Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Utah Lake
Fished off the Airport Dike on the east side of the lake on Sunday night. Started fishing at about seven thirty and fished till one. I caught nine catfish, 2 big channels and the rest were some of the biggest mudcats I've ever seen. The water was extremely shallow, considering I walked out 100 yards into the lake and the water only came to my knees. But I found some sticks and reeds way out in the lake and my first fish was about a four pound channel. I caught the fish all on nightcrawlers and a #4 hook. Took my dog with me, he had a good time till the wave action made him a little chilly. The water was bathtub warm when I first got in but as darkness came, it cooled a little. I got to hear two coon fights too....boy those suckers are nasty. Freaked my dog out too, even though he is as big as a house. Anyway, it was a good night to get out and fish, and I'm sure I will do it again next week some time. I didnt' have a stringer and I didn't want to put the fish in the back of my vest and have them poke me, so I let them all go but what a rush. I also had a nifty little contraption to combat the wind that worked spectacularly for me. Its a little wooden deal, about the size of a wine cork with a metal hook coming out the top. You hook this onto your line just past the reel and it creates a sag in your line. When the fish takes, the "bobber" rises up and you can tell you are getting a bite. Man, had no problems at all with the wind after I started using that thing. The old guy that gave me a couple really knew what he was doing. I didn't see anyone else shore fishing....the water is really shallow until you get way out in the lake. I was thinking about fishing Lincoln Beach that way....wading out until I got into substantially deep water.... Is that even a feasible idea out there or am I better off wading on the Provo side??
[signature]
[Smile] I use something similar to your bobber idea, I use a walnut. simply screw a small hook into the top( like the ones you would use to hang a plant from your ceiling but smaller), Then for night fishing for cats I paint them white so they can be easily seen.
[signature]
I have some bells that I clip onto my rods at night. When a fish hits you know that you have a fish on, or that Santa Claus is in the area.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff][size 1]I have done a lot of wading around Lincoln Beach. It can put you out into some "unused" water, but it can also result in stepping off into a hole if you are not careful about placing your feet slowly and carefully as you go.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]There are also a lot of hooks, jigs, crankbaits and tangled monofilament in some areas. The rocks and snags off Lincoln Beach are notorius for eating tackle. Unless you wear steel boots and leggings you can end up with hooks in your lower extremities, or else hogtied to the bottom. I got tangled up in a mess of mono one day coming in from float tubing and had to cut my way out with my knife. Some of the line I had to cut through would have been strong enough to anchor an ocean going vessel. Makes you wonder what some folks are fishing with...and for.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
Haven't you heard of the Moss Monster of Lincoln beach? If you're gonna try and hook him you gotta use half inch steel cabling and a meat hook from the butcher! [crazy]
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]MOSS MONSTER? Sounds like a mega-carp to me. But some of that "hawser cable" that gets strung around the bottom out there might fit the bill.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]Coincidentally, I wrote a short story many years ago about "The Monster of Willard Bay"...that actually rose up and gulped down float tubers off the surface. It turned out to be a giant mutant channel cat that had been exposed to a dose of radiation (how original). He was finally lured into the inlet channel of the south marina and blown up while snuggling up to a dummy giant female catfish full of C-4. I think I still have it in the archives somewhere.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
Now Pat,, That I have ta read,, LMAO!
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]Hey Don, I lost it off my hard drive last fall when my computer puked, but I have a hard copy. I will scan it and shoot you a copy.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]It was written over 20 years ago, so the names have been changed to protect the idiots.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
I just used a normal red and white bobber dangled from my line for years night fishing in the wind. Last year I picked up some bells that actually attach to your pole. I really like these for the dark places on the lake/river. What make these nice is you can still cast with them unlike the copper bells that just clamp on the end of your line. I have also used a (name of soda brand or suds) can with line rapped around it and the bail open. This works well unless it is really windy and the can keeps blowing over. I'll be heading out tonight. Probably start at the river around the model airplane strip, and end up at pelican bay. Hope I do as well as you did.
[signature]