Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rockport Report
Finally made it fishing for the first time this year. I got up to Rockport around 8:00 AM and started at the dam. There were only a couple of other people fishing in that area and everyone seemed to be doing ok with an occasional catch.

I ended up getting 3 pearch in the two hours that I was there. I cought more snags than fish though. Just tiped a worm on a small hook and a water filled bubble and slowly pulled it in to the shore.

This is accually the first time that I've kept any pearch that I'v caught. many years ago when I was fishing with my dad and we'd hook a pearch, he would say it was a trash fish and throw them back. I am looking forward to trying pearch meat for the first time. although I understand that this will be more like a snack than a meal with only getting three.

Now here's a question. I remember way back once upon a time that someone was giving instructions on how to filet pearch but I can't find it in my notes. Can anyone give me some pointers on this. Or do you filet them the same way you would a trout?
[signature]
I bet you love your first perch meat. Yes they fillet pretty much the same as trout but you will fewer small bones in them. Once you remove the ribs they are pretty much bone free. They are tasty little fish. Hope you enjoy em.
[signature]
Thanks for the info. I was kind of sure that you cut them up like trout but I didn't know for sure because the are a little smaller then them.

Snag'd
[signature]
I used to ice fish at Fish Lake for perch years ago and we would take home a mess to eat. Good stuff. My friend Rod said "each perch is like two french fries, and how many fries can you eat?" Acey
[signature]