Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Orleans???
Ok, so maybe this is a little off for the Utah board....

I just found out I will be heading down to New Orleans for a little over a week on 06/18. About 1/2 of that time will be vacation time and I would love to try some fishing down there. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find anything on the Internet, like this board for that area. There isn't a forum for that area on BFT that I can see.

The only sites I can find are commercial guides that want around $300+ / day, and some are only 1/2 day.

On this board, it seems that, if someone new showed up in town and wanted to try fishing, someone here would just say "sure, bring lunch and pay gas and we'll go". I know I wouldn't mind doing that if I have the time.

I would love to find someone like that down there, but so far no luck.

Does anyone here have any ideas?

It's probably a stretch, but worth the try.
[signature]
No suggestions on how to hook up with someone but you definitely need to fish while you are there. Hit the bayou for some great fishing with gators swimming around you. There are numerous lakes but the best may be to fish the Gulf there though you would have to pay for that. There is some incredible fishing where the Mississippi flows. All sorts of game fish there and I think you are there for some of the best.

Not much help but I do want ot offer some encouragement to go while you are there. Truly a sportsmans paradise.
[signature]
Amazing,

Would you believe I went thru the same thing in April? I was looking for one or two days of fresh water shore fishing with hiking if needed. Depending on what you're looking for this is what I learned. 1) Hardly no one fishes from shore unless they are chair and bobber type. Most everyone uses a boat. 2) You can't go blind and expect any kind of success. You need to go with someone who knows the area or go with a local charter. 3) Many fresh water canals, etc. lead into salt water and you either need a salt water license or know your salt water fish so you don't get fined. 4) Salt water licenses are 4 times as much as fresh water.

If I was to do it over again I would bite the bullet and go with a local charter. I did have a good time fishing a canal in the Big Marsh Wildlife Refuge that was suggested by fish officer there but it was tough. I did get several suggestions by posting up on a couple of web sites and I would certainly suggest you try. I had the best response from the "rodnreel" site. Try these:

[url "http://www.rodnreel.com/forum/FORUM.asp?FORUM_ID=12"][#800080]http://www.rodnreel.com/forum/FORUM.asp?FORUM_ID=12[/#800080][/url]

[url "http://www.nola.com/forums/fishing/"][#800080]http://www.nola.com/forums/fishing/[/#800080][/url]

Hope this helps - Leaky
I actually grew up about an hour away from New Orleans; I just moved here about a year ago. You have to go fishing while you are there. You should see if you can hook up with a charter for speckled trout you can get into some great topwater action with those suckers and since you catch them mainly inland around the marsh it should be one of the cheaper charters you could find. You might also get into some of the monster redfish down there. Both are great fighters and great eating.
[signature]
try nola.com it is a chat room in n.o. but there are some locals on there that are pretty good guys with lots of info on fishing down there good luck
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]I spent a while in New Orleans, several years ago. It is a fisherman's paradise. However, you can spend a lot of time floundering around unless you get some help from the locals. There's a lot of water and a lot of fish, but like everywhere, there are places and times when the fishing is more user friendly.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]If you want fresh water fishing, there are rivers, sloughs and lakes that have lots of bass (green trout) and crappies (sacalait) and big sunfish (brim). Most of the standard plastics and hardbaits will work. Flipping is especially good up under the weed cover and brushy shorelines for bass. Catch crappies and sunfish around structure...docks, trees, etc.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]I did a lot of float tube fishing in the saltwater canals down below New Orleans, around Buras. Got lots of big redfish, seatrout and flounders fishing twisters and swimbaits that work on Utah's fishies too. Whites, yellows, chartreuse and smoke sparkle are good colors. On many occasions, in shallow water, they will pop topwater chuggers, poppers and buzzbaits.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]This time of year you need to be careful about snakes and gators if you go bank fishing...or tubing. There are some big eastern diamondbacks and lots of water moccasins. And, some of the gators are big enough to do some damage.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]If you get the time and have a few bucks, catch a charter out of Venice and go out fishing the gulf offshore, around the oil rigs. Lots of yellowfin tuna and some other worthwhile heavyweights too. Inshore fishing and surf fishing can be very productive on a lower budget.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Good luck on getting specific info in the area. There are baitshops and fishing-oriented businesses on every corner in some areas down there. Stop in and look at the pictures and maps and ask some questions. Also, take a rock to tie around your leg. Those big marsh mosquitoes are fierce. Even worse are the tiny "no-see-ums". They can cover your bare arms and make your skin feel like it is on fire when they all munch on you at the same time.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]One of my favorite fish down there were the small "marsh bass", in the brackish water canals down by Venice. On an incoming tide, you will catch them along with redfish and trout (weakfish), on the same lures. They are not big but the salt in the water seems to give them some extra spunk. Kinda like smallies on steroids.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]