it was all skill)those young guys need more sleep.I used to take my son,Grandson on the trail up to Delicate Arch to wear them out, don't think I could do it any more with the Grandson.[Wink]
[signature]
Went out to Bird Island around 7Pm tonight and the 3 of us fished until just after Sun Down. Had a good few hours of fun FIshing. Caught two very large Channels cats and approx 10 mud cats. I found the best bait combination as I was goofing around. I had some beef Jerky Links ( round) I was eating and decided to put a piece on my hook with a Night crawler. Within minutes I had a large channel cat. Everyone else did the same thing, all three of us had fish on within 5 minutes of using the jerky & worm combination. The jerky was working better than shrimp? Water was calm with a beautiful sunset. After the sun set the bugs were just brutal.
[signature]