Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2nd hand Starvation report
I just talked with a co-worker that fished Starvation on Saturday. She said that between the 4 on the boat, they caught 9 fish. 8 Walleye and 1 Smallie.

She said they had to move around to find fish, but caught one or two in most places they fished. The Walleye mostly came out of the Indian Bay to Rabbit Gultch area.

Knowing her, I can say with 90% certainty that they were casting smaller sinking Raps in perch pattern.

I might have to sneak over one afternoon this week, if the "W" allows and check it out. I need to make sure I fixed my boat anyway.
[signature]
The "W" still blowing like crazy out there???
[signature]
There was only intermitant breezes on the Gorge Saturday, but the co-worker told me that at 2:30 it started blowing down here, and didn't let up until dark. It blew about average (10-15m.p.h. with gusts around 25) for out here all day Sunday and yesterday instead of just in the afternoon. With the weather report, I would guess this week will be bad until at least Thursday. It isn't blowing at all right now, but I bet by 2:00-3:00, it will be.

The last few weeks have just been rotten out here for wind. We may have had two or three days where it wasn't blowing all day long.

When are you coming back out to SW? My girlfriend and her brother are bugging me to take the boat over there more so we can learn the lake better. Thier grandpa has fished it since he was a kid, and they say he can give us all the info we would ever need on catching the larger trout. He pulls a few of those "nice Browns" out of there very year. You know the ones I mean. They showed me some pictures, and all I can say is "WOW"!
[signature]
I was out there over Memorial Weekend, but stayed at the prop in Altonah. I went over to SW one evening to fish, but couldnt compete with the 4 ft whitecaps. Seems they are busy at work over there. No sense putting too much time learning that lake now, it soon will all change.

As for big fish, i have caught some huge bows and browns out of there, but i think most of them are gone now, except for a few that make it through the feeder canal. It got so low last year i probably all but got fished out. but then again i dont know!!!

I need to get out there again soon, but i will probably spend some good amounts of time on Moon Lake. I am now working 2 jobs and 7 days a week. Really sucks!!!!
[signature]
Hey Curtisfish, you ever get in to any of those huge browns on starvation? I've caught plenty of small eyes in the summer and a few browns in the fall but nothing of any size.
[signature]
I hit a few Browns almost every spring, but I wouldn't call them huge. The biggest was 25 inches. Although it is still the biggest Brown I have ever caught anywhere, I've seen some monsters come out of there and the Green, so I won't be happy until I get one over 10lbs.
[signature]
[font "Arial Black"][red][size 2] Sounds like I better get up there, I have never been there but starting to sound very good to me.[/size][/red][/font]

[font "Arial Black"][#ff0000][size 2] AFDan52[/size][/#ff0000][/font]
[signature]
It can be a lot of fun. It can also be very frustrating. I have heard more than one person say the lake is hard to learn. Some say that the Walleye are just enough different that they need to be fished a little different than on other lakes. I mostly disagree. Except for depth, I use pretty much the same techniques as Deer Creek. They seem to school a little more than on other lakes I've fished them on, so I think it makes them a little easier in ways. With the overpopulation, competition for food is pretty high, so they bite fairly hard for Walleye. The Smallies are just about everywhere, and are willing to hit jigs, cranks, tubes, spinners....., so I don't know why they would be difficult, other than the bigger ones of course. The Browns are Browns. They come and go. When they are on, you can catch them in shallower water in a number of places just casting jigs or trolling/casting minnow crankbaits. When they are off, they are OFF. I'm still working on that one.

Come on out and give it a try. I'll meet you there if I can.
[signature]